snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) a Marine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) a Marine?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Subject: Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) Military Service

Several websites discussing the biography of Paul Reubens state that he
was honorably discharged from the US Marine Corps. Others do not.
Judging by the chronology of his career, it doesn't seem possible that
there would have been enough time to complete basic training and serve in
the Marines unless it was in a Reserve status.

Also, interesting enough, his father (Milton Rubenfeld) who sold lamps in
Florida, was supposed to be a WWII pilot for the British Air Corps, the US
Army Air Corps, and then one of the original pilots for the Israeli Air
Force.

Any ideas? I thought that the subject was interesting, especially in
light of Pee-Wee Herman's recent revival on the Cartoon Network.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a fairly lengthy interview with him on NPR that went over pretty much his whole life, and there was certainly no mention made of military service.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IMDB and tv.com say he was honorably discharged but there doesn't seem to be much other information.

He was born in 1952 and would have been eligible for the Vietnam era draft. Many guys enlisted the various branchs of the service in an attempt to give them some sort of control over where or how they served. He could have been in the reserves. He could have enlisted then been separated early for some reason with an honorable discharge. Or he could have done his two years rather uneventfully. Or it isn't true.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the movie "Blow" Paul Reubens played a Former Marine (There is no such thing as an ex-Marine [Razz] )
maybe people are confusing a film role with real life

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
IMDB and tv.com say he was honorably discharged but there doesn't seem to be much other information.

He was born in 1952 and would have been eligible for the Vietnam era draft. Many guys enlisted the various branchs of the service in an attempt to give them some sort of control over where or how they served. He could have been in the reserves. He could have enlisted then been separated early for some reason with an honorable discharge. Or he could have done his two years rather uneventfully. Or it isn't true.

Well, he wasn't drafted. With a birth date of Aug 27, 1952, he would have been in the lottery for the 1971 draft (the last one). But his draft number would have been 352, and 95 was the highest number drawn (ref: www.sss.gov).

From various bios on the 'net, he seems to have enrolled in Boston University in 1970 and California Institute of the Arts in 1971, from which he apparently graduated. That leave a gap of 3 or so years between that and his first credited TV roll in 1977. Not sure what the minimum enlistment for the Marines in the 1970's was, but it seems pretty doubtful that he enlisted and served his commitment in that timeframe, unless it was in the Reserves.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Born in 1952, he would have been drafted in 1972 but his number drawn in 1971. Aug. 23 was 110 though only 95 were called. The previous year, 125 were called. That may have been motivation enough for him to join the Marines.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hijack/ I have a sickening vision of Jackson's The Lottery every time I read anything about numbers being drawn for the draft during the Vietnam War.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would have been possible for him to have joined the Marines and been discharged early for any number of reasons, ranging from physical disability to "failure to adapt to military life." If he had not received a court-martial or Article 15, then he would have got an honorable discharge.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages