snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Fragging the lieutenants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fragging the lieutenants
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have always wondered about the truth of something I heard in WII.
During the invasion of Attu in Alaska there were 20-30 casualties although
there wasn't a Japanese presence on the island. The story that circulated
was that the casulaties were predominately second lieutenants. The
implication was that disguntled troops behind them were responsible.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hardhead
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardhead   E-mail hardhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe you are thinking of Kiska not Attu, there were about 200 casualties on Kiska of which 17 Americans and 4 Canadians died. The deaths were from booby traps and friendly fire. I have never heard that the fatalities were from "fragging", though that doesn't mean much.

--------------------
President Bush said what? And you believed him?? Heeeere's your sign

Posts: 85 | From: Park Forest, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like the result of a military joke being turned into an urban legend.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A freshly minted second lieutenant is quite the sight to behold...

For a unit leader to "lead a charge" is either uber-brave, or uber-foolish.

In my estimation, there is a dearth of 2LT's in the former, and a wealth of them in the latter.

The invasion of Kiska was very early in the war - especially in the Pacific. I can see the LT's being very green and potential targets for fragging - however, the enlisted force in the Pacific was just as green, meaning that the odds have it that they would be truly unable to distinguish the traits in a poor leader that would get them killed.

Ergo, the enlisted folk were unable to figure which LT's were good or bad, so I would highly doubt that the death toll was due to fragicution.

According to [url= http://www.nps.gov/aleu/historyculture/upload/Invasion%20of%20Kiska%20Brochure%208.5%20x%2011.pdf#search=%22invasion%20of%20Kiska%20WWII%22]one web site[/url], there were 24 allied soldiers killed by friendly fire, 4 by booby traps, and 71 killed when the USS Abner Read struck a mine. 168 were wounded or ill.

Other sites have even fewer dying... One from the Canadian military lists ONE friendly fire death - by a guy that is thought to have bumped a big bomb on the nose with his shovel as he was cleaning up.

I very strongly doubt the OP claim.

(ETA: I tried to fix the linky, but the system won't let me...)

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]My dad served on Attu on his first tour. After a brief leave at home, he was sent on a second tour in Europe. He never saw combat there, either. Hated the whole Army experience, though, from basic training on up.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages