snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Brit Meet Time Again? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Brit Meet Time Again?
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By my calculations, as I wasn't at the last one, isn't it about time we started to organise another British meet up?

What with Christmas coming up and people's busy schedules we should probably look towards the new year, maybe sometime in January/February?

Now for the location, last time was London so perhaps we should head slightly more north. I think Sheffield has been mentioned before, does that suit or does anyone have any other ideas (know any good pubs)? Of course I would prefer a midlands type place, but apparently it's rude to make demands (in some situations anyway [Wink] ) .

Think that covers the initial stages of planning a meet. The rest of you lot can sort the finer details out.

ETA: Unless you buggers have already planned a secret meet that I wasn't privvy to the details of?

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Manchester? I'm hoping to spend a nostalgia weekend there (I used to go there with a friend so we could eat unwise amounts of dangerously spicy curry washed down with equally unwise amounts of real ale each evening and spend all day in museums and galleries).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in my snopes dream where Richard W made us all get off the bus so he could enter a wrestling contest and Andrew of Ware turned out to be Jesus, Mosh had a flat in Sheffield. So we could meet there!

Or we could do Glasgow for Burns Night.

That's all I've got. One useless suggestion and one purely selfish one, based on a brief stopover. I think you guys are on your own.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
I think you guys are on your own.

Well, I would have expected a little extra effort from you if you knew I was coming. [Razz]
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Northern city is fine by me as long as it is easy enough to get to from London.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything north of Hadrian's Wall might require a flight from London. Most northern cities would require a hotel overnight so I don't have to leave the party early! York is nice, but I don't know much about the pubs there. Manchester has the added attraction of the curry mile and has some nice hostelries. I've been to Birmingham and Coventry and wasn't enthused. Nottingham's nice. The trouble is, apart from Manc, I only know those places in the summertime (i.e. picnic and barbecue weather).

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheffield or Manchester would both be fine by me.

I was going to say that I could stay overnight in either place too, but I just realised that my Manchester friends are emigrating to Australia in January, so I have a slight preference for Sheffield because I can stay with my sister and so won't have to leave early... Plus, it's a chance for me to make Chloe's dreams come true.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Plus, it's a chance for me to make Chloe's dreams come true.

Does this mean you'll be entering a wrestling competition?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
(I used to go there with a friend so we could eat unwise amounts of dangerously spicy curry washed down with equally unwise amounts of real ale each evening and spend all day in museums and galleries).

I hope Manchester's galleries were not as confined and airless as some [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Plus, it's a chance for me to make Chloe's dreams come true.

Does this mean you'll be entering a wrestling competition?
Damn, I thought that was a euphemism.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anything north of Hadrian's Wall might require a flight from London. Most northern cities would require a hotel overnight so I don't have to leave the party early! York is nice, but I don't know much about the pubs there.

There's a pub for every day of the year in York. I have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of York's pubs. What's the criteria? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to try and make this one, since the reports of the last sound like it was interesting. January/February should be fine for me, although I do have a conference at the end of January with work.

ETA I have an aunt living in York, so I could possibly claim a bed/floor there.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

We had a gathering in York once before, a few years ago, and it was do-able from Ipswich.
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
quote:
Anything north of Hadrian's Wall might require a flight from London. Most northern cities would require a hotel overnight so I don't have to leave the party early! York is nice, but I don't know much about the pubs there.

There's a pub for every day of the year in York. I have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of York's pubs. What's the criteria? [Big Grin]
Last time I went to York, I ended up in a Chinese resturant that turned into a late-night disco when the pubs shut. Is that place still open?

--------------------

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:
quote:

Last time I went to York, I ended up in a Chinese resturant that turned into a late-night disco when the pubs shut. Is that place still open?
The Willow? I believe it is still open. It's one of those places that is perpetually closing down!

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

York is do-able. At that time of year the weekend breaks should be quite reasonable and trains are okay. And it has a railway museum ... and the Jorvik centre ... yippee!

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
North is definately better for me, and York is doable; Manchester slightly less so, but still doable. Meanwhile January/February is good, as I haven't yet booked myself up after Christmas.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a pub for every day of the year in York.

When I lived in York I was told that it used to have 52 churches (allegedly) so you could spend each day getting drunk in a different pub and each Sunday repenting in a different church.

Oh, and when I was in York a couple of weeks ago, the 'Roman Bath' pub now charges you to go and have a look at the Roman baths in its cellar. A group of us were going to have lunch there and see the baths, but we paid to look at them and had lunch elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
Andrew of Ware turned out to be Jesus

Bless you, my child! (Actually we had a talk at my church recently on 'becoming more like Jesus', but I didn't realise I was so close!)

Anyway, depending on week chosen I could make Manchester or York as I can stay with my dad. (He lives near Runcorn, so that would be even better!)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
When I lived in York I was told that it used to have 52 churches (allegedly) so you could spend each day getting drunk in a different pub and each Sunday repenting in a different church.

Yep, sounds feasible! I'll lay off the repenting though.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:

Yep, sounds feasible! I'll lay off the repenting though.
In which case I'll stick to shandies.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
York is good for me given I'm, er, from there and all...

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, shame. Bit too far for me down in the South West corner. Although, I have friends to visit in Nottingham and Sheffield so I could make a long weekend of it... hmmm... *puts thinking cap on*
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in.

Anywhere that's not ridiculously far away is doable (ie. not Inverness).

York or Manchester are fine by me.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nottingham's nice.

Cite please. [Wink]

York and Manchester will do for me too, with a slight leaning towards Manc as I have a yearning for a new piercing and that's where my piercer is.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like York. Manchester would also be good. Mind you I do like the Burns Night idea...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mwahaha
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:
Nottingham's nice.

Cite please. [Wink]

No cite, just personal experience - I used to go there a lot with former hubby [Razz]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:
Nottingham's nice.

Cite please. [Wink]

No cite, just personal experience - I used to go there a lot with former hubby [Razz]
I was born there, so of course it's nice. Or at least it was on 19th November 1955.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday, Andrew!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday, Andrew!!

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Thanks Chloe and kitoboo.

51 yesterday. [Frown] One of these days I must grow up.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's any comfort, Andrew, you're very well preserved for your advanced years. You look much younger than Richard W, for example.

ETA: Oh, and many happy returns.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Hmph.

Happy Birthday for yesterday, Andrew. I must admit I thought you were at least ten years younger than you actually are, too...

Llewtrah

Belated many happies and please don't grow up [Smile]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Thanks Zachery, Richard and Llewtrah. Oh, and there's no chancve of me ever growing up. People have been telling me to grow up for 51 years and I haven't succeeded yet.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages