snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » U.N. waiver for U.S. troops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.N. waiver for U.S. troops
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My wife recently told me that she heard that all U.S. Service
personell are required to sign a waiver that states that if the United
Nations orders it that they will fire on U.S. citizens. As a former Marine
I told her that I know of no such waiver nor was I asked to sign anything
of the sort when I was on active duty. I could find nothing on your
website about this and was wondering if you have of any such waiver.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seriously doubt it. UN asks nations to send troops, and these troops are there as part of a national force that cooperates with other national forces. Their loyalty is always to their nation first, and if there should ever be a disagreement between UN and their nation, they are expected to be on the side of their nation.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No. There is no such document, unless they somehow magically slipped it by me and several million other military personnel.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no such waiver. Sounds like more tinfoil hat stuff.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder Global Trotter:
There is no such waiver. Sounds like more tinfoil hat stuff.

Yeah, but surely if they made you sign the waiver, then they'd also make you sign a waiver promising not to talk about the waiver? Then another one promising not to talk about the second waiver, just to be sure? And so on, ad infinitum.

I know those UN fellas. You can't trust them.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a moot point. The UN would never get around to issuing such an order. First, they'd have to discuss it. Then pass a declaration to consider it. Then discuss it again. Then pass a resolution outlining their intent to discuss the possibility of issuing the order. Then pass a declaration to state their intent to forward it to the Security Council. Then discuss it some more. Then pass a resolution to send it to the Security Council.

And if, by some miracle, it ever got to the Security Council, the US representative would simply veto it....

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no point to such a waiver anyway...there's nothing that would prevent a US service member from firing on US citizens...the wordings of the oath of enlistment and commissioned officer oath specifically state "all enemies, foreign and domestic," so why would a waiver be needed for something that doesn't need to be waived?

Oaths of Enlistment and Oaths of Office

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages