snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » No saluting zones. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: No saluting zones.
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
Also, if you have End-Of-Runway duty, you should not be bare-chested and laying on the bed of the truck tanning when Air Force One lands. Ever.

I agree, that's got to be an interesting story. But who would see you?

Also...If your Huey platoon is supposed to be on 5 minute alert, it's not a good idea to pull the lawn chairs out and tan or play frizbee when the company commander lands. Unless you want to spend the rest of the day in MOPP-4. [flame]

quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
IIRC, it the Army it was only O-6's and above that were issued stickers for their car and required a salute.

The car stickers I've seen for the Army, Navy and Air Force all consisted of a DoD sticker, along with a strip with the name of the military installation; blue for officers and green for enlisted.
These are small blue stickers with white rank insignia, about 1" tall, placed on the front bumper of the car.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Delta-V, aren't those white rank insignia thingies just for O-6's and above? I haven't seen them in a LONG time for anything less than bird rank.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Likewise for us, only colonels and above get those, though ours are red.

However, for those whose ego outshines their wit, the MCX seels a number of unofficial stickers denoting every rank from PFC to LtCol. While I can understand why a SgtMaj, a 1stSgt, or a LtCol (unit commander) might want their specific rank denoted on their vehicle, I have to laugh every time a see a PFC or 2ndLt driving around with his rank proudly displayed... dude, get over yourself. [Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 304 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
[qb] Also, if you have End-Of-Runway duty, you should not be bare-chested and laying on the bed of the truck tanning when Air Force One lands. Ever.

I agree, that's got to be an interesting story. But who would see you?
Normally flights go out staggered and return staggered, say 4, 4, and 4 and you turn 2, 2, and 2 so (unless the wind changes) you run back and forth from arm end to de-arm end. We park right on the edge of the tarmac so we are pretty close to the aircraft. We wore ear plugs and muffs usually the whole time because it is a PITA to put them back on. Somewhere during the down time we noticed a big passenger plane was almost to the turn area. When it turned, we stared in shock as we realized it was FOX 1. As it whizzed past us we scrambled to our feet and grabbed for our t-shirts but, alas, we were too late. I knew we were supposed come to attention to salute that bird (or at least one of us was).
You see, they don't pre-release that the plane is arriving but they do announce on the maintenance and UHF net that a VIP transit plane has arrived.
I suppose if I had had my radio on louder and not had ear plugs in I might have heard the announcement.

But who would see you?

My best two guesses are 1) The tower may have spotted us with their HUGE Binoculars and reported us. (Unlikely. The Binocular Dudes were enlisted) or 2) The pilot reported us. My guess is #2.

We got properly attired in what Uncle Sam so graciously issued......and waited for it: not more than ten minutes had elapsed.

"Cobra one, Cobra."
"This is Cobra 1, Chief."
"Crew 3 is coming out to relieve you."
"Great! For lunch, right?"
"No. You and I have been given an opportunity to speak with the Wing Commander."
"Again?"
"Yes, again....."

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
French military principle: in the Navy, you must salute everything that moves, and paint everything that doesn't.

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard Morvan:
French military principle: in the Navy, you must salute everything that moves, and paint everything that doesn't.

I think it's great that the US Navy has the same maxim. I wonder who stole from whom.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Smartly saluted waffles!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Go back several hundred years and I think you would have found, "In the XXX, you must salute everything and polish everything that doesn't."

This goes along with the "old timers" in the service bitching and complaining about the "new guys" in the service and the drop in standards... just like the old guys when THEY were the new guys...

Some things NEVER change. :wink2:

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Go back several hundred years and I think you would have found, "In the XXX, you must salute everything and polish everything that doesn't."

"tutus panton ut permoveo, quod poena panton ut does non"

(I'm sure someone will correct that...)

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Especially the "does" [Wink]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Company
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company   E-mail Bad Company   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
I saw a recent documentary on the Allied campaign in southern France in World War 2. It explained that the men were given time off to enjoy the beaches of Nice and Cannes. But there was a large sign erected that stated that saluting was not required in those areas. Was it standard practice not to require saluting for soldiers on leave, or was it a special treat.

When I went through Basic at fort Bliss in '82, I got an ear infection that required hospitalization, the Military hospital there had a courtyard and it was declared a "no hat, no salute zone" by the post commander. Don't know the boundaries under which those are set up though.
Posts: 24 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages