snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Airline Pilot has flashback to WW2?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Airline Pilot has flashback to WW2?
Graham
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Graham   E-mail Graham   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was talking with a friend about aircraft disasters and he told me the following story.

Sometime in the late 50's or early 60's a passenger jet was flying across the US, the pilot was in control and the co-pilot was in the passenger cabin chatting up a flight attendant.

Then all of a sudden the plane does some fairly violent manoeuvers throwing everyone who's not wearing a seatbelt around.

The co-pilot makes his way to the cockpit and finds the flight engineer picking himself off the floor. The pilot turns to them and says something along the lines of "They're throwing up a lot of flack today, Guadalcanal (or Rabaul, my informant was unsure which) is always a hard target."

Then supposedly what happened was that the co-pilot quickly grabbed the controls while the flight-engineer subdued the pilot.

The plane made an emergency landing and the pilot was comitted to an asylum.

It sounds somewhat bogus, but you never know...

Can anyone provide a cite or evidence that this actually occurred?

Posts: 27 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this in a book called "Airport International". I don't recall a cite but I'll try to find my copy and confirm.

For the record, I think it had the pilot referring to Guadalcanal.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"He was with me over Macho Grande."

"Over Macho Grande?"

"No, I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande."

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found one entry for a helicopter crash caused by a flashback. Not much detail...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=NYC88LA105&rpt=fi

The database only goes back to 1962 though.

A history of mental illness (in this case psychosis) would disqualify the pilot from his medical certificate, so unless this was the first (and last) time this happened to the guy, I vote bogus.

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graham

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham   E-mail Graham   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to get it to work, was it cut off short?

Any chance you could post the search terms you used?

As an aside, from what I can remember the Boing 707, which is as far as I know the best option for the identify of the aircraft being flown went into service around 1958-1959 sothe incedient could have occurred before the database cut off.

Posts: 27 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Biggles
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggles   E-mail Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with DAnnino on this one.. its from the movie "Airplane!"

quote:

Ted Striker: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.
Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?
Ted Striker: I can't tell you that. It's classified.

Posts: 83 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, found it...

AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL by Brian Moynahan (Pan Books, London, 1978), p. 84. Verbatim quote reads:

quote:
An intructor pilot, who was examining another airline pilot on a Boeing 707, suddenly wrenched the plane into a steep climbing turn and yelled, "Damn Japs down there are putting up a lot of flak. Guadalcanal will always be a tough target." He was over Oklahoma City at the time. The crew had to knock him out.
Moynahan doesn't quote a source, unfortunately.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Graham

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham   E-mail Graham   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I was right about the 707 at least, looks like my information heard or read an expanded version based on this, as related to me it was a regular commercial flight rather than a training operation.

Without a source it's looking more likely that this is bogus.

kanazawa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Link works for me--it opens a PDF.

I went to www.ntsv.gov, went to the aircraft investigations and searched for "flashback".

Relevant bits from the link I posted previously:

"THE PILOT WAS ON APPROACH TO LANDING FROM THE SOUTH AT ABOUT 2,000 YARDS FROM HIS PAD. SPEED WAS ABOUT 65 KNOTS AND WAS ABOUT 500 FEET
FROM THE GROUND WHEN THE PILOT SAID HE HAD A FLASHBACK AND DOESN'T REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED, THE HELICOPTER ROLLED OVER WHILE LANDING AND
WAS SUBSTANTIALLY DAMAGED."

This happened on 3/24/1988, and the pilot's age was 49, so that puts him about the right age to have served in Vietnam. Though it gives his total time in all aircraft as 312 hours, so doubt he was a combat pilot.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa

I searched for all incidents involving Boeing 707s from 1962 to present (nothing before that in the database). There were only 10 records, so I looked through them all, and nothing remotely like this.

Slight hijack, but one of the 10 involved Air Force One. Hard to read but here it is:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001213X26991&key=2

Bigger hijack...the last entry was just creepy. I'll fix up the formatting some:

This incident occurred when there was no intent to fly. On 3-8-82, a Boeing 707-131, owned and operated by TWA, was receiving routine maintenance in Las Vegas, NV. During the check, the servicing valve on the forward water tank would not open. A TWA mechanic entered the forward electronics bay to check the valve control mechanism while the lead mechanic operated the valve from outside. The valve operated normally and the lead mechanic yelled "it's ok".

A short time later, another mechanic looked in the compartment, did not see anyone and secured the hatch. The mechanic's absence was not noted until the next day. On 3-9-82, the airplane flew to St. Louis, Mo where the mechanics body was discovered after search was initiated by the Las Vegas station manager. An autopsy revealed that the mechanic was electrocuted when he came in contact with several 115 volt relays in the electronics compartment. Injuries found during autopsy indicate that the mechanic slipped and struck his head and fell on the relays.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20020917X02477&key=1

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:...all of a sudden the plane does some fairly violent manoeuvers throwing everyone who's not wearing a seatbelt around.
Like this? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages