snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Amusement Bark » American Idol Season 5 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: American Idol Season 5
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I didn't see this topic started yet, so I thought I'd go ahead and start it up.

Who's watching this season? Anyone have any favorites yet? Every year I am truly amazed that some people actually walk in there thinking they sound great. Really. Great. How does that happen? Of course I think, as usual, some are staged for entertainment purposes, but others seem pretty legit.

And I gotta say, wow Simon! You ol' softy you! He actually does have a heart. I was very surprised he let that little cowboy kid in. I really think he was just trying to do something nice for him. I thought the kid was adorable. I don't think he'll make it very far, but it's nice that he'll have this chance to "see the world" a bit and have some fun.

I'm thinking I'm going to like that bald rocker. I didn't catch his name. Garrett? I really liked his voice in the audition.

So, let the fun begin!

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, forget about the older pair of twins from Tuesday night...they won't be available due to incarceration

I wasn't surprised that Simon let the cowboy in. The kid was not bad for never having had any training or performance experience. And he had no opportunities to get training so Simon decided to be a little more lenient and let him get the voice lessons all Idol contestants get.

I'm just trying to figure out what Paula's reasons were for letting crazy Dave through...same with Randy...why the Hell did they say yes?

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GaiaP5
Cereal Killer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaiaP5     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
pinqy, that's an easy one! Paula said it herself -- she had her "own reasons."

To piss Simon off! [lol]

--------------------
When other little girls were dreaming of being ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.

Posts: 185 | From: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dondi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dondi   E-mail Dondi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the rocker dude with the straw cowboy hat. He reminded me of Bo and Constantine.I thought he hit the notes well and had a gravelly style in his voice. I thought he had style when he walked out to his family with apparently no yellow paper, but then pulled it out of his hat and "Woo-hooed".

--------------------
"It won't mean a thing in a hundred years." - John Popper

Posts: 695 | From: Southern Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a little early to say much, it'll be interesting to see who else they let through in the weeks ahead. I'm just sad because there seems to be no long haired hotties like the plethora of last season, (Constantine, that guy that looked like Andrew WK, I think Aaron Kelly was his name, and of course, my Bo.) [lol]
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be that they just haven't showed the long hair rockers yet. They usually show just a few "good ones" and then the rest seem to be the idol rejects until the show goes to Hollywood.

Quick question: I know that the auditions are filmed way in advance, but what about the Hollywood portion? Is that also filmed in advance or are they following them week-to-week? I know it wouldn't be live, I just mean airing the same segments they film that week. Hope that question made sense.

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record, the bald rocker's name is Chris. The cowboy is Garrett. We certainly don't need to mix up those two!

There isn't anybody who has wowed me yet, but I didn't really notice Bo until Hollywood and I don't even remember them showing Kelly until then. The only singers I eventually rooted for that were featured this early were Clay and Ruben. They didn't seem to hide the talent that season.

Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if there's no Constantine this year, Good! I had such hopes for Constantine last year, but he turned out to be a False Rocker. We saw his band at the beginning, and they rocked. He looked the part, all sly smile and long hair. He had a good voice. Then, damn near every song he picked was soft and gooey. Liar! Poseur! He led us all to believe he was gonna rock, then turned into Paul Anka! We can do without that this year.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
edited because my comment didn't really make much sense after all

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I teared up when the little cowboy dude got through. And if you tell anyone, I'll deny it, and then kill you.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazed:
... that guy that looked like Andrew WK, ...

Andrew WK. World's Quickest Has-Been. [Big Grin] He didn't even get his full fifteen minutes of fame.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O.K., did anybody else choke up when little orphan girl made it through tonight? Also who is the grandmother of that other young girl who sang so well? The one that Randy said was a famous singer?
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I teared up when the little cowboy dude got through.

My spice did a bit too. Then we had to figure out where Veteran Wyoming was. (It's near Torrington actually. I thought it was much further north myself.)

I've found myself being interested in it just because the rest of the family watches it.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On tonights episode I really loved the woman who's been in 42 different homes, and the guy who danced with Paula. That guy was smooth! I don't know if I would have let him act that way if I were his wife, though!

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really liked Paris Bennett. She had a beautiful voice.

Best moment of the night for me was when Ryan said in a voiceover "What has gotten into Paula?" and Llamahubby said "Probably another contestant!"

Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems they are showing a lot of younger girls with GREAT talent. I also liked the orphan girl, she is a real success story. I usually only watch the auditions and like the last or couple of last shows [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which orphan did you like Squishy? The one who was in 45 foster homes or the one who's mom left her and dad was in jail for drugs?

I am sure we will also see abandoned at the church orphan, was ignored by the system orphan, and raised by wolves orphan.

Fran - I only watch the first two week -ny

edited because "wolved" is not a word

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't rarely watch AI but when I do it's to see the reaction of rejected people who go in so full of themselves and go out all saying "Simon doesn't know *censored* about music!".To wich I always think "We don't need much experience to know that you suck!" XD

Yeah I know,I"m mean

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never watched it at all, but Mrs. from Georgia records the show so she can fast-forward through the bad bits. Usually she watches an entire episode in eleven minutes flat that way.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Communication Attempt:
rejected people who go in so full of themselves and go out all saying "Simon doesn't know *censored* about music!".

Is it just my imagination, or are this year's rejects having to be censored more often? (Maybe they were like this all along, and the producers thought people would like seeing it.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to put into print that I think -- barring any horrible personality traits -- that Paris Bennett will be in the final top 3. No, actually, let me show some nerve here...SHE WILL WIN.

If I'm right, I get to refer to this post and wrench my shoulder patting myself on the back.

If I'm wrong, no one must ever speak of this prediction again [lol]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How many more cities are they going to?

Sometimes I think people really try to oversell themselves and end up shooting their own foot. That one ex-air force guy with the braces comes to mind. Granted, he made it through to Hollywood, but I think it was just barely. Had he just did a simple number without any craziness it would have been an easier sell.

--------------------

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you guys think of the claims that Simon is meaner this season or GLAAD's assertion that AI is homophobic?

I feel like Simon's criticism can get a little gratuitous at times (going after someone because they're ugly instead of talking about their vocal capacity), but I think he pretty much goes after everybody. I have noticed that he makes a lot of comments about effeminate men, but I don't know if it's because they bug him or because he thinks America won't vote for them.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

I think Simon is no more mean than years prior. I just think that is his schtick. It's what he does. He's the mean one. It's to be expected.

I don't think anyone is homophobic. I think that whole thing was ridiculous. The guy wasn't right for the show (speaking of Zachary). And, really, did he not get why they questioned his gender? Really?

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
What do you guys think of the claims that Simon is meaner this season or GLAAD's assertion that AI is homophobic?

We're discussing it over in this thread.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Temple:
Is it just my imagination, or are this year's rejects having to be censored more often? (Maybe they were like this all along, and the producers thought people would like seeing it.)

JT, I noticed it, too. At one point, there was an African American woman wearing a blonde wig, a tube top and shorter skirt who kept saying *bleep* Paula *bleepity bleep*. I asked my husband if he was watching AI or Jerry Springer...

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
American idol has a web site www.idolonfox.com. You can find video clips of the auditions. This is stuff NOT shown on TV. There are two cute guys doing the interviewing. One of them looks like he is 16. The other guy is good looking and hilarious.

I hit their website randomly while I was waiting for my DH and spent 15 minutes laughing my ass off at the B reel these guys made. It is all hand shot with what looks like a digital camera and it is really worth watching.

I would much rather watch those two than Randy, Paula or what's his name.

http://www.idolonfox.com/videos/ Select Season 5 auditions [Smile]

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too was happy for the roller skate orphan and the little cowboy. I'm guessing that neither will make it to the final 10 (or whatever it is). If they somehow did I think they'd get less endearing over time. The finished products from American Idol are always overly polished and shallow, completely artificial pap.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Menolly:
At one point, there was an African American woman wearing a blonde wig, a tube top and shorter skirt who kept saying *bleep* Paula *bleepity bleep*. I asked my husband if he was watching AI or Jerry Springer...

Ugh. I saw her. She was wearing that teeny skirt and she kept kicking her leg up and they had to bleep out her hoo-hah. Classy gal, I tell ya. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez, glad I was only listening, not watching!

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always laugh at the people who say "That's ok, I didn't make it. I don't need American Idol to win!" [Roll Eyes] Yeah, right. Nobody who makes it through says that. Ever.

That one young lady who did the Billie Holliday was fantastic. She is just amazing and I really hope she does well. [Smile] The blonde cowgirl...I dunno. She was good but boring. Not great. She reminds me of Carrie Underwood and that's never a good thing.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
I too was happy for the roller skate orphan and the little cowboy. I'm guessing that neither will make it to the final 10 (or whatever it is). If they somehow did I think they'd get less endearing over time. The finished products from American Idol are always overly polished and shallow, completely artificial pap.

I don't know about everyone else, but I was talking about the black lady with the 3 kids...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
I too was happy for the roller skate orphan

The "roller skate girl" isn't an orphan. Her mother abandoned her and her daddy's in jail.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
O.K., did anybody else choke up when little orphan girl made it through tonight? Also who is the grandmother of that other young girl who sang so well? The one that Randy said was a famous singer?

Orphan girl who lives with her grandpa, but her dad is incarcerated? Teared up for her; teared up for the relative of the good singer; and teared up for the girl who was in all the foster homes, married the creep, but worked hard to take care of her kids.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
I would like to put into print that I think -- barring any horrible personality traits -- that Paris Bennett will be in the final top 3. No, actually, let me show some nerve here...SHE WILL WIN.

If I'm right, I get to refer to this post and wrench my shoulder patting myself on the back.

If I'm wrong, no one must ever speak of this prediction again [lol]

Oh, see, by the time there is a winner, everyone will have forgotten this post, then you go back, and edit the post, so that it looks like you really did guess the winner. Then link to it with a nice I told you so post.

Works like a charm, unless someone quotes the entirety of your post somewhere else.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages