snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » American Idol Pool (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: American Idol Pool
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoiler bump for AT. You need to put in more spoiler space than that, or your post will appear in all its spoilery goodness in AT.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
....wow. ........that was.....unexpected.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 05 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
Spoiler bump for AT. You need to put in more spoiler space than that, or your post will appear in all its spoilery goodness in AT.

Are you refering to my post? If so, what's "AT"?

ETA: I went ahead and (more than) tripled my spoiler space, if I didn't have enough before.

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AT = Active Topics, the first 200 characters or so of a post will show up there for everyone to see, so you want your spoiler space to fill it up.

Of course, it usually just causes me to peek. [Big Grin]

ETA: I forgot to say what I came to say in the first place - Chris? Holy crap! Just wow...

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The good news: My favorite now has a sporting chance of winning.
The bad news: The quality of the performances on the show is going to take a nosedive.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
AT = Active Topics, the first 200 characters or so of a post will show up there for everyone to see, so you want your spoiler space to fill it up.

Ah, ofcourse. Guess I was too tired to process it last night. Thanks.

--------------------

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I don't think anyone was expecting that. The look on Chris' face was priceless. I think it knocked him down a few pegs. Anyway, here are the results. Let me know if you think your points are wrong. Kathryn will be back in the game next week to take us to the end.

Kathryn : 55
NeeCD : 52
AdmiralDinty : 50
Open Mike Night : 50
Sharon : 49
Kev : 48
KingDavid8 : 45
DakotaPride : 42
Sue Bee : 41
Mr. Furious : 40
KingFan : 38
Bach_girl : 35
Laura 2 : 35
Horse Chestnut : 31
Ms. Chicopea : 31
Jay Temple : 17
JoFo : 15
Ali_marea : 14
Nocturnal Emissions Test : 14
Lady Moon : 10
Pinqy : 7
Mickey : 6
I'm Anya : 5
Spankmantha : 3
Niccichick : 2
Watch your Kidneys : 1
eif : 0

/*Standard disclaimer: if you think your points are wrong, let me know*/

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night sucked. Chris was shocked. I was shocked.

Elliot should have gone.

Katharine or Taylor better frigging win. grrrr

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my Tuesday nights just got freed-up. Now that Chris is gone, I just don't care enough to watch the show. I'll lurk around here & find out who wins that way. Whatta crock... [Frown]

Definitely have to keep an eye peeled for his album, though...

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed, kingfan1978. The one good thing about this is that Chris can make a good album right away, instead of making a bland one first (see: Kelly Clarkson's first and second albums).

When I saw how they divided them, I told my wife, "Either Chris is in the bottom two or Elliot is in the top two. Either way, this is quite an upset."

--------------------

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, America screwed up last night and the looks on EVERYONE's faces were pretty funny- even Katharine was shocked.

Oh well... at least like Jay Temple said; he can make a good album right off [lol]

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn:
Oh well... at least like Jay Temple said; he can make a good album right off [lol]

True, but he's still stuck doing that goofy Idol's tour.

ETA: And count me as someone tempted to stop watching, since I no longer care who wins.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingfan1978:
Definitely have to keep an eye peeled for [Chris'] album, though...

According to the news this morning (I think I heard something yesterday on the radio, also), the band Fuel has offered Chris the position of lead singer. That would be Frickin' Awesome.

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although shocking, I'll agree that, looking back in a few years, Chris will be happy about this outcome.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the best thing that could have happened to him. What is a rock and roller like Chris doing on such a mainstream, bourgeois show like AI to begin with? Rock and roll is supposed to be antiestablishment, so I think the conspiracy theories that essentially portray Chris as being put down by "the man" will only help him. He got what he needed: exposure. The record companies are taking notice, don't worry. They say the best revenge is living well, so if anyone wants to help Chris out, buy his CDs and help him become the arrogant, hotel-room-bashing, burnt out rock star that we all aspire to become.

Aside to Gov. Easley: back off. It's just a TV show. I think the FBI has better things to do like arrest terrorists or something. Besides, the citizens of your state need to learn to deal with disappointment like big boys and girls and not always expect the nanny state you run to kiss all their widdle boo-boos.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DakotaPride
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotaPride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the line up will be :
1)Taylor
2)Katherine
3)Elliot

Elliot going home.
All three did a great job, but I think Taylor outshined all, and Elliot was the weakest.

Posts: 212 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It really could go either way, couldn't it? Elliot and Katherine seem pretty evenly matched, fan base wise. Taylor is seemingly in a better position than them, but most of us thought the same thing about Chris last week. Anyways, I'll say:

Bottom Two: Katherine and Elliot

Going home: Elliot

I like all three of these guys and I'm gonna be sad no matter who is voted off.

--------------------

Jay Temple

Prediction: same as JoFo
What they deserve: Elliot goes home, Katherine is tops.

--------------------

Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom 2-

Elliot and Katherine

Elliot going home- dammit.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with everyone else so far. Elliott and Katherine, with Elliott going home. Katherine's second performance saved her. Definitely the best performance of the night, though #2, 3 and 4 were all Taylor's.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

A music teacher told me once that you can damage your singing voice by trying to sing outside your range too often, and she confirmed that Joe Cocker's voice sounds like someone who might have made that mistake. All of which is to say, when Taylor covered "You Are So Beautiful," I thought, That's what Joe Cocker would sound like if he HADN'T made that mistake. Taylor was that good.

ETA: The top two automatically get a one-album deal. If it's Taylor and Katharine as predicted, Taylor will get more airplay, but Katharine's album is the one I'll shell out $15 for.

--------------------

Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elliott and Katharine. Elliott going home.

And as a confirmed Soul Patroller, I will buy anything Taylor does. Within reason, of course.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Well, since Chris is gone, I'm just guessing, but it looks like my guess is going along with everyone else, anyway, so...

Bottom = Katherine and Elliot
Going = Elliot

--------------------

Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, Elliot's performances were clearly below those of Taylor or Katharine. I'm going to say Elliot and Katharine, with Elliot going home.

The only thing that has me thinking about that was Taylor's bizarre spaz-out at the end of his last song, which they chose to show in his highlights.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I thought Taylor was awesome and Katharine right behind... so I guess I am agreeing with everyone else!

So far the pool is going to be all or nothing this week [Wink]

Bottom 2: Katharine, Elliott
Going Home: Elliott

/*Standard disclaimer: Picks must be in 15 minutes before showtime; pm me if you change your post

Reminder for next week's finale: There will be 5 points awarded for correctly picking the winner out of the 2 remaining contestants.

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I really wasn't that impressed with Taylor last night, but I think he will go on.

I'm going to buck the trend a little, and I'm not sure if I have a decent reason for it.

Bottom three: Taylor, Katherine, Elliot. What? oh, well in that case:

Bottom two: Katherine and Elliot

Going home: Katherine

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bootom two: Katharine, Elliot
Going home: Elliot

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew ew ew! Was everyone else watching the same show I was? I thought Katharine was gawdawful, and to boot, a petulant little you know what when the judges critiqued her. I did not think that even Rainbow, which was her best performance, was very good. The other two songs were awful. She gets screechy in the higher range, and she is so "Broadway" in her delivery. I think that Elliot was saddled with bad songs for the two that he didn't choose, and he choose a lesser known Brother Ray song, but he does have a much better voice than Katharine. He just is not "pop" enough.

Note- I had a much harder time getting through for Elliot than I did for Taylor, so I don't know if that means anything, but I was surprised (OK, I voted, I'm a geek).

Final two- Taylor & Elliot.

ETA Bottom two - Elliot & Katharine, Katharine going home (wishful thinking. They all but assured Ellihobbit going home by saddling him with those crappy songs)

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from anything else, Elliot is coming up at the right time. Could you imagine a Jewish white kid with Middle-east heritage making it with R&B and soul 10 years ago?

I hate to say it, but the proliferation of soulful(well, manufactured soulful anyway) boy-bands has set him up with an audience. I suspect that he would have been dismissed as a novelty act not so long ago.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo

quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
[QB] Ew ew ew! Was everyone else watching the same show I was? I thought Katharine was gawdawful, and to boot, a petulant little you know what when the judges critiqued her. I did not think that even Rainbow, which was her best performance, was very good. The other two songs were awful. She gets screechy in the higher range, and she is so "Broadway" in her delivery.[QB]

Are you my mother? My sister? Just checking. Those two hate Katherine just as much as you do, if not more. Her first song definitely wasn't that good, but I blame Clive David for thinking that it suited Katherine more than anything else. Her last two songs were fine though. And how exactly was she being a "petulant little you know what"? I didn't catch that.

--------------------

AdmiralDinty

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom two: Elliot and Katherine.
Going home: Elliot.

I was actually bored by pretty much the whole thing, but I was almost (again, almost) moved to tears by Katherine's "Somewhere over the Rainbow." The strange thing is, I don't even like that song.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoFo:
Are you my mother? My sister? Just checking. Those two hate Katherine just as much as you do, if not more. Her first song definitely wasn't that good, but I blame Clive David for thinking that it suited Katherine more than anything else. Her last two songs were fine though. And how exactly was she being a "petulant little you know what"? I didn't catch that.

First song, I Believe I Can Fly, should have been in her wheel house. Clive Davis is a genius, and he was trying to tell her that he chose the song so that she could perform without being compared to Aretha or Patti or Whintey or Christina. Randy says "Poor song choice" which was not her choice, and she screeched at him "But I didn't pick it." (actually, I think Randy was searching more for "Bad arrangement", because I think that Katharine should have been able to pull this song off- if she didn't over sing it like she always does) Then Paula says, Yadda yadda beautiful, yadda yadda can sing, I yadda you... B u u u t... at this point Katharine cocks her hear, makes a "tsk" and says "You guys are being really hard on me! (pout, snivel)"... Second song, she sings Rainbow, lounging on the floor, with a smile on her face. Wrong. The song is sad, about yearning. She trills and runs, and screeches. Gets a (undeserved IMNSHO) tongue bath and bounces up and down with glee. Third song, she does a semi burlesque version of an Ella song, and again, oversings. And again, cocks her head, gasps in horror, and pouts when she does not get another tongue bath.

Elliot, on the other hand, accepted the judges critiques with grace.

I do realize that it will probably be Elliot who goes, and I also realize that Katharine is way more marketable as a "pop" idol than either Taylor or Elliot, but she bugs me.

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharon, way down South
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon, way down South   E-mail Sharon, way down South   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee this is hard, I am with Sue Bee on Katherine, don't forget her eye-rolling. I'm going to say that the bottom two will be Katherine and Elliot but I think (flips coin) Katherine will go home.

--------------------
Its seafood night, if you see it, you should eat it, cause I'm not cooking it.

Posts: 128 | From: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laura 2
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura 2   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I'm a sheep following the herd this week.

Bottom 2: Katherine and Elliott
Going home: Elliott

--------------------
My Belly Dance Business - Galatea Middle Eastern Dance - www.galateadancer.com

Q: What's the difference between an onion and a mizmar?
A: No one cries when they cut up a mizmar.

Posts: 786 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
First song, I Believe I Can Fly, should have been in her wheel house. Clive Davis is a genius, and he was trying to tell her that he chose the song so that she could perform without being compared to Aretha or Patti or Whintey or Christina. Randy says "Poor song choice" which was not her choice, and she screeched at him "But I didn't pick it." (actually, I think Randy was searching more for "Bad arrangement", because I think that Katharine should have been able to pull this song off- if she didn't over sing it like she always does) Then Paula says, Yadda yadda beautiful, yadda yadda can sing, I yadda you... B u u u t... at this point Katharine cocks her hear, makes a "tsk" and says "You guys are being really hard on me! (pout, snivel)"... Second song, she sings Rainbow, lounging on the floor, with a smile on her face. Wrong. The song is sad, about yearning. She trills and runs, and screeches. Gets a (undeserved IMNSHO) tongue bath and bounces up and down with glee. Third song, she does a semi burlesque version of an Ella song, and again, oversings. And again, cocks her head, gasps in horror, and pouts when she does not get another tongue bath.

Yeah, and don't forget at the end of the show when Ryan said to her, "You've caused an epidemic!" And then she said arrogantly, "I have!" She is a good singer but she has just such a pissy attitude. Too bad though, because her version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" pretty much assured her winning the competition.

I'm not in the pool, but I know now how the next couple of weeks are going to go. Elliot is going home tonight, (too bad, I like him, but last night Taylor and Katherine clearly outshined him), and on the Taylor/Katherine finale, Katherine is going to win. It's really too bad, we need another guy winner! (At least IMHO).

Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages