snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » Worst things to happen to Comedy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worst things to happen to Comedy
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by the Music Version of the same. Except i have no Link to give you. In this one we do our own!

I decided to do this after watching recent comedies (i'm from Uk) and reading a recent article quoting Ricky Gervais as saying British Comedy is dead. And in my persuit for valid reason to deny and disregard this quote, came upon it rather depressingly when i could'nt find a true comedy great of modern era. Depressing indeed.

My contribution-

-Adam Sandler - Although i know i'll be flamed for that one

-Flash-backs - okay, I'm a fan of Family Guy. And was perfectly okay with it being their thing. But now everyone is using it's getting annoying.

-Situation Comedy - It seems the art of a decent script these days are out the window. And all we're left to laugh at is the situation / character.

-Remakes - need i say more?

-Friends - good program, i'm not saying that. but the countless offspring it's created is overwhelming.

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder:
-Friends - good program, i'm not saying that. but the countless offspring it's created is overwhelming.

Pretty much anyone/anything that creates too many imitators is a bad thing. When Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor broke taboos back in the 60's and 70's it was cutting edge humor, but now that everyone talks dirty it's as much a cliche as mother-in-law jokes.

I'm getting tired of "observational humor" about men vs. women. Come on, not all guys hog the remote and not all women want to have endless relationship talks!

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...-Situation Comedy - It seems the art of a decent script these days are out the window. And all we're left to laugh at is the situation / character....

Word

I have no idea who watches sitcoms anymore. I just can't see any humor in them and the plots are so pretictable it's absolutely painful.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of comedy series only seem to become 'great' when they've finished making them.
ie Fawlty, Bread, Seinfeld. Some long outstayed their welcome to the point of becoming turgid whence they were once refreshing, like Friends or Frasier

ETA: misread the title!

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
-Adam Sandler - Although i know i'll be flamed for that one

Not by me [Smile]

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sitcoms are as popular as ever -- in reruns.

New shows -- not so much. But they said sitcoms were dead 20 years ago, and "The Cosby Show" changed everyone's mind.

Add to the list:

Fart jokes. They seem required in any film comedy these days, and they have long ago stopped being funny.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RealityChuck, the punisher:
Fart jokes. They seem required in any film comedy these days, and they have long ago stopped being funny.

Definitely. Toilet humor in general is just way too easy, and only makes the youngest members of the audience laugh.

--------------------
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they should put a quota of family comedy sitcoms allowed on TV in a given year.And that quota should be 0,they did more than enough already

Actors from popular shows who think they can be stand-up comedians are just annoying.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AceyDeucy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AceyDeucy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow...I can think of so many things:

The Farrely Brothers
The Ephron Sisters
Martin Lawrence (His sitcom was the only thing he did that was even decent. His movies...well...ugh...moving on)
Last Comic Standing
Howie Mandel
Saturday Night Live (post-1994)
Wings (and every other tepid never-say-die sitcom behind it. I'm looking at YOU, "Yes, Dear.")
Richard Coyle leaving "Coupling"
Paul Reiser (not from his standup, but his willingness to subsume his actual self to work on TV)
Eddie Murphy (This truly pains me.)
Dennis Miller (mainly the sellout version from 2001 on, but not giving a pass to the version that started phoning it in a year into Saturday Night Live)

--------------------
This sentence contains two erors.

Posts: 4 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
I think they should put a quota of family comedy sitcoms allowed on TV in a given year.And that quota should be 0,they did more than enough already

Actors from popular shows who think they can be stand-up comedians are just annoying.

Who are you thinking of? I can think of plenty of examples of the opposite direction (give the funny comic a sitcom): Roseanne, Margaret Cho, Brett Butler, Jerry Seinfeld, Ray Romano, that Titus guy. . .

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Laugh tracks
  • Sitcoms that attempt to explain the joke. If it's too complicated that it requires an explanation, or if you think that I'm too stupid, then it's not funny
  • Any sitcom that features a dumb guy who is married to a hot, intelligent babe, who continues to stay with him, despite the guy screwing up week after week, doing things that show no consideration for anyone but himself, and somehow, she manages to "stand by her man", because, you know, that's what women are suppossed to do. Not only does it reinforce a bad stereotype, it's not funny because it's overdone!! We know what is going to happen next, because it has been done a million times since the 70's.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1978   E-mail Richard1978   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Bread's really had the reassesment it needs, the first 3 series were great but went off quickly afterwards. If it had ended when they had their holiday to Rome I'm sure it would be remembered a lot better.
Posts: 372 | From: Marple, UK | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
White guys trying to use black slang. Enough with the kashizzles. It's never been funny watching one race try to imitate another.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that because all black people speak in kashizzles? Are all new slang words and methods of expression always race dependant? What if slang is invented by a person of mixed race? Who gets those words? Do they have to be shared?

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Raunchy teen sex comedies

Rob Schneider

Spoofs

Fat/Skinny jokes -It takes a lot of imagination to state the obvious about someones physical appearance.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Carrey and Carlos Mencia. Carlos Mencia bothers me more right now because I have to see him all the time on commercials and hear countless references from random people. You know what, Carlos? I didn't like the random screaming when Sam Kinison did it, and I don't like it now. Also, what's so funny about pregnant teenage Mexicans? Every time I've caught a snippet of the show he mentions them again. It doesn't help that one of my best friends is Mexican and thinks that shit is so hilarious. I'd like to get through one day without having to hear him call himself a beaner.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Is that because all black people speak in kashizzles? Are all new slang words and methods of expression always race dependant? What if slang is invented by a person of mixed race? Who gets those words? Do they have to be shared?

I thought I might open up a can of worms with that one. If I remember one specifically, I think it was Jamie Kennedy doing it that I found really off putting. I could absolutely be wrong on who it was though.

Anyhoo, there are obviously people who grow up in multi-ethnic neighborhoods that are going to speak a certain way that might now fit people's stereotypes. Hell, DD is mixed. DW is Korean, I'm white from California, and we live in Texas. I'm sure DD will grow up saying things that make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

The thing I don't like it when comedians will intentionally imitate stereotypical slang of another race to show their audience how stupid the slang sounds.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
White guys trying to use black slang. Enough with the kashizzles. It's never been funny watching one race try to imitate another.

My exception would be Richard Pryor trying to teach Gene Wilder to act black in Silver Streak. I was in tears (of laughter) over that scene. However, if it had been the premise of the whole movie instead of a two-minute joke, it wouldn't have worked.

My contributions would be:

• The "Bad Boys" of mid-90's SNL. Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Rob Schneider, I'm looking at you. Not a single movie, scene, or joke any of you have ever done has even elicited a smirk from me. I just don't get it. Toilet humor, screaming, and random baby talk just doesn't do it.

• Laugh tracks.

• Dennis Miller turning conservative GWB-supporter and declaring him "off-limits" from jokes

• The fact that someone actually financed, made, and mass-marketed Scary Movie 4

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the most part I agree with you, Cervus, but I'll carve out one exception, The Wedding Singer.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
-Situation Comedy - It seems the art of a decent script these days are out the window. And all we're left to laugh at is the situation / character.

One word: Scrubs

quote:
I'm curious what it is about Friends that you think is groundbreaking?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by May Read Mari:
When Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor broke taboos back in the 60's and 70's it was cutting edge humor, but now that everyone talks dirty it's as much a cliche as mother-in-law jokes.

You say that but, although I've not heard any Lenny Bruce, you watch Pryor's stand-up from back in the day and it's still utterly hilarious.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In France: AB Productions. The less said, the better.

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 88 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Carlos Mencia, though it's mostly because he reminds me of a random internet troll who smiles smugly and thinks he accomplished something with his life when he posts random racist post.

The fart jokes must stop at all costs.

It's not exactly comedy, but the "very special episodes" in almost all sitcoms I can't really stand. Especially in Blossom where every other episode was a "very special episode." Actually, I tend not to like "very special episodes" in general no matter what show it is, mostly because the message feels tacked on. Strangely the only sitcom I felt did them right was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, although I could be wrong on that.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
faceless007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one that's been described already several times, but no one's pinponted the exact cause:

Lorne Michaels deciding that putting SNL characters in feature films was a good idea.

Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Punny Note
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Carlos Mencia, though it's mostly because he reminds me of a random internet troll who smiles smugly and thinks he accomplished something with his life when he posts random racist post.

That is such an excellent description I may have to steal it for use in conversation [Smile]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure. Although you have permission to make it sound more coherent than I did. [lol]

I'm surprised no one mentioned Full House yet. I don't understand how I managed to watch that show when I was young. ETA: Speaking of "Very Special Episodes," Moesha was especially guilty of this. It's spinoff, The Parkers wasn't exactly the best show out there but at least you knew it was trying to be funny at times.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:

Since no one's fielded this one yet... Groundbreaking isn't really the word I'd use, but it did inspire dozens of other short-lived shows involving groups of friends.

Personally, I think the most interesting thing about Friends was the fact that the six main characters got pretty much equal screen time. The actors even had equal salaries throughout the series.

"Cheers" had a great ensemble, but it could still pretty much be called, "Sam and his Buddies". "Three's Company" was the story of three roommates, but it could easily have been called, "Jack and his Quirky Roommates". Friends wasn't like that.

I'm not saying it was the first series like this, since obviously I haven't seen every TV show out there. And there were certain points in the Friends series where you could have briefly called it, "The Ross and Rachel Show", but that was just because of audience buzz: even in those episodes, the other characters had equal weight.

I didn't start watching Friends until about halfway through the series. I figured, "anything that popular has to suck." Then I started catching reruns on other channels, and realized a valuable life lesson: sometimes things get popular because they really deserve it. Now I own the entire series on DVD, and it's my all-time favorite sitcom.

--------------------
Myspace NWN Board

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:
When Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor broke taboos back in the 60's and 70's it was cutting edge humor, but now that everyone talks dirty it's as much a cliche as mother-in-law jokes.

You say that but, although I've not heard any Lenny Bruce, you watch Pryor's stand-up from back in the day and it's still utterly hilarious.
I agree about Pryor's work. But I didn't think May Read Mari meant that Pryor's work ceased to be funny -- I interpreted that post to mean that his many modern-day imitators aren't funny, because they're not doing anything original: they're just swearing.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pretty much anyone/anything that creates too many imitators is a bad thing. When Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor broke taboos back in the 60's and 70's it was cutting edge humor, but now that everyone talks dirty it's as much a cliche as mother-in-law jokes.

It's a lot older than that. Redd Foxx was doing it long before, and he was even cutting albums of his comedy routines because you could only see them live - no media would cover it.

I think this got more coverage in the 80's once the VCR allowed people to share "bootleg" videos of things you couldn't get on TV or radio because of how "taboo" it was.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The best thing in American sit-com in the last 10 years: Scrubs.

The best things in British sit-com in the last 10 years: Couplings and The Office.

In Australia, we have had absolutely no good sit-coms for at least 20 years, but some excellent sketch comedy shows.

As for "taboo" stand-up, Roy Rene was doing vaudeville in Australia in the early part of the 1920's. He got into trouble for one gag in particular:

Doctor writes 'F' on the blackboard: What letter do you see?

Patient: K

Doctor: That's odd. When I write 'F' you see 'K'.

(Remember, this was in the 1920's)

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Richard Coyle leaving "Coupling"
WORD!

quote:
Nothing really Groundbreaking, never said that. But there are some aspects of it i find humorous, mainly Chandlers jokes. I agree any sitcom that produces mass re-makings annoy me.

Other Contributions -

Racial humor - we're over it

Dumbing down - we're not stupid

and any celebrity endorsed Sitcom, that includes Martin Lawrence's.

Oh, and since we've now taken to writing the best things in comedy too -

British - Peep show, and BBC three.

American - Futurama (brought back the joke!) and the slow drifing away from usual Sitcom styles. (my name is earl and scrubs)

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
Roy Rene was doing vaudeville in Australia in the early part of the 1920's. He got into trouble for one gag in particular:

Doctor writes 'F' on the blackboard: What letter do you see?

Patient: K

Doctor: That's odd. When I write 'F' you see 'K'.

(Remember, this was in the 1920's)

Sounds a bit like this chap

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles...

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:

I thought I might open up a can of worms with that one. If I remember one specifically, I think it was Jamie Kennedy doing it that I found really off putting. I could absolutely be wrong on who it was though.

Anyhoo, there are obviously people who grow up in multi-ethnic neighborhoods that are going to speak a certain way that might now fit people's stereotypes. Hell, DD is mixed. DW is Korean, I'm white from California, and we live in Texas. I'm sure DD will grow up saying things that make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

The thing I don't like it when comedians will intentionally imitate stereotypical slang of another race to show their audience how stupid the slang sounds.

But, that again is my point, there is no slang by race as far as I can tell. Not all black people talk in shizzles, as a matter of fact very few do. And I've seen plenty of white people who do, as part of the culture they live in. There is a particular poor inner city subculture you are refering to that is majority black, but it is not entirely black. Nor, by any strech, does that culture represent how all black people speak.

--------------------

Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roy Rene is a comic legend in Australia. The awards for live performance in Australia are named the "Mo Awards" after his signature character "Mo McCackie".

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages