snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » A masterpiece rumor of the Great War

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A masterpiece rumor of the Great War
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Word spread among soldiers up and down the trench lines that there was an alternative between death by the futile charge against enemy fortifications and death by being summarily executed for refusing orders. The rumor was that men were living inside the territory of No Man's Land -- and beneath it. They had found refuge in the underground caverns where neither side could get to them. They were, in effect, deserters from both armies who had, at first, fallen into the tunnels and bunkers while making the charge. But they had refused to climb out of their holes, and soon enough had organized themselves into a kind of third force -- not fighters any more, but mere survivors, at home in the caverns. Dozens of them, perhaps hundreds. Human beings caring for one another, no matter what uniform they were wearing.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/07/10/a_masterpiece_rumor_of_the_great_war/

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very sceptical. He doesn't give any references. Having read a couple of books of letters from soldiers in the trenches I have not seen any reference to these tunnels. How were the tunnels supported? How did the tunnels survive the frequent shell blasts? Where did the soldiers get the food? What did the soldiers do after the war? They would have been listed as 'killed in action' or 'missing'. They couldn't just suddenly appear without questions being asked.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew, I'm thinking that the chlorine gas that was used went down the tunnels and killed them all. [Roll Eyes]

On the other hand, this sounds like someone's utopian view of the camraderie of the trenches. Not based in reality at all.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read a spot on the Great War ( Yes, the one I still prefer, sir, is the war of 14-18 ) and I've never heard of that rumor.

Is this, perhaps, somehow conflated with the fantasy of the soldier from H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds," where an underground survival of civilization is (feverishly) envisioned?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thought has struck me. From the article linked to in the OP:

quote:
They were angels, the soldiers told one another ahead of each assault, who would take care of those who fell. The wounded who could do so would then be able to join the deserters in the safety of the caverns. When they recovered from their wounds, they, too, would be angels, emerging at night to rescue the fallen.
Do I hear echoes of 'The Angel of Mons' myth?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The area under no-man's land was fairly well tunnelled anyway, with squads of engineers building mines and planting bombs under enemy lines. Several of the large offensives started with the simultaneous detonation of charges beneath the enemy front line. The miners also built counter-mines and listened for enemy digging; there's no way there could be a network of tunnels that they didn't know about.

I've read that (despite what you may assume) being in one of the mining squads was a comparatively cushy job - it was out of the way of most of the danger, and since most of the people doing it were miners in peacetime anyway, it wasn't much different from their usual work. I suppose it only seemed cushy because their usual work was unimaginably nasty and dangerous to most of us, though.

(edit) I guess this is missing the point, though; the real question is how widespread this rumour was, not whether the tunnel community existed because it obviously didn't. I've never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean a lot.

(another edit) I'll recommend this book again:

Mud, Blood and Poppycock: Britain and the Great War by Gordon Corrigan.

It's billed as debunking the myths surrounding the First World War, and it disagrees with a lot of what's said about the Somme in that article.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. Geologically speaking these 'caverns' would have been in loamy earth and other superficial deposits, they would have been entombed the second a barrage hit.

That said, even if a suitable underground redoubt was discovered, i'd have sooner deserted to Paris [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul Fussell references this tale in his classic study, "The Great War and Modern Memory". He's in no doubt that it's a myth pure and simple.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the myth, though? The tunnel community or the idea that many soldiers "believed" this rumour?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages