snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Brit Meet Time Again? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Brit Meet Time Again?
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So...have we given up on this idea or does anyone wnat to suggest date/location etc.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soon, and somewhere near Epping or Sawbridgeworth? If I don't get some social contact soon I'm going to go mad.
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live about twelve miles from Epping and work in Sawbridgeworth so either place would be fine for me.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gonna be moving to Sawbridgeworth in a week or two, presuming the paperwork goes through OK. Woo.

ETA: Actually, that's a point. I'll finally have a space in which I can entertain guests! It'd have to be in the New Year after I've had a chance to settle, and it'd have to be a small-ish gathering (no more than, say, five or six people) and would have to be fairly tame (new flat, don't want to get kicked out in the first month)... but... could work as an interim meet between big meets.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "big one" was meant to be up North this time (and last time, before we completely forgot and chose Regents Park instead)... but no reason there should be only one...!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Richard. I'm afraid, much as I'd like to, we can no longer in good conscience shun the North.

Hadn't we settled on York or Manchester? With regards for dates, I'm free on Saturdays 29th January or 5th February which strikes me as quite good dates, since they avoid the whole post-Christmas poverty thing.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm happy with any Northern city that is easily reachable from London, so both York and Manchester fit the bill comfortably.

Also, both of those weekends stated are good for me.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fine with any Northern city - slight preference for York because I think that's an easier train journey. And I have nothing much on in January yet so any weekend is good.

I'm not a lot of help, really.

How about York on January 29th 27th*, then?

* Correction - see below...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for me.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure on the work front, but I would have thought that York in January/February would be fine. (Any excuse to go there!) Manchester would be better, though, because I could then combine it with a visit to my dad in Runcorn.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, all being well [Smile]

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
With regards for dates, I'm free on Saturdays 29th January or 5th February which strikes me as quite good dates, since they avoid the whole post-Christmas poverty thing.

I was just going to add this to my calendar on "Saturday 29th" when I discovered that 29th January 2007 is a Monday. Dara has misled us again. I think he was looking at 2006...

Saturday 27th January in York, then?

Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nuts, can't do 27th - I've got a work conference that weekend.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

At present I can't see any problem with the 27th, but I will have to see how busy I am at work.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll sketch in a Provisional date, but I have another appointment which is currently hovering around there. I've told my friend to avoid that date if He can, but as there is another person involved in the organising it may turn out to be the only suitable weekend.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
I've told my friend to avoid that date if He can

Oooh, is your friend God? [Wink]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:

[Big Grin] God is everyone's friend Mosh.

Obviously I'm happy with York. Looks like me and Johnny T will have to decide on a location.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

The Minster would be a good place. We can all have a picnic in the North Transept, admire the Five Sister's Window, look at the astronomical clock and then we can listen to those funny knight like men when they strike the quarter hours on the other clock.

(I have a friend who works at the Minster. I am sure he can arrange it. [Wink] )

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
The Minster would be a good place. We can all have a picnic in the North Transept, admire the Five Sister's Window, look at the astronomical clock and then we can listen to those funny knight like men when they strike the quarter hours on the other clock.

(I have a friend who works at the Minster. I am sure he can arrange it. [Wink] )

Can we get in for free?! We could check out the baby corpse in the crypt that was mentioned in a previous thread.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:

Can we get in for free?! We could check out the baby corpse in the crypt that was mentioned in a previous thread.
When I was in York for a college reunion in October I got in for free by going to a service. I think you and Johnny should be all right as you live in the diocese, but the rest of us mortals will have to pay! If there are weddings perhaps they will all troop (troup?) past us as at Regents Park in August.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, we'll be in Krakow on the 27th, so its a no from wifey and the doc.
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
27th at what location? For those of us needing to book hotels this is important (a firm date and a firm location!)

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Do you need something more specific than "York"? Can't help if so...
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Do you need something more specific than "York"? Can't help if so...

I don't want to book a room in York and then find out that it was only a suggestion and people go on to decide to meet in Sheffield in February ...

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite right, Llewtrah. And I'd try to make sure they don't change the pub on the day without telling you. Rotters, the lot of them.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
last time in York we went to the Old Starre Inne on Stonegate (I think), which was pretty nice. tho we did have to sit outside for space reasons, which might be an issue in February....

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:

He's an atheist, so if he was he's lacking in self confidence somewhat. (I could swear you capitalised He and She.)

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

I think it would be cool if God was an atheist. Maybe we're on to something [Wink]

--------------------

Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
Quite right, Llewtrah. And I'd try to make sure they don't change the pub on the day without telling you. Rotters, the lot of them.

Imagine someone doing that. The audacity!

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:

Imagine a round dozen of them doing it. It's totally wack.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Anyone roughly London/Essex/etc area free to meet up sometime during the day this Saturday? I know it's short notice but I desperately need to get out of the house and socialize.
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:

Imagine a round dozen of them doing it. It's totally wack.
Wack to the max, I should say.

--------------------

Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Silkenreindeer:
Anyone roughly London/Essex/etc area free to meet up sometime during the day this Saturday? I know it's short notice but I desperately need to get out of the house and socialize.

I don't think I'll be able to make it, sorry... it's the day after our work Christmas do, so I'm already predicting that I'll be largely immobile that day, and on the off-chance that I can get out of bed I have a lunch date. It would be pushing it to commit to any evening plans I think.

Ipswich is near enough to where you are for it to be worth a try on another day though.

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As you're planning this, don't forget to arrange for a conveniently-located shrubbery, as it's important for Jay Tea to enjoy the day too. Perhaps, at a pinch, a large pot plant would suffice?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages