snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » San Diego’s Persistent Aviation Legends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: San Diego’s Persistent Aviation Legends
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a fact that there is no evidence that has ever been produced that the Navy offered the city of San Diego in 1954 the Naval Air Station Miramar for $1. It's an urban legend that has never been substantiated.

There are other legends in San Diego that persist, too.

http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=9909795.7625393.1385709.429099.9425426.300&aID2=106584

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my "Moon Handbook to Silicon Valley":

"...the U.S. Navy was looking for a location to base its new program of constructing massive dirigibles for military use...the Navy had narrowed its choices to to San Diego's Camp Kearney, and a 1000 acre tract of undeveloped bayland east of Sunnyvale. A base would bring more than 500 badly needed construction jobs as well as many service jobs to the chosen site, so both San Diego and Santa Clara County offered to provide the land for a token $1."

Camp Kearney became Miramar, and the location in Sunnyvale is now Moffett Field.

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages