snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Arlington National Cemetery- Christmas Wreaths

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arlington National Cemetery- Christmas Wreaths
WineTime
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WineTime   Author's Homepage   E-mail WineTime   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Is this true?

I had never heard of this. I have only visited in the summer months. I wonder why the press hasn't enlightened the public about it?

Arlington National Cemetery

All tombs get a wreath at Christmas. Readers may be interested to know that these wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine. The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

--------------------
WineTime

Posts: 1 | From: West Chester, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I found a couple of links that seem to confirm it, at least that he donates the wreaths. I don't where it says he "trucks" them for free.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/christmas-wreaths-2004.htm

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wreaths-2005.htm

http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Dec2005/051215-F-3050V-029.html

I'm not sure what Harrington being in a poor part of the state has to do with anything. The guy that owns wreath company probably makes plenty of money. ETA: but it's certainly noteworthy that he does it.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
wreath-a-chow

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages