snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Brit Meet Time Again? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Brit Meet Time Again?
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Said to husband "27th of January, York Minster, Snopes meet, wannago wannago wannago wannago???"

His response, "Er, I'll take that as a yes".

So I should be there. [Big Grin]

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
As you're planning this, don't forget to arrange for a conveniently-located shrubbery, as it's important for Jay Tea to enjoy the day too. Perhaps, at a pinch, a large pot plant would suffice?

As long as I can furtively masturbate without blowing my cover, i'm happy [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

This is York, the stag night capital of the North, you don't even need to be furtive!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mistletoey Chloe:
As you're planning this, don't forget to arrange for a conveniently-located shrubbery, as it's important for Jay Tea to enjoy the day too. Perhaps, at a pinch, a large pot plant would suffice?

I knew it!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Much as I'd love to make it, I am already taking the first weekend of January off to go to Amsterdam with a bunch of internet randoms (I can see it ending so badly, if I don't return after the 8th, you'll know what happened) and as such I think I'd struggle to also take the last weekend of January off. If not, I'd offer to drive.

With that terrible news, I assume the whole party is cancelled. [Frown]

ETA: Though it does fall two days before my politics exam. Maybe I could write it off as a study trip?

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As long as I can furtively masturbate without blowing my cover, i'm happy

Pssst...can I use "blowing my cover" as a masturbation euphemism? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just looking at trains, are we going to go for the usual mid-day start, or for something earlier or later. I know it sounds a bit early, but it turns out the dirt cheap tickets are still availible, allowing me to get a return for 14.50 instead of 45.

(Or I could always book an early ticket and spend a couple of hours wandering the streets of York)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gahh can't edit my post. Thought I'd clarify that early refers to my booking, not the start time.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall book a hotel or B&B for me and +1. That way we can make a weekend of it [Smile]

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheap Eurostar tickets willing, does anyone mind a bloody Yank crashing your party from across the channel? [Wink] I'll be three weeks into a new semester and I'm thinking it'd be the perfect time to take a weekend off.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wellen
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wellen   E-mail Wellen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
argh. A snopes meet 20 min from my present location and I leave back to the States in a week. [Frown]
Posts: 17 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise:
Cheap Eurostar tickets willing, does anyone mind a bloody Yank crashing your party from across the channel? [Wink] I'll be three weeks into a new semester and I'm thinking it'd be the perfect time to take a weekend off.

As long as you don't wear a baseball cap! Come and look at the pretty things in York by all means. [Smile]

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well SilkenRay and Chloe came last time, and I think that between them they count as at least one "crashing Yank" (... er, since SilkenRay is American but lives in the UK - hence "Yank", and Chloe is British but lives in the USA - hence "crashing", I mean) so it would not be unprecedented.

"Cheap" doesn't go well with "Eurostar tickets" but you might be lucky. It would definitely be good to see you if you can make it!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

You can get a return flight from CDG to Leeds/Bradford airport for 50 euros!

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pikey Snow Queen:
quote:

As long as you don't wear a baseball cap! Come and look at the pretty things in York by all means. [Smile]
Quite right. You'll be in the heart of Yorkshire - so it's cricket caps to wear, Yorkshire Tea to drink, fish and chips to eat and flat vowels all round. (OK, that's my stereotyping done for today.)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, Elfland:
quote:
quote:

Quite right. You'll be in the heart of Yorkshire - so it's cricket caps to wear, Yorkshire Tea to drink, fish and chips to eat and flat vowels all round. (OK, that's my stereotyping done for today.)
Are the chips still cooked in fat (as opposed to oil) in York? - they were last time I was there and that's about the last time I had a decent bag of chips - not that there was much to see - the Ouse was enjoying it's annual flood [lol]

Bets thing about York of course are the possies of scary Viking women roaming the streets on a friday night looking for alcopops - daughters of Jrvk indeed [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
Best thing about York of course are the possies of scary Viking women roaming the streets on a friday night looking for alcopops - daughters of Jrvk indeed [Wink]

Are you disrespecting my family?

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You forgot about going down t'pit for tuppence a day, whippet in one hand, long-dead canary in t'other, moaning about the hardships of yorkshire life. for it is, indeed, grim up north.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can get a return flight from CDG to Leeds/Bradford airport for 50 euros!

Merci beaucoup! Hadn't even thought of that option!

--------------------

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O.K. Dave, you can cut all that fancy 'merci boocoop' talk. If you're going to Yorkshire you have to pass the entrance exam.

Good luck. Your time starts now.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
quote:
Best thing about York of course are the possies of scary Viking women roaming the streets on a friday night looking for alcopops - daughters of Jrvk indeed [Wink]

Are you disrespecting my family?
Not in the slightest. I did say 'best thing' after all. Norsewomen are great [Wink]

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, Elfland:
O.K. Dave, you can cut all that fancy 'merci boocoop' talk. If you're going to Yorkshire you have to pass the entrance exam.

Good luck. Your time starts now.

quote:

A Bit Yorkshire

You are NOT SURE if you're from Yorkshire! And neither are we!

Are you a Yorkshire lad who's lost his way? Or are you a non-Yorkshire person who's fallen in love with our glorious region? Only you can know!

Not too bad for someone who's never been to York, I'd say. By the way, did y'all know there's a NEW York? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am 100% Yorkshire, apparently. Which is a bit worrying, considering how I'm from Lancashire and all. *snicker*

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
[QB By the way, did y'all know there's a NEW York? [Big Grin] [/QB]

We never speak of that place.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are NOT from Yorkshire!

You are probably a softie Southerner, or a Northerner who'd like to forget they'd ever encountered a mystery meat pie! Shame on you!

Uncannily accurate. I thought I was going to be a dog at one point...

I think you should get "Yorkshire points" for the roast dinner option, though - surely a proper roast dinner includes Yorkshire pudding. That's the best bit.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a 100% true Yorkshireman!

ha! the southerners have not turned me yet, and they never will!

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A Bit Yorkshire

You are NOT SURE if you're from Yorkshire! And neither are we!

Are you a Yorkshire lad who's lost his way? Or are you a non-Yorkshire person who's fallen in love with our glorious region? Only you can know!

Hmm...

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Uncannily accurate. I thought I was going to be a dog at one point...

Now that's prime Sig material if ever quoted out of context.

--------------------

Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are NOT SURE if you're from Yorkshire! And neither are we! (etc)

I think my admission of collar but no hat confused the matter ....

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[QB By the way, did y'all know there's a NEW York? [Big Grin]

We never speak of that place. [/QB]
What's wrong with North Shields? [Wink]

For some reason I scored 100% Yorkshire. [Mad] We were racing whippets up here long before them (we usually beat them too [Smile] ).

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages