snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Mnemonic device for military hierarchy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mnemonic device for military hierarchy?
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 209 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just now getting around to reading "Band of Brothers" which my brother gave to me some time ago, and I get periodically thrown when they mention this regiment or that batallion - would help if I had a handy-dandy mnemonic device to help me keep the order straight.

Yes, I feel like an idiot for having to ask this, but I assume there is an existing mnemonic device for remembering the heirarchy of military organizations (Army / Corps / Division / Brigade / Battalion / Company / Platoon / Squad - if I have the order right.)

Any of you fine uniformed folks care to help out the poor dumb civilian?

Ali "Kings Play Chess on Fine Grain Sand" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there is one, I don't know of it. You live within the structure of this heirarchy, so it's really no different then knowing your address.

For instance I'm in the heavy mortar section (sort of a squad/platoon hybrid) of B Troop (like a company, but we're cavalry) 1st Squadron (like a battalion, but Cav does things differently)167th Regiment. Our squadron is assigned to 1st Brigade Combat Team of the 34th Infantry Division. We're commanded by the 3rd Corps Support Command (we're their security element) who falls under Multi National Corps - Iraq, under US Central Command (similar to an Army of the Second World War).

I'm sure I haven't helped at all here.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about "Armed Corpses Divide a Bridge, Battling Commie Platypuses while Squatting"?

Except that's probably harder than just remembering the names....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 98 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How about "Armed Corpses Divide a Bridge, Battling Commie Platypuses while Squatting"?

Honest to god, Brad, please get some help. I may actually remember that one, just because it took me so long to quit laughing long enough to respond.

CannonFodder, thanks. I get what you mean. And I realized it was probably looked weird that I asked for a memory trick to remember the order of something I posted, but I had to look it up to type it here.

Anyway, I assumed there was an existing mnemonic for it. Guess I'll just have to use Brad's.

Ali "Mnemonic Drill" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One small warning here: Don't assume this is the case for other nations. Just like ranks, this may vary a lot.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
One small warning here: Don't assume this is the case for other nations. Just like ranks, this may vary a lot.

I think it is fairly standard across NATO, though, and armies influenced by the NATO nations. The Soviets had a very similar orbat, and I imagine that the successor nations did.

Don't know about you Swedes, though. Is the Longboat still the main tactical unit? [Big Grin]

(Actually, I thought the Swedes under Gustavus Adolphus were responsible for all modern military structures).

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think smaller nations dispense of some levels because they don't make sense in a small army.

quote:
Don't know about you Swedes, though. Is the Longboat still the main tactical unit?
No, we usually just talk our way out of trouble. I don't know why, the longboats did prove to be very effective.

Actually, we have a fairly modern defence, with domestic production of much of the material, from fighters and attack aircraft to ships and submariens to tanks and APC/MICVs to firearms and artillery.

Our main problem is that we spend all the money on cool technology, so we don't have the money to put more than a small part of the population through the mandatory military service, so we barely have any personel at all and even fewer who can handle all the cool technology.

I think we would have a better defense against the likely threats we face if we simply put a good rifle in every home along with a box of cartridges.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't "Regiment" supposed to be in there somewhere (between "Brigade" and "Battalion," I think)?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:

Just to give a simple example of this, most British and Commonwealth infantry units also have the regiment as a level of organization. For example, the Royal Canadian Regiment has its 1st Battalion based in Ontario and its 2nd Battalion based in New Brunswick.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan ab Arthur

ETA: If I have to be spanked by anyone, it might as well be the Big Boss himself [Wink]

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Isn't "Regiment" supposed to be in there somewhere (between "Brigade" and "Battalion," I think)?

- snopes

Says here that the U.S. Army now gets along without regiments.

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Says here that the U.S. Army now gets along without regiments.

Not quite. There are two types of regiments in the US: historical and operational (not the real term because I don't know what the real term is). The actual, real, active duty regiments are the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, the 3rd United States Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), the 75th Ranger Regiment, the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, and the 11th Aviation Regiment. All are roughly Brigade sized elements (though the Old Guard might be smaller).

In contrast, there exists the US Army Regimental System where Battalions are part of an historic regiment. For example one of the battalions in the 1st Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division is the 1st Battalion of the 22nd Infantry Regiment. The 2nd Battalion of the 22nd Infantry Regiment is part of the 1st Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division. This way the historical regiments live on. The 10th Cavalry Regiment (the Buffalo Soldiers) still exists as squadrons (cavalry equivalent of a battalion) in several different divisions.

And to add to confusion, cavalry and artillery use different names for types of units. The basic hierarchy, using infranty as the base, from low to high, is:
  • Team/Crew: 4-5 people
  • Squad: 2 teams, plus non-commissioned officer (NCO) as squad leader.
  • Platoon: 3-4 squads plus Lieutenant as Platoon Leader, Sergeant First class as Platoon Sergeant.
  • Company/Troop/Battery: 3-4 Platoons, plus headquarters element, Captain as commander, First Sergeant as top NCO. Troop is the Cavalry name, Battery is Artillery name.
  • Battalion/Squadron: 3-4 companies plus headquarters company, Lieutenant Colonel commmands, Sergeant Major is top NCO. Squadron is the cavalry name.
  • Brigade/Regiment: 3-4 Battalions plus Headquarters battalion. Colonel commands, Sergeant Major as top NCO. Regiment adds organic aviation, signals company, military intelligence company, engineer company, chemical company. Stryker brigades and all future brigades will have all those except aviation as organic elements also.
  • Division: 3-5 Brigades plus Aviation Brigade plus Headquarters Brigade. Major General commands.
  • Corps: More than one Division, plus its own support brigades. Lieutenant General commands.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Okay, so how about "Armed Corpses Divide a Bridge, Regally Battling Commie Platypuses while Squatting"?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages