snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - anyone seen it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - anyone seen it?
jenovatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 18 posted      Profile for jenovatrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished watching this...and all I have to say is WOW. I was really impressed with the way the movie turned out, considering I hadn't seen any trailers for it. It pretty much puts paid to some theories I had as to "what happened to the characters after the game?" Don't worry, I won't spoil it [Smile]

The visuals are absolutely stunning. My boyfriend's got a degree in 3D animation and he was drooling the whole time. It also has voiceovers and subtitles. I watched it with voiceovers and I have to say the voice acting didn't seem bad to me (there were some reviews saying the voice actors weren't that good).

The DVD comes with a recap of the game for anybody who hasn't played it, but it is a little goofy since it jumps from scene to scene.

Makes me want to play it again....

So has anyone else seen it, and if so, what did you think?

--------------------
"Flaming Bags of Poo should not be delivered indefinitely after a bad date." - Sims 2 patch fix
my space ::my kitty friend, Orion

Posts: 181 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a fan-subtitled version a few months ago; I've not quite caught up to the English release, but I'll probably rent it sometime soon.

I thought it was pretty-- wonderful eye candy-- and I want that ring tone. I didn't care much for the plot, though; I didn't quite understand where the Geostigma (or however it's officially been dubbed) came from or what the point was. Maybe an official dub'll make it more clear....

Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same kinda opinion here really; I thnk that it's the best CGI I've ever seen. Some of it is getting close to photo-realism. It was very stylish, and the music and voices were great(this is the Japanese dub I'm talking about). I wasn't that taken in by the storyline, but my SO who is obsessed with FFVII seemed to get a lot more out of it than me.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the Final Fantasy movie they should have released in place of The Spirits Within (I enjoyed that movie but it was Final Fantasy in name only). It was great to see what had happened to all the characters since the game. The fights were awesome. I hope this movie does well and encourages other RPG makers to do similar movies. I would love to see a Lunar movie.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chipphaha
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chipphaha   E-mail chipphaha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched my copy and it was awesome! Now I can't wait for FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus to come out for the PS2.
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
I hope this movie does well and encourages other RPG makers to do similar movies. I would love to see a Lunar movie.

That would be cool to. Though I rather see one based on one of the Suikoden series.
Posts: 15 | From: Bedford, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
I hope this movie does well and encourages other RPG makers to do similar movies. I would love to see a Lunar movie.

What I hope is it encourages people to make movies that actually follows the story of the video game.A lot of Movies and TV series inspired afer video games were dismal failures after people decided to give them a "new approach".Movies like Final Fantasy:Spirits Within,Street Fighter and Tomb Raider just took a few elements from their games and made a completely new story.FF:SW was the worst for taking absolutely nothing from past FF games.

I loved Advent Children.I hope they make a movie-sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics,wich ended rather abruptly.I still don't get the ending

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stooopid slow computer waffles.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the fan-sub and LOVED it.
I agree that the geostigmata could have been explained a little better, but the visuals made up for any holes I thought there were in the plot.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that's true. Geostigma wasn't explained well. I think anyone who hasn't played the game might get a bit lost. Then again, it's aimed at people who played the game and are familiar.

It was a beautifully-done film, but I thought the action sequences were a bit long and overdone. I also really wish that some of the other characters from the game had gotten more screen time. (read: Vincent Valentine.)

I have a Vincent Valentine Advent Children action figure sitting on the shelf by my desk. I guess I am officially a fangirl.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen bits of it here and there, and will probably buy it when I go to Animazement next month. It was either the movie or the Tifa figure, and the Tifa figure was on sale. So moonfall, I will join you in your fan-ness. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We rented it and my kids loved it. I thought it was like a video game [Wink] . It seemed to make more sense with the words in Japanese with English subtitles.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only watched the sub-titled version so far, and I thought it was great! Especially including the bit at the end with Aeris and Zack. But it's definitely aimed at people who've played the game. It makes a LOT more sense if you've explored the game to its fullest extent.

But I don't need to tell you clever folks that, do I? [Big Grin]

Loved the game, loved the movie. And I totally agree about The Spirits Within. It didn't even have chocobos or moogles! [Frown]

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely loved it, it made me feel even more justified in donating so much time to FF7.

Aeris and Zack made me sniffle, but just a little. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages