snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Announcements » Notice of scheduled downtime (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Notice of scheduled downtime
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're planning to upgrade the message board software tomorrow (Nov. 1), so expect this board to be unavailable for most of the day.

Since this will be a major upgrade to a completely different version of the message board software that incorporates many new features, once the board comes back up you'll probably find that many things look different, work differently, seem confusing, or don't work at all. It may take a few days or more for us to shake things out and get everything working properly, so please be patient. (I haven't even had a chance to try out the new software myself, so it'll be as much of a mystery to me as it will to everyone else.)

The new message board software is database-driven, so it should be considerably faster than the current version.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But, but, but... then we'll have to :gasps: do work!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
followsthewolf
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for followsthewolf   E-mail followsthewolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*rends hair and tugs spasmodically at clothing*

.....can't......take......it

Posts: 117 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh*

Followed by excitement for new software adventures!!!

Godspeed, snopes!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NOOOOOOO!

How am I going to entertain myself at work tomorrow? I have to do something while our database goes down!

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Software upgrade? Should be exciting!!!

Also, I will get some work done tommorrow

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm, I may actually do some housework tomorrow.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks so much for letting us know. Look forward to the improvements.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn, I have tomorrow off. I guess I could....go...outside my house? It'll be an adventure!

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 301 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
Software upgrade? Should be exciting!!!

Oh DOYC I hope not! I've been involved in to many software upgrades to want anything interesting or exciting!

And it leaves me with a big question of what to do tomorrow. I guess I may as well accept that lunch invitation [Smile]

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Offline????
~~~~guru faints~~~~~

Oh, well, I guess I can spend time with the pirate tomorrow....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if we'll all start off at 0 posts again. . .

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope not. It has taken me five years to get this far....

Oh, well, if it happens, it happens. We will all look like newbies. Everyone will have to be initiated all over again, just to make sure no one slips through....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck. I know first hand how well "upgrades" can go.... "What do you mean by, 'There is no database'?!?!?!?!" [Eek!]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancin' Fool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancin' Fool   E-mail Dancin' Fool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The techy in me will shudder . . .
The user in me shall mutter . . .
But, snopes rules the roost . . .
And the site gains a boost !!!
All while I sit here and putter . . .

[fish] (Not a poet and I know it)

(Need to get back to my day job, soon. [lol] )
Oh well, I have lots of things to do around here while non-patiently awaiting the return of the "Improved, Faster and Better" snopes

Posts: 266 | From: Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any chance we'll lose data off our accounts? PMs and whatnot?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God - the board is having major surgery. Should I say a Rosary?

Hail Motherboard Full of Data
Process for us now and in the hour of our downtime
Amen

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good thing Wednesday is new badge day on Pogo tomorrow or else I don't know what I'd do!

Pixie"what'll I do without my snopes fix?"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to it being a faster board, because for the last few days I've rarely been able to access the boards. I keep getting a "server busy" announcement, and on the rare occasions when I can actually access the ULMB, the pages take nearly a full minute to load.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there any chance we'll lose data off our accounts? PMs and whatnot?
The newer version's installation procedure is designed to import everything from the existing version, so all previous posts, account settings, PMs, etc., should be preserved.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You will be in our thoughts, snopes. We will try to be patient.

Meanwhile, some of us used to go over to ezboard when this board was experiencing difficulties and we just needed a fix! I see nobody has been there for a while, but I cleared away a few of the cobwebs and it seems to still be working.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixiechic:
Good thing Wednesday is new badge day on Pogo tomorrow or else I don't know what I'd do!

Pixie"what'll I do without my snopes fix?"chic

That is probably where I will be too. Can't wait to see what the new features will be.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, snopes. You're braver than I am. Can't imagine jumping in without trying it out first!

Thanks for letting us know. You may have avoided an international panic.

Just in case: It's been wonderful knowing all of you. ::sniffle, sniffle::

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any chance of providing a link to a different forum that uses the new version so we can look around in advance?
Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We fear change...

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I'm looking forward to it being a faster board, because for the last few days I've rarely been able to access the boards. I keep getting a "server busy" announcement, and on the rare occasions when I can actually access the ULMB, the pages take nearly a full minute to load.

And I thought it was just my ISP being even slower than usual.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope all goes smoothly with the upgrade.

I'm looking forward to checking out the changes.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! I'm glad to know the recent slowdown wasn't me. Now, I guess I'll spend tomorrow actually working. That sucks.

Good luck, snopes. We depend on you. No pressure, or anything. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Will time-travel be a new option? Or a larger cup-holder? If I hug my monitor, will you finally be able to feel it, snopes?

Thanks, by the by, for yer efforts.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:

I wonder if we'll all start off at 0 posts again. . .

Dare to dream!

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
If I hug my monitor, will you finally be able to feel it, snopes?

I would steal that for a sig line, but I don't want to appear too sycophantic.

Good luck with the upgrade, snopes! See you on the other side.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
Meanwhile, some of us used to go over to ezboard when this board was experiencing difficulties and we just needed a fix!

There's also the unofficial chatroom if people want a place to hang out and commiserate.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Will I still be registered October 1492??

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy crap, UBB finally came out with that upgrade? Awesome! Can't wait to see what all new toys come with it [Big Grin]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for all the hard work you put in to make this board so special, snopes.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages