snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » New Monopoly game coming this fall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Monopoly game coming this fall
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 200 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one is based on landmarks in American cities.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I refuse to buy any "new" board games until they re-release the original Game of Life where you discover uranium... instead of the new froo-froo one where you start a bird sanctuary. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jenovatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenovatrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right on, PI.

I loved the old Life and I find the new one appallingly yuppie-ish. I got the Simpsons edition of it instead.

"Take Orange-Eating Class at Adult Education Center"....classic. [Smile]

--------------------
"Flaming Bags of Poo should not be delivered indefinitely after a bad date." - Sims 2 patch fix
my space ::my kitty friend, Orion

Posts: 181 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 01 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we could create "Snopesopoly"! [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Land on Park Place, lose a kidney?

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 500 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be based on the forums and classic ULs. Who wants to buy "Glurge Gallery"? [Razz]

--------------------

JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Take a Chance: Your bank is owned by the KKK. Pay $200. [Razz]

On a serious note, I want Spider-Man Monopoly back in print! I had no spending money when it was on the shelves. Now that I do have cash on me, I can't find it any more. [Frown]

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:
Take a Chance: Your bank is owned by the KKK. Pay $200. [Razz]

On a serious note, I want Spider-Man Monopoly back in print! I had no spending money when it was on the shelves. Now that I do have cash on me, I can't find it any more. [Frown]

ebay

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:

Google is your friend!

http://www.spideyshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/612

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very true. I always neglect to think about E-Bay (possibly because I enjoy the challenge of searching for things).

ETA: Same goes for Google.

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 500 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering: what would we get when we pass Go?

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Posts? [Smile]

Link coupons. Each coupon is good for sending a link to the snopes debunking page to a single "friend".

Instead of the various sections of snopes, the properties would be the various ULs. The more widely distributed the UL, the better the property would be values. So the one about boycotting Dr Pepper because they removed "Under God" would be the Park Place property.

Instead of houses or hotels, you would add CCs or a group to the email. So if someone landed on boycott Dr Pepper with four CCs, they would have to send the links to the debugging page to 300 people. If boycott Dr Pepper had a group send, then the lander would have to send the debugging page to 400 people.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This year the high school had Hermistonopoly boards made for a fund raiser.

The local business were encouraged to purchase their 'properties' as ads to fund it.
Turned out ok.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shador
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shador     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, they changed Life? I used to have that game. I do believe I had the uranium one. It has long been lost now. They changed it to a bird sanctuary? What else did they change?

Also, am I the only one not liking this "redesign" of Monopoly. I hope they have the good sense to keep the original around too. Jeez, didn't folks learn from New Coke? You don't NFBSK with a classic.

Posts: 25 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto to Shador's second paragraph.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Britain there are many different versions of Monopoly. The original UK edition was based on London, but this has been joined by many others.

I am a member of Lancashire Cricket Club and its ground, Old Trafford, is featured on the Manchester version. On our forum we recently had a post from a member of another club asking for us to vote for his county's ground to be featured on its town's version.

Out of curiosity, I believe the original US version of the game featured Atlanta. Why was Atlanta chosen and not the more 'obvious' choices of New York, Washington or LA?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shador

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shador     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Original US featured Atlantic City. I believe that is where the inventor of the game lived.
Posts: 25 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes they destroyed The Game of Life, I can't remember all of the details,but for one you pick your profession from a stack of cards, not by a roll. There are other changes also that just ruined the game. Thank goodness I boought the game just before the changes were made.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Shador said, sort of: Charles Darrow, who patented Monopoly in 1935, used Atlantic City, New Jersey as the model. Darrow did not invent the game, however; he merely patented a game he'd learned from Quaker friends growing up in Pennsylvania (cite).

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm didn't know they changed LIFE. We still have that game from when we were kids... along with a bunch of others...all of them are over 30 years old now. Niece plays some of the board games from time to time [Smile]

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forcadragons

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forcadragons     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can buy customised Monopoly games ( http://www.mymonopoly.com/ ).

When my niece got married, one of her wedding presents (from one of her bridesmaids) was a customised Monopoly with all the significant places from both of their lives. From where they were both born, where they went to school, where they met, where they went on their first date, right up to where they got married. They loved it!

--------------------
We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.

Posts: 130 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shador

Well yes but is that only for the UK?

Also:
quote:
You agree that you will not submit to the My Monopoly web site or otherwise place an order for a My Monopoly product specifying material which ... b) contains any material which is the subject of a trade mark, copyright or any other intellectual property right belonging to a third party and which you do not have permission to use or which violates any other third party rights
Darn, there goes my anime-themed board. [Frown]
Purple Iguana

quote:
Originally posted by Shador:
Wait, they changed Life? I used to have that game. I do believe I had the uranium one. It has long been lost now. They changed it to a bird sanctuary? What else did they change?

Let's just say it's way too froo-froo, touchy-feely, mega-super-ultra PC, love the environment etc... and hey, while I'm all for not squatting where I eat in REAL LIFE, the GAME of Life is a frickin' GAME! Why'd they have to change it? To make it better for 7 year olds to play? WAH! Why don't they just have the new version for kids and the old version for grown-ups?

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please do not pass Atlantic City

Hasbro is holding an online election on the Monopoly Web site where people can help select the locations that make it onto the new board.

But sadly - and in my opinion, wrongly - Hasbro has omitted Atlantic City from the list of candidate cities, generating an uproar from die-hard fans around the world. After all, what American street is more legendary than the Boardwalk in Atlantic City?

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060609/OPINION/606090315/1285

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family only owns the Canadian edition. The order of the streets is determined by where they are located in Canada east to west. Newfoundland has the cheapest, and BC has the most expensive. When I went with my family on a cross-country trip a few summers ago, we visited most of the streets. When my mom made up the photo album, she photocopied each of the cards and included them in the album.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

But sadly - and in my opinion, wrongly - Hasbro has omitted Atlantic City 5

Well that's dumb.

--------------------

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
Out of curiosity, I believe the original US version of the game featured Atlanta. Why was Atlanta chosen and not the more 'obvious' choices of New York, Washington or LA?

Others have already pointed out that it was Atlantic City, not Atlanta, but could you imagine if it was Atlanta! "I've got a hotel on Peachtree Ave., two houses on Peachtree Street, a house on Peachtree Blvd..." [lol]

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Britain there are many different versions of Monopoly. The original UK edition was based on London, but this has been joined by many others.

The interesting thing is that the Arabic version of Monopoly was also based on London.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Back in the 20s, Atlantic City was one of the USs major resort cities. At that time people couldn't hop on a plane and travel thousands of miles on a whim, so people had to take vacations much much closer to home. So people from the Northeast often took vacations in Atlantic City, which was much closer than the resorts that are most popular today. Today Atlantic City is more of a mini-Las Vegas (a city that barely existed at that time). So as a popular resort city, it had a booming real estate market with residential land being bought up by developers and made into hotels, so the Monopoly game fit it perfectly.

Back when the game was released, LA wouldn't have been such an obvious choice. At that point it was expanding rapidly but it was still a very new city. Washington has never really been the type of resort area with lots of real estate speculation. The hot properties in Washington are mostly government owned. New York would have worked, though. I guess it ultimately just comes down to where the creator was familiar with.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a listing on EBay for a Game of Life from 1960. I bet there's no political correctness in this one. I'm curious what it's got. Career at the tobacco company? Catching a communist spy? Preventing integration in the local school district? This one's got to be loads of fun!

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages