snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Coronado Bridge mined?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coronado Bridge mined?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I recently heard the Coronado Bridge, from San Diego, CA to
Coronado, which contains a naval base, is mined for self-destruction. Is
there any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that somebody has their facts confused and may be thinking about this news report from 2002.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was living in San Diego I once went on a harbor cruise. During the cruise we went under the Coronado bridge and the tour guide told us that the bridge was engineered to be collapsed in the event of national emergency so that large numbers of navy ships could move in and out of the harbor without obstruction from the bridge. No mines--just sections that would collapse in a pre-determined order. I'm not sure if this tour guide was just passing along the UL or not, but the idea that it is engineered to come down in sections seems much more feasable to me than it actually blowing up.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see no logical military reason why they would rig the Coronado bridge for self-destruction. The pilings of the bridge are hardly enough of an obstruction to shipping to justify that. Chunks of bridge falling into the water would be much more of a detriment to navigation.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in the upper bay is like that, and so are sections of the bridge/tunnels near Norfolk. the tunnels are rigged to colapse so the channels are deeper. Really, more new obstructions help ships get out faster [Wink]

self [fish]

War

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just down there a couple of weeks ago, visting an uncle on the island, and I'll confirm, that, AFAIK, the bridge is definitely high enough, and the pilings far enough from each other for any ships to get through, no prob.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For anyone unfamiliar with it, it looks like this:
 -
Higher res, different angle
I would imagine most ships would be able to fit under it fine.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

/slight hijack

Is that bridge really curved like that, or is the lens/angle/something else making a straight stretch of road look like it turns? If it is curved, is it going around something? Wouldn’t it be much less expensive to build a straight bridge?

/end curious hijack

K “The shortest distance ...” DS

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The bridge is really curved like that. I have driven on it a few times when on vacation in San Diego.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KDS:
Greetings,

/slight hijack

Is that bridge really curved like that, or is the lens/angle/something else making a straight stretch of road look like it turns? If it is curved, is it going around something? Wouldn’t it be much less expensive to build a straight bridge?

/end curious hijack

K “The shortest distance ...” DS

Apparently, it is curved to make it longer...so that the grade is less steep.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/tollbridge/Coronado/Corofacts.html

I've been over it on a motorcycle, back in the day when you didn't have to wear a helmet. Great view....

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The bridge is curved to make it longer...longer so it can be higher...and higher so that most Navy ships can pass under it to get to the 32nd Street Navy Base and the shipyards and dry-docks there.

There is a standby plan to blast an emergency channel through the isthmus -- "The Silver Strand" -- so that if the bridge were collapsed, or if the mouth of the harbor were blocked, the Navy vessels could escape.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mau
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mau   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mau   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*shudders* I always hated going over that bride when I lived in SD. It's so hiiiiigh.. (and gotta love the suicide helpline signs plastered everywhere along the sides)
Posts: 37 | From: WA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only do the have signs, but they have an actual phone at the midpoint that goes straight to the suicide hotline if you pick it up.

I remember driving over the bridge in the Driver's Ed car.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages