snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Come visit our new home! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Come visit our new home!
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are over 100 coming in per day and every registration is being cross-checked with the old board so post counts and registration dates can be carried over. It takes several hours to get through all that. Everyone will be gotten to, I promise [Smile]

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh okay. Thanks for the info, Jenn.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the new board having problems for anyone but me? All of a sudden it won't load.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's working fine for me, Gibbie.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems OK to me, I just opened a bunch of posts. I was already on the main page, though.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, wonder what I did bad. It's spinning and spinning and spinning and loading very very slowly. It's been loading the main page for about 5 minutes now and is only on the Sports forum.

Gibbie

--------------------

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

I went away for a couple of hours and now everything is hunky dory. Wonder if there was some Internet wackiness on my end. Other websites were doing ok, some were being slow too. *shrug*

Gibbie

--------------------

WittySquirrel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo! I just registered here myself a while ago, but under a different name. [Smile]

Looks like vBulletin's the choice of most forum software now. This is the second forum that I've been to that has entirely switched to vBulletin, and I say it's a wise choice too.

I'm just curious, isn't there supposed to be a forum converter from UBB to vBulletin? I say this because manually checking and editing over 1,000+ profiles seems kinda daunting.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WittySquirrel:
I'm just curious, isn't there supposed to be a forum converter from UBB to vBulletin? I say this because manually checking and editing over 1,000+ profiles seems kinda daunting.

Every so often, accounts which have been inactive for a period of time are purged. People who registered months ago just to post once and then never log in again, for example. Anyone who doesn't log in for 12 months. Anyone who registers and doesn't log in even once in the first three months. There's not much point in converting thousands of defunct accounts. This way, we're only putting time, effort, and resources into people who are active and still want to be here.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, there is, but the new message board is on a completely different server, so in order to use the import function we'd have had to:

a) Spend a couple of days setting up a brand-new UBB installation on the new server and copying thousands of files from the old board over to it (during which time the old board would have had to be shut down completely).

b) Spend another couple of days importing all the UBB data into vBulletin (during which time the old board would continually grow out of synch with the new one unless it were kept shut down even longer).

And as Jenn noted, only a small percentage of registered users are active participants, so having everyone re-register provided a good opportunity for weeding out all the non-active accounts.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would like to register but can't. The verification code makes it inaccessible to the visually impaired and it has no audio option in place. The only link that's there is to "refresh image" and that does nothing to make it any more accessible.

Paypal, Livejournal and some other sites use an audio code generator that the blind can click to listen to a spoken verification code. It's the only way besides simply ditching the code altogether that lets them access site registration without having to rely on somebody else to do it for them.

Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages