snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Come visit our new home! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Come visit our new home!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 220 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To avoid some of the problems attendant with the previous attempt to move us all to a better message board system, a group of posters has generously donated time to help us test a new message board installation and uncover any potential issues in advance. Since we seem to have sorted out all the important quirks discovered so far the only real test left is to get a whole bunch of people to pile onto the new board and see how well it performs, so you're all invited to do so. If the system holds up well enough, it will become our new permanent home.

To get onto the new board, simply go to http://message.snopes.com and register for an account. You should note a couple of important differences in the registration procedure:

1) You will be able to choose your own password when you register, so you will not have to wait for one to be sent to you. You will instead receive an e-mail with a confirmation link that you must click to activate your account.

2) Until your new account has been unlocked by the administrator (i.e., me), you will be able to read the board but not post to it. I'll try to attend to all the new registrations as expeditiously as possible, so please be patient because things may get backed if a lot of people all register at once.

3) The new board will not allow you to have a public name that differs from your login name, nor will it allow you to change your login name, so choose a name you want to stick with. (Your login name *can* be modified, but you have to get an administrator to do it for you.) If you decide to use a login name that differs from your current one, please enter your previous login name in the "Previous message board ID" field of the registration form so that we can match up your new account with your previous account and preserve your post count.

To avoid the need to shut this board down for a few days, we will not be importing data from this board (i.e., previous posts) into the new board. However, this board will remain open during the transition period and for a significant period afterwards, so you will be able to continue any existing discussions. Long-term, this board will also remain permanently available (in read-only mode) for archival purposes.

See you there!

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on in guys, the water's fine!

Except that one spot over there...

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the way the new borad looks easier on the eyes.
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, even though I'm scared of change. Must be something about a complete and utter trust in snopes and his admin-ions that I know it will be for the better.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's why it's been so quiet around here over the past few days.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely. I've posted and made an idiot out of myself already! I really do like it quite a lot.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll miss the active topics previews, but otherwise it looks quite nice.

--------------------

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried to register and it seemed to work (I got the activation link and had access to "members only" stuff) but then, for some reason, I got kicked off and can't log back in. (I realize that I can't post until I get cleared, but I can't even log in to see my profile or anything like that.) If I try to log in, it says that either my log in name or my password in wrong.

Since I thought maybe I had entered my password wrong (or misremembered what I entered) I tried to follow the "forgot your password" link -- It said my email address was invalid (the same email address to which my activation link was sent.)

The new board hates me [Frown]

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
patriot1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patriot1   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. [Smile]

--------------------
"Pray....one for another." JAMES 5:16 NKJV

Posts: 26 | From: Wayne, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
Come on in guys, the water's fine!

Except that one spot over there...

Okay, okay... I'll move, I"ll move.

~Psihala
( [Razz] )

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yaaay! Finally I get to be one of those who can talk about "back on the old board." [Smile]

Great idea, snopes, to do the overlap. The new board looks good!

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

There's a link at the top that says "today's posts" which is essentially the same view as active topics.

ETA: Missed the point that it was the previews, rather than the posts themselves that would be missed.

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

There's a link at the top that says "today's posts" which is essentially the same view as active topics.

ETA: Missed the point that it was the previews, rather than the posts themselves that would be missed.

If you hover your cursor over the topic title, a brief preview appears.

There's a lot of neat stuff there. Try out everything! It might take a while to get used to the new format, but I love it and hope everyone else enjoys it, too.

Thank you snopes for a lovely Christmas present!

ETA: There's a forum called "Test Issues" that you will find very helpful. Different snopesters posted their findings about avatars, the buddy list, quoting posts, etc. as they cruised the site. It's kind of like a user's manual!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, shame that the new board doesn't allow enough username characters for me to keep my name from here in it's entirety. It looks great though -- I'm excited to try it out!

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, Elphie, I'm sorry to hear that.
Last time snopes tried switching boards, I lost my ampersand and my -mmm. I was surprised to discover that I am very attached to them.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we made snopes take all the fun out of the board in the last few days.

I helped.

A lot.

(Glad there was a "free rein" and grace period on bannings!)

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks good, but one line in the "Edit Profile" page confused me:

quote:
Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Mother, Father, how could you have lied to me for so many years? [Confused]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose now that the board is open for everyone, snopes might take some time to clear everyone's registration. Any idea how long it will take?

I hope I don;t sound like one of the people on the We've got mail forum

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It took less than 30 minutes before my account was activated - good job! [Big Grin]
Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks a lot like the board on Bladeforums. Not bad, but I find this one a bit more user-friendly.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
!@#$% I knew I'd seen the name vBulletins before. This is the same system as another board that, when I visit from work, tells me about a dozen times in a row that some feature isn't supported and asks me whether I want to continue anyway. (Fortunately, all I have to do is say "no" once and it stops.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J(ingle all the w)ay Temple:
!@#$% I knew I'd seen the name vBulletins before. This is the same system as another board that, when I visit from work, tells me about a dozen times in a row that some feature isn't supported and asks me whether I want to continue anyway. (Fortunately, all I have to do is say "no" once and it stops.)

Whether or not a feature is supported probably has nothing to do with vBulletin and is set up by the admin. So far, I've had no problem there, and I'm even on the dreaded IE7. Of course, I never had any problem using IE7 here, either!

Casey, the other board format seems just as user-friendly to me. I guess it all depends on what a person likes better. I bet you'll feel right at home in a few days. *hug*

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mythophobia:
It took less than 30 minutes before my account was activated - good job! [Big Grin]

I registered yesterday night (around midnight EST), and my account got activated quickly too. But, after you click on the acivate link, the account goes into moderated status, and my guess is that snopes has to manually clear the moderated status before you can post. I guess, maybe, snopes hasn't got around to clearing the moderated status for everyone who registered today. or maybe somehow he skipped mine

ETA: Eep!! never mind. I clicked on the activation link again and I can post on that forum now. Must be some internet wierdness

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How long did it take for y'all to have your accounts unlocked? I'm eagerly waiting for a chance to try the new board out!

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unbroken
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unbroken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooo. I have always secretly wished the ULMB would switch to vBulletin.

--------------------
Oddly enough, the island of Ireland looks remarkably like a small old man driving an old Ford Fiesta.

Posts: 950 | From: Dublin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My account was activated right away (9:45 this morning), but I cannot post yet. I suppose there will be a crush of new registrations to work through. I would also think snopes will have to take a break from time to time or he will get the worst migraine!!!

He said to be patient. We will get there sometime. [Smile]

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diesa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diesa   Author's Homepage   E-mail Diesa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here Glasspapaya I got the activation email right away and then still could not post or edit my profile. But I figure all in good time.
Posts: 21 | From: Leland, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

I spoke too soon. I can access some functions but I cannot post

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine was activated immediately, too. Now i'm just waiting for my account to be unlocked by snopes so I can go asplorin'!

--------------------

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wa-aa-tin' is the hardest part...

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I self-activated my account, received an e-mail and then waited for about 25 minutes before getting another e-mail stating that the moderator had activated my account as well.
I guess Snopes just likes me better than you, nya. [Wink]

ETA: Can't spell 'likes'.

Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Hmph! Whyyy I oughtaaaaa! [Wink]

--------------------

Em
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

Yes, but it gives you a preview of the OP, not of the most recent post in the thread.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Em:

Yes, but it gives you a preview of the OP, not of the most recent post in the thread.
There's a Today's Posts option in the Quick Links menu. Click on Quick Links, just to the left of Log Out on the top menu bar.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

I am aware of that, however there is no preview of the text. When browsing the active topics page on this board, I am able to read the first few lines of the most recent post. On the new board, I can't do that. Hence why I said I will miss the active topics previews.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages