snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » 'The Adventures of Brer Rabbit' DVD (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'The Adventures of Brer Rabbit' DVD
bonethugzhoney80
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for bonethugzhoney80   E-mail bonethugzhoney80   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wondered what everyone's opinion was on this DVD coming out. I will post the link to the article talking about it. I keep seeing these commercials after I watch a "Black" show, such as "The Parkers" or a "Different World".

Link

It says it is being distributed by Universial Studios Home entertainment. Is that Disney?

(

--------------------
"Me, fail english? That unpossible!"-
Ralph Wiggum, The Simpsons

"If Karma is a bommerang, I will see you sooner than later." --Will, Big Brother 5 (USA, 2004)

Posts: 45 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's actually unrelated to the Walt Disney Company. The stories of Br'er Rabbit are based on a book (Uncle Remus), so they are public property.
The Disney version you are thinking of is the film "Song of the South", which includes Br'er Fox, Br'er Bear, and Br'er Rabbit. That movie has never been released on video or DVD in the United States, due to derogatory terms (the "N" word) being used in the film.

*OT* I hate censorship like that with a passion. They were keeping it current with the storyline's time. Just because they used that word back then doesn't mean it should be censored...bastards.

ETA: correcting the title that Eif so kindly reminded me of.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bonethugzhoney80:
I just wondered what everyone's opinion was on this DVD coming out. I will post the link to the article talking about it. I keep seeing these commercials after I watch a "Black" show, such as "The Parkers" or a "Different World".

Link

It says it is being distributed by Universial Studios Home entertainment. Is that Disney?

(

To answer your last question, No, Universal is not Disney.

You may be confusing this with Disney's "Song of the South" which also told the Uncle Remus stories. As I remember, the stories are fine, like an Af-Am Aesop's fables. For Song of the South, it's the now unPC despiction of Blacks on the plantation pre-Civil War that keeps it from beening show.

And it's being advertized on "Black" shows since these stories come from the Af-Am community. But I would like to add, being I white guy, I enjoy them too, and my mother told me them when I was a boy.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is an artificial sweetner:
The stories of Br'er Rabbit are based on a book ([u]Uncle Tom's Cabin[/u], IIRC), so they are public property.

So Simon Legree was in Br'er Rabbit? EDITED

I think not. The book you are thinking of is Uncle Remus. EDITED

An interesting article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Remus
puts them in a new light for me

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
entertaining stories. people take them too seriously. oh and yeah despite the movie and the ride at disney world (which was one of my favorites) they have no iron-clad claim on it.

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That movie has never been released on video or DVD in the United States, due to derogatory terms (the "N" word) being used in the film.

I know the movie depicts the racial overtones of the time period it was set in, but I don't remember the word "nigger" being in there anywhere..I'll have to check my wife's videotape to be sure...
Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A little off-topic, but my Mother took me to see "Song of the South" when it first came out. I was about six years old. All I really remember from the movie was the apparent love between the little White boy and the old Black man, and how tickled I'd get when Br'er Rabbit would outfox Br'er Fox. And, of course the music. I love "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" to this day. Oh, and I remember feeling sad when the boy's mean old mother wasn't going to let him see Uncle Remus any more.

There was as much "good" in the movie as there was "bad," and I hate that my children and grandchildren never got to see it. I suppose you have to be of a certain attitude to find the bad parts, but I can see no harm in enjoying the movie for the good parts. I never considered all of the "objectionable" material in the movie until I read the snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/sots.htm
I did a search and found a wonderful essay in support of the movie. If I can locate it, I'll edit and include the link to it, as well.

I wrote a letter to the NAACP a couple of years ago but had no response.

ETA: SparkStalker, I don't remember the word "Nigger" being used in the movie, either, but it's been many years since I saw it.

ETA: "Song of the South" home page - A link to the snopes article is found in the "Links" section of the page.

An article by Armand A. Gagnon, written in 1999

From the above article:
"Such movies, whether banned or not, shall always endure in the minds and hearts of youngsters and adults alike who view them, for within such splendid screen gems as these are contained eternal truths that apply to all of humankind, from all times, of all geographic locations, and of all races, creeds, and colors. May the healing, loving powers of Uncle Remus live on forever, throughout Eternity and beyond."

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Just So Stories" was Rudyard Kipling, and apart from . It does, in fact, contain "the N word," in "How the Leopard Got His Spots." Although also a set of African-derived fables, it is not directly related to the Remus stories. To the best of my knowledge, Disney's "Song of the South" does not contain "the N word" -- as other posters (and Barbara) have said, it is the portrayal of black/white relationships in the ostensibly post-slavery South that make the film objectionable.

Interestingly, I've heard recent buzz about Disney rereleasing the film to DVD, with historical and contextual information in the extras that would serve to balance the somewhat racist tone of the live-action segments. Anyone else have any info on this? I'll see if I can dig up anything concrete.

ETA:Rats. According to Signora's link above (The SotS Home Page), the rumors are unfounded. It's a shame.

As for myself, I have only fond memories of the animated stories and little to no recollection of the live-action segments. The exception is the song "Zip-a-dee Doo-dah," which turned up in the films "Splash" and "Fletch Lives" (as a parody of the idyllic-for-white plantation life depicted in "Song of the South").

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my dad has a copy of "song of the south" (he got it from a guy who imported it here from I think the U.K., since you can't actually buy it in the U.S.) I watched it recently, since i grew up reading those stories. it doesn't have the "N-word" in it, but it does depict the storyteller in a "happy slave" sense (almost as bad as the "black face" comedians of long ago), so I can see how it's objectionable. I do agree though that it's a wonderful movie, and if you stress the good parts over the objectionable ones, it's even better.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auburn Red
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auburn Red   E-mail Auburn Red   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the animated portions of Song of the South, and I liked Uncle Remus. To be truthful the live action sequences I can do without.
And I liked the original stories, they remind me a lot of the Native American and African folktales (in fact Brer Rabbit was based in equal parts upon Anansi, the spider trickster and Hare, a Native American trickster)
Mostly the live action sequences were boring with a lot of hammy melodramatic acting (though again I liked Remus).
But I have a point to make, this might seem stupid. Disney has refused to air Song of the South because of pressure with the NAACP (not an outright ban,I understand, but the movie has been constantely challenged by them) sort of putting a holding pattern on it. So, it's okay for another studio to make another version with a primarily African American cast? What's the difference? Could this mean the possibility that they will release Song of the South, if anything just to compete with it or that NAACP have relaxed their position on the movie and these stories?

Posts: 62 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kai, I thought you had to have region-coded DVD players to play DVDs from other countries. I have, however, heard that players are now equipped to over-ride this function. You are lucky, indeed. I'd love to see "Song of the South" again.

Auburn, it's my impression that the new "Adventures of Brer Rabbit" isn't the "Song of the South" but a collection of the African folk-tales and will include the characters Brer Rabbit, et al but not be based on the SotS story and not include Uncle Remus and the children. I'm not really sure.

Folk-tales in many cultures are very similar. I like to look for those similarities when I'm reading a book about one or the other.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*OT* I hate censorship like that with a passion. They were keeping it current with the storyline's time. Just because they used that word back then doesn't mean it should be censored...bastards.

Censorship is a government act. Disney's refusal to release their film is a business decision; they own it, they get to decide to sell it or not. The government is not telling them they cannot do so.

AFA the offensiveness of Song of the South, in particular, the character of Uncle Remus, I would recommend viewing another movie, called Bamboozled (the IMdB review is lame; Amazon's is better).

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

Censorship is a government act. Disney's refusal to release their film is a business decision; they own it, they get to decide to sell it or not. The government is not telling them they cannot do so.

AFA the offensiveness of Song of the South, in particular, the character of Uncle Remus, I would recommend viewing another movie, called Bamboozled (the IMdB review is lame; Amazon's is better).

It isn't always a government act. A lot of book censorship is pressured by parents that feel that content may be too "adult" for the section it's restricted to. Other reasons may be language, drug usage, sexuality, witchcraft, and depictions of alternative religions (i.e. "Dragonwings" by Laurence Yep involving Taoism, which isn't a Christian belief and may induce the idea in children to commit suicide to reach a higher state of being, according to article "Where is Judy Blume? Controversial Fiction for Older Children and Young Adults" by Ann Curry- I tried to find a link to the article, but I couldn't...sorry). A great source for some "controversial" book material is PABBIS (sorry, I did a presentation about censorship with adolescent literature last semester).
Other forms of censorship are pressed by organizations. An example is the one cited in this thread about the NAACP. There are other movies that are restricted from being released or made (How about that "Da Vinci Code" lawsuit going on now- they've served an injunction to prevent the movie's release in the UK), or PEOPLE can prevent a movie or TV show from being released (The Tom Cruise thing with South Park).

Censorship isn't strictly controlled by the government- it's controlled by the companies and people that influence decisions made by independent companies.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

It isn't always a government act. A lot of book censorship is pressured by parents that feel that content may be too "adult" for the section it's restricted to. Other reasons may be language, drug usage, sexuality, witchcraft, and depictions of alternative religions (i.e. "Dragonwings" by Laurence Yep involving Taoism, which isn't a Christian belief and may induce the idea in children to commit suicide to reach a higher state of being, according to article "Where is Judy Blume? Controversial Fiction for Older Children and Young Adults" by Ann Curry- I tried to find a link to the article, but I couldn't...sorry).

If what you're talking about is moving books from, say, the young adult section to the regular fiction section of a library, then that isn't censorship necessarily. The books are still available.

But, back to Disney's decision to not release SotS, that *still* is not censorship. They can release it or not as they so choose.

quote:
A great source for some "controversial" book material is PABBIS (sorry, I did a presentation about censorship with adolescent literature last semester).

And?

quote:
Other forms of censorship are pressed by organizations. An example is the one cited in this thread about the NAACP. There are other movies that are restricted from being released or made (How about that "Da Vinci Code" lawsuit going on now- they've served an injunction to prevent the movie's release in the UK), or PEOPLE can prevent a movie or TV show from being released (The Tom Cruise thing with South Park).

You are mixing many different things here. But, most importantly, none of these are censorship.

quote:
Censorship isn't strictly controlled by the government- it's controlled by the companies and people that influence decisions made by independent companies.
I disagree.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one point, from a guy whose doctoral dissertation was on Joel Chandler Harris, the author of the "Uncle Remus" books:

The stories are not set in pre-Civil War days. They are set in the 1870s, following the end of the Civil War and the emancipation of the slaves. In fact, only two (IIRC) of the stories in the first book deal with the Civil War South at all, and they tell how the young lady of the plantation nursed a wounded Union soldier back to health...and married him. The boy's father is a Yankee.

Now, the costuming in the Walt Disney picture is all over the place chronologically, but the movie is set in the 1870s--the boy's father is writing for an Atlanta newspaper and is in favor of reconciliation, of the South's peacefully rejoining the Union as Reconstruction ends. The less reconstructed elements in town have threatened him and his family. That's why he sends the little boy and his mother to Grandma's farm. Admittedly, this exposition whizzes by. (My hunch is that the scenarist decided for some reason to base the boy's father on Henry W. Grady, one of Joel Chandler Harris's colleagues on the Atlanta Constitution, but I can't prove that).

So...Uncle Remus and the other African-Americans are not slaves, but tenant farmers (heck, Remus actually sets off to travel to Atlanta to see the boy's father, and he wouldn't have done that pre-Civil War). The rub is that they are given "happy servant" roles, and the treatment is demeaning. Yet James Baskett performs wonderfully as Remus, providing a warm and wise presence at the heart of the film, and the cartoons are at least as faithful to the literary originals as most Disney adaptations are.

For his time, Harris was a progressive Southerner. He really made a conscientious effort to preserve the folklore of African-Americans, as well as their dialect, without the benefit of sound recording, and he was a voice for enlightenment in racial matters.

For his time, remember, and for his place. I am not suggesting he was a revolutionary--he wasn't. But he did support equality and fair treatment for all, which is something not everyone in his day (or ours) might agree with.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a note, but recently it was announced that the Disney film "Song of the South" would NOT be coming to DVD as had been hinted at previously. My guess that with the number of existing problems the former Pixar brains are tackling at Disney they don't want to create another by rushing this film out seems to have been confirmed by Iger's statements. Not that it is a bad film (I think children watch it without the negative context adults see), but that no matter how well they handle the release, no matter how they frame things, somebody is going to complain about it.

Press conference transcript here

Until it is finally released, I guess the guy at the street fairs selling bootlegs for $20 has his market cornered.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Song of the South script.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Censorship is a government act.
Interestingly (or not) there's no consensus that "censorship" solely entails censoring by government. See, for example,

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/whodecides/definitions.html

Bonnie "INTERNYM CENSORED" Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad has a copy of "Song of the South", sadly even when I was a kid I never paid much attention to it. However, I don't think it used the "N" word. It was probably predjudice. I think the white girl that didn't wear shoes much (don't know why that bothers me, during the skipping bit where the black boy also didn't wear shoes) is what bothered me the most.

Ok, the end part, Uncle Remus and the posible death bed should've done it but the shoes thing realy bothered me. Also the fact that the white girl couldn't go to the party but was content to hear an Uncle Remus tale also bothered me. It seemed to mean that if a bully pushes you in the mud you should be thankful that a worker on your friend's estate tells you a story to make up for it (rather than helping you scrub up and go to the party, IMHO it just that she was hanging with a bunch of SOBs or that a near slave can't even wash a dress).

I actually hated the film, which means my kid loves it, but to aim in on any racisim (IMHO) is idiotic. I'm not supporting racisim but I'm also not screaming from the roof tops to edit "Huck Finn"... if you wan't to look for rascism, look there (don't look at a "tar baby" that no one in this generation that isn't schooled in PC would find offensive).

Who the hell cared, if the movie is to be believed, that the stupid white kid (tried to cross a field of bulls, even if it is to chase a black friend... especially when the black man brought the kid out of his from his trama? It may have not been PC but in the end there was (at least somewhat) acceptance after that.

Not a great thing in today's age perhaps, but when it was filmed I don't think it was the worst piece of film either.... "Birth of a Nation" anyone?

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Who is asking for it to be edited, Chimera?

I don't think the film is racist; I believe it presents an idealized, unrealistic version of the conditions blacks were living in in the post-Civil War era, particularly post-Reconstruction. Not that anybody has ever accused Disney of historical accuracy.

--------------------

monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh. I love Uncle Remus. I've never seen Song of the South, but my mama read me the Uncle Remus stories all the time when I was a kid. I absolutely loved them. My mom used to make puppets, and she made an Uncle Remus puppet with dark skin, gray hair, glasses, and overalls. My siblings and I would take turns using the puppet and reading stories from the Uncle Remus book to each other. I never got a hint of racism from those stories - if it was there, I was too young/naive to see it.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
Censorship is a government act.
Interestingly (or not) there's no consensus that "censorship" solely entails censoring by government. See, for example,

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/whodecides/definitions.html

Bonnie "INTERNYM CENSORED" Taylor

From the link, one of the definitions reads:
quote:
Censorship is a word of many meanings. In its broadest sense it refers to suppression of information, ideas, or artistic expression by anyone, whether government officials, church authorities, private pressure groups, or speakers, writers, and artists themselves. It may take place at any point in time, whether before an utterance occurs, prior to its widespread circulation, or by punishment of communicators after dissemination of their messages, so as to deter others from like expression. In its narrower, more legalistic sense, censorship means only the prevention by official government action of the circulation of messages already produced. Thus writers who "censor" themselves before putting words on paper, for fear of failing to sell their work, are not engaging in censorship in this narrower sense, nor are those who boycott sponsors of disliked television shows.
--Academic American Encyclopedia

I share the "narrower, more legalistic" definition. If a school library bows to preasure from the community and removes a book, it can be seen as censorship because a governmental body (the school) is removing it. If NBC bows to preasure from religious viewers and cancels "Book of Daniel", that is not censorship. (yeah, I know. It wasn't cancelled because of preasure but because the ratings sucked. That was just the first thing that came to mind.)

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago-Threadslayer,Inc.:
Kai, I thought you had to have region-coded DVD players to play DVDs from other countries. I have, however, heard that players are now equipped to over-ride this function. You are lucky, indeed. I'd love to see "Song of the South" again.

Well, the easiest way to find it is on Ebay. My wife bought a PAL copy of the movie (apparently it was released on VHS in the UK), and then had it converted to NTSC...not cheap (and I'm not sure on the legality), but it made her happy...

Looking over Ebay now, there's also some NTSC DVD copies...I'm not quite sure how it's been done, but they're there....

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also recall some of the cheaper DVD players a couple of years ago(the kind that used to sell for $30 at Wal-Mart) were apparently region-free. It wasn't a documented feature and I don't think they were sold here for very long, but I remember websites advising people on buying players with the undocumented capabilities.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:

I share the "narrower, more legalistic" definition.

So, I assume you'd disagree that organizations, groups, and individuals sometimes engage in self-censorship.

-- Bonnie

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if I call it "censorship" exactly; however, I have a strong, if not necessarily rational, belief that once a work has been published, it should always be available to the public in some form. (I've never reconciled to the idea that works simply go "out of print," even if it's only for the simple reason that no one wants to buy them any more.) From a purely historic view, Song of the South has some importance, and I'd like to see if officially released.

(I also found it particularly odd that when Disney built its "Splash Mountain" ride in 1989, they were more than willing to base it around characters and songs from a film they won't actually allow the American public to see...)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hobbes
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bonethugzhoney80:

Link

Like someone else said, Universal is not Disney, but if you a a search, you'll find that The Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group is a collection of Disney's main movie studios, made up of such production comapnies as:

-Walt Disney Pictures
-Touchstone Pictures
-Caravan Pictures
-Hollywood Pictures
-Dimension Films
-Miramax Films
-Pixar Animation Studios

I'm sure there nave been many more contraversial ones, but there are a few that come to my mind off the top of my head. (I mentioned Bad Santa in an earler post) As I recall, there were a couple more in the mid '90's 'Priest' (about a homosexual Catholic Priest; 'Kids' a movie that was about adolescense and growing up in the times we live in (incidently a large pervcentage of the story line revolves around the kids sex lives; and let's not forget 'Dogma' although it was without a doubt a very funny movie, Kevin Smith's portrayal of the Catholic Church was...let's just say less than flattering.

(I won't even get into some of the contraversial music that "Disney" has released under its' 'Hollywood' label...Google it if your interested)

I for one am totally against censorship and feel like the viewing audience will vote with their wallets in the end, and we don't need the movie/ entertainment police to decide what we should or should not see.

On another note, I found it interesting that in the new "Adventures of Brer Rabbit" that uncle Remus appears to not even be in the film at all. The other story posted said, "Nick Cannon stars as Brer Rabbit with support from Danny Glover as Brer Turtle, Wayne Brady as Brer Wolf, D.L. Hughley as Brer Fox and Wanda Sykes as Sister Moon in the video."

Maybe they should have talked to Isaac Hayes for the part of Uncle Remus...He could probably use a paycheck about now...

--------------------
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

Posts: 96 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I share the "narrower, more legalistic" definition.

So, I assume you'd disagree that organizations, groups, and individuals sometimes engage in self-censorship.

-- Bonnie

You have authority over yourself, so, yes, you can censor yourself. I follow the definition of censorship as someone in authority forcing changes / removal. I have authority over myself. NBC has authority over itself. The AFA does not have authority over NBC; they may have influance, but not authority. They may claim to have "removed" Book Of Daniel; NBC dropped it on their own. That wasn't even self-censorship; they dropped it due to bad ratings, not due to bad ideas.

I sometimes have bad thoughts. Everyone does. I'm at a friend's house and the kids are around, I don't tell the story from college where one of the dean's daughters got blitzed, passed out, and woke up in the morning in the lobby of a guys dorm, nekkid with drawings all over her body. That's self censorship. I'm at a friend's house and the kids are around and I start to tell that story and my wife stomps on my foot. That's censorship. I'm at a friend's house and the kids are around and I start to tell that story and my friend says "that's inappropriate, and we've heard it a million times before". That's not censorship.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
I also recall some of the cheaper DVD players a couple of years ago(the kind that used to sell for $30 at Wal-Mart) were apparently region-free. It wasn't a documented feature and I don't think they were sold here for very long, but I remember websites advising people on buying players with the undocumented capabilities.

I have a region-free DVD player I bought by mail-order from Hong Kong when I lived in Taiwan. (They're illegal in Taiwan, and I'm guessing they might be in America too, but I had no problem getting it into either country.) I don't have the company info handy, but if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll see about digging up the website I found it on. It was only about $60 US and it plays anything.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would a region free anything be illegal?

There's racism in Gone with the Wind, but it's a great story of triumph and tragedy, etc. Well they've got the happy ex-slave thing going on.

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Silliness alert on]
While we're trying to shield our children from "offensive", possibly "racist" materials in G rated films, I would offer up Finnian's Rainbow for review. The Irish are presented as stupid, greedy and drunk, Witches are spoken of in a negative fashion, the Colonel is presented as the Classic Racist Southern Stereotype™, the Leprechaun is depicted as being only truly happy when being mortal, Silent Susan is protrayed as someone who was never properly taught how to use sign language (because all people with a disability are pure but stupid, I suppose?) and whilst there is one black man portrayed as an intelligent scientist, there's also a carload of black men who think a white guy in black makeup is actually black, and even worse, has good singing voice! (I'm presuming the whole carful is also deaf as a post, which I'm sure is another racist comment somehow.)

Please sign this email petition to stop this film NOW!!! How longer must we endure "That Old Devil Moon" on our children? This is racist and satanic!!!! SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!!
[/Silliness alert off]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hobbes
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave. Dry. Crisp. Witty.:
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:

I have a region-free DVD player I bought by mail-order from Hong Kong when I lived in Taiwan. (They're illegal in Taiwan, and I'm guessing they might be in America too, but I had no problem getting it into either country.) I don't have the company info handy, but if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll see about digging up the website I found it on. It was only about $60 US and it plays anything.
I think all DVD players are capable of playing any DVD...similair to the DVD in most computers and laptops.

Most DVD players have a code that you can enter to get to a manufacturer's setup menu where you do such things as choose the region (or shut them off) or choose the format...PAL (used in most of Europe and Australia) or NTSC (the most common format in the US, Canada, and Japan) For most the code remains a closely guarded scret, but some models' codes have made it onto the Internet.

--------------------
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

Posts: 96 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm at a friend's house and the kids are around and I start to tell that story and my wife stomps on my foot. That's censorship.

While you and I may have somewhat different takes on what constitutes censorship (particularly as it applies to various flavors of self-censoring), I'm sure you've noted that according to AnglRdr's understanding of the term your example isn't censorship.

-- Bonnie

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
quote:
I'm at a friend's house and the kids are around and I start to tell that story and my wife stomps on my foot. That's censorship.

While you and I may have somewhat different takes on what constitutes censorship (particularly as it applies to various flavors of self-censoring), I'm sure you've noted that according to AnglRdr's understanding of the term your example isn't censorship.

-- Bonnie

Of course not. That's assault. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You have authority over yourself, so, yes, you can censor yourself. I follow the definition of censorship as someone in authority forcing changes / removal. I have authority over myself. NBC has authority over itself.

You know, I don't have a problem with the earlier assessment of Disney's decision to not release "Song of the South" as censorship, although I happen to think it's more precisely described as a case of self-censorship. Disney's made the decision for itself that the material contains images that may be offensive to a significant portion of its market and consequently won't release the work (because doing so would harm Disney's image and be bad for business).

In the end, I may have an unusually broad acceptance of the use(s) of the word "censorship" (and it should now be obvious that I include "self-censorship" as a flavor of "censorship"), but I find the assessment of censorship as an act solely perpetrated by government unusually narrow. (To me, a more precise and meaningful description of that form of censorship would be "government censorship.")

-- Bonnie

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages