snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » More dischargeable offenses (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More dischargeable offenses
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A friend in the Military told me a Dishonorable discharge given
when a soldier ruins a 21 gun salute; is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Southernap
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southernap     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No. You will catch all sorts of heck from your chain of command but not a dishonorable discharge. I have seen folks who mistakely raise the colors wrong get a verbal repremand and recieve as punishment to preform morning and evening colors for a defined period of time. The same is true of smaller gun salutes, I personally missed my cue for a 7 gun salute during a burial at sea and was then assigned to preform the next 15 burials after which both my division officer and chief were satisfied that I had learned to pay attention to what was going on during cermonial drills.
Posts: 23 | From: Oak Harbor, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think comments like this are misunderstandings of the two infamous "catch alls" in the UCMJ, Article 133 (Conduct unbecoming an Officer and a gentleman) and Article 134 (Conduct that has the ability to "cause disorder and neglect to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, or conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.")

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think every guy here knows that mishandling your weapon can lead to early discharge.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
I think every guy here knows that mishandling your weapon can lead to early discharge.

[Big Grin]

Uh, how'd they teach it in Basic? 'This is my weapon, this is my gun, mishandle either and ruin the fun.'

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about missing a cue during a 21 gun salute, but one of my kids put a round into the clearing barrel a few days ago. And now it's article 15 time for him.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How many people in the area needed to change their undies?? The only thing worse than having an unintentional discharge is being NEXT to someone that has an unintentional discharge!! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
How many people in the area needed to change their undies?? The only thing worse than having an unintentional discharge is being NEXT to someone that has an unintentional discharge!! [lol]

Are you implying that witnessing an unintentional discharge can cause an uninentional discharge?

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The strangest compliment I've received recently was from someone on a 9mm course with me. He said that he enjoyed the course because, unlike when he did his Steyr course, he knew nobody was going to accidentally shoot him. Being able to trust the people on the range with you helps make the experience a lot less stressful.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but one of my kids put a round into the clearing barrel a few days ago
Dumbass. He should have the rules of safe weapons handling tatooed on his forehead.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Weekend before last I actually witnessed a young E-4 firing an M9 sideways like he's in a goddamn 50 Cent video while doing his 9mm quals.

Some ancient Gunners Mate Senior Chief who looked so salty he was probably jerked put a stop to it before I could say anything.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
Weekend before last I actually witnessed a young E-4 firing an M9 sideways like he's in a goddamn 50 Cent video while doing his 9mm quals.

Some ancient Gunners Mate Senior Chief who looked so salty he was probably jerked put a stop to it before I could say anything.

I would've paid money to see something like that.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG--and 9mms have a girly trigger pull, too. How the hell do you sight like that?
[Eek!]

00--Glock 17 user--Saleen

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
but one of my kids put a round into the clearing barrel a few days ago
Dumbass. He should have the rules of safe weapons handling tatooed on his forehead.
He almost did. In the counseling immediately following the event I asked him to recite the procedure to clear his weapon. He knew it backward and forward. But on a hot day, knowing air conditioning, a cold drink, and a chance to take off his body armor were coming he hurried the procedure, missed a step, and kabang.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen:
OMG--and 9mms have a girly trigger pull, too. How the hell do you sight like that?
[Eek!]

00--Glock 17 user--Saleen

I suppose I should admit that one time on a civilian shooting range while firing a few rounds off on my personally owned weapon (A Beretta 92C 9mm) I, out of pure curiosity more then anything else, fired off a couple of rounds in a sideways grip.

I honestly don't understand what the "thugs" see in it. I'm a fairly decent shot, and have had training in two handed, strong hand, and weak hand firing and I've got to tell you would not have to be afraid of me holding a handgun sideways from more then a few yards away. I can't imagine some street punk being able to hit ground if he fired at it in that grip.

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
I can't imagine some street punk being able to hit ground if he fired at it in that grip.

Ground? No. Innocent bystanders? Yes. [Frown]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I realize this is compltely OT, but can someone explain to me why the military changed from the .45 caliber pistol to the 9mm weapon?

I'll give you a little background on why the .45 became the standard. During the Philipine Insurrection (1899 - 1913), the U.S. Army's standard sidearm was a .38 caliber revolver. It was discovered that a man could be hit six times by .38 slugs and keep on coming. As a result, the Army changed to the largest pistol round available, the .45 caliber.

I realize that there's been some improvement in powders, but I fail to believe that a modern day 9mm (essentially a .38 caliber) bullet is as much a manstopper as the almost hundred year old .45 caliber ACP.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

NATO Standardization.

However you will be happy to know that the M9 is being "supplemented" (The military has been careful so far not to use the term "replaced") by the proposed Joint Combat Pistol, chambered for the .45.

The Pistol is scheduled to enter service sometime in 2009. Potential manufactors include H&K, Glock, Sig, and Smith and Wesson.

--------------------

Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, that makes sense. The rest of NATO converted to the 5.56mm rifle vice the 7.62mm and the U.S. converted to the 9mm pistol. Smaller cartridges are cheaper.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Curmudgeon personality spontaneously takes control . . .]

Well, yes, the .45 ACP was adopted in response to the Moros, in their drug induced state, being able to temporarily withstand multiple hits from a .38 cal service revolver. However, the Ordnance Board did not simply accept the largest pistol round around. Among the rounds tested - and rejected - were the .476 Eley and the .455 Man-Stopper.

Now, that isn't merely meant as a nit-pick. The point is, bullet selection is a series of trade-offs, and stopping power, while important, is not the single criteria. As applies today, is it realistic to use, as your stopping power standard, the drug induced state of a turn-of-the-century jungle warrior? I'd say it is not, therefore the .45, while comforting to some, is essentially overkill.

Now, let's look at the normal employment of the standard pistol. It is either the back-up weapon for someone who has a larger weapon to man (say a crew served machinegun) or the primary weapon of someone not normally expected to personally trade shots with the enemy (perhaps a staff weenie). Remember the old saying about how embarassing it is to bring a knife to a gunfight? Well, being caught holding a pistol in a rifle/machinegun fight is pretty much the same thing.

Given this, the judgment call decision was to go for more bullets in the magazine rather than retain a degree of excessive stopping power justified by circumstances long outdated. And I think it was a good call. In a close up pistol fight, people are so scared that - depsite the close ranges - they miss far more often than they hit. So the trade-off for more rounds in the magazine (7 for the .45 vs. 15 for the 9mm) is well worth it, in my opinion. The image of the cool pistolero calmly picking off his foe with a few expert shots ain't what close and dirty combat is all about.

Now I've listened to a LOT of guys tell me that the 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power. The first question I always ask is, how often do real live, close range, do-or-die engagements with pistols take place? The answer is virtually never. Of those few cases, how many times did good, solid 9mm hits fail to stop the bad guy. The answer again, is virtually never. Becasue of a personal interest, I've looked into a few cases of these allegations, and the result has always been the same. The kid thought he pumped 10-15 rounds into the guy, but there were only 1 or two soldi hits. My opinion, marksmanship is the problem, not caliber.

Are there cases when a solid hit by a 9mm didn't bring a guy down? Yes. I can think of one off the top of my head. I can also think of several in which a 5.56mm didn't do the job. You simply can't field weapons on the criterion of Ph=Pk.

Anyhow, it's my considered, crusty, contrarian view that the 9mm vs. .45 debate is the most overblown non-issue of our time. And the fact that most of this debate comes from the crowd who think warriors are defined by their Oakley sunglasses does nothing to lend credence to it.

GI-don't-think-we-should-bring-back-horses-either-Joe

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

quote:
And the fact that most of this debate comes from the crowd who think warriors are defined by their Oakley sunglasses does nothing to lend credence to it.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Don't forget the giant Cassio watch. You're not a REAL warrior unless you wear a watch the size of a salad bowl.

--------------------

GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:

Don't forget the giant Cassio watch. You're not a REAL warrior unless you wear a watch the size of a salad bowl.

Good point! [Turns and looks over shoulder.] And isn't my Casio G-Shock Wave Ceptor Solar Atomic Watch [flourishes wrist] just the PERFECT accessory to my skin tight UDT shorts [clenches butt cheeks]? Well, dude, I see by my Casio G-Shock Wave Ceptor Solar Atomic Watch [flourishes wrist - again] that it's time to train, so, like, get your long board dude, and let's hit the surf!

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

DesertRat

You've been around SEALs (Sleep, Eat And Lift) for too long. [Big Grin]

--------------------

GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

You mean [pauses, turns best profile to the ever-present History Channel camera crew] the Quiet Professionals? Why, yes. Yes I have. Here, I've written 87 books about my secret life. I'll sign a copy of the first one for you. I call it, 'Dark Waters, Deep Bulls##t.'

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

DesertRat

What terrifies me is that the same brand of Richard Marchinko rock star bullshit has been slowly infecting the Force Recon community for some time, and seems to be already be growing expontentially in the newly-established MarSOC as well. (And don't get me started on what a spectcularly bad idea THAT was...)

--------------------

GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Yeah, well, there's enough there for a few dozen other threads. And a few cases of PBR.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole idea of "wopping power" seems to smack too much of the dirty harry image of shooting a man through a window simply because of the momentum of the bullet. You stop a man by shooting him in the right place, not by increasing the momentum of the pistol bullet by some miniscule amount.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem, ASL, with putting a bullet in the right place, is that if the target is made up primarily of PCP or hashish (or another mind altering substance), if you don't STOP them, they keep coming... and coming... like Peter North or the Energizer Bunny.

Personally, for law enforcement purposes, I much prefer the .45 over the 9mm. A 9mm is quite likely to punch through a target... bad idea in potentially crowded areas. (Note to all: collateral damage=baaaaaad!!) Also, the psychological impact of the huge WHOOOM of a .45 is much more satisfactory than the *POP* of the 9mm for any survivors and the never ending quest to get them to give up freely.

However, outside of drug-enhanced bad guys and psychological impact - this IS a stupid argument.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Malruhn,

Thanks for adding that much needed perspective. The guys in blue face a much different daily 'enemy', and the pistol is their primary weapon (not intending to start any arguments over use of less lethal force first). Different environment calls for different tools. All the law enforcement types in my county seem to have gone to the 10mm or larger.

GI-coulda-swore-I-was-only-going-65-Joe

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 203 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
[Curmudgeon personality spontaneously takes control . . .]
Are there cases when a solid hit by a 9mm didn't bring a guy down? Yes. I can think of one off the top of my head. I can also think of several in which a 5.56mm didn't do the job.

Very good point, and something that is insanely difficult to get people to believe, especially "gun" people that already know everything there is to know.

quote:

Anyhow, it's my considered, crusty, contrarian view that the 9mm vs. .45 debate is the most overblown non-issue of our time.
GI-don't-think-we-should-bring-back-horses-either-Joe

Well, unless you consider the "Weaver vs. Isosceles" argument. If that doesn't out rank it, it comes in a close second, IMO. [Wink]

Joe, you should check out my web page:

http://www.rrmemphis.com/opinions.html

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 208 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
[snip] they keep coming... and coming... like Peter North [snip]

Excellent similie!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
Well, unless you consider the "Weaver vs. Isosceles" argument. If that doesn't out rank it, it comes in a close second, IMO. [Wink]

Hey, there is no debate. I use the Modified, Modern, Refined Weaver Variation 3(f) with a pike and a half gainer. It rules! Well, except maybe in a real gunfight . . .

quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
Joe, you should check out my web page:

http://www.rrmemphis.com/opinions.html

I have. It's excellent, by the way.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GI Joe:
Hey, there is no debate. I use the Modified, Modern, Refined Weaver Variation 3(f) with a pike and a half gainer. It rules! Well, except maybe in a real gunfight . . .

You should try it with the full gainer sometime. It makes all the difference in the world!

quote:
I have. It's excellent, by the way.

Thanks!

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: While I was in basic training for the army, we had a few soldiers
quit and go home. The most common method was to say that you were
suicidal, and after talking with a chaplain, you were processed out.

I heard that a simpler, faster way was to wet the bed. The idea is that
since you will be spending a lot of time sleeping outdoors, wetting the
bed causes a huge health and hygene problem and will get you out. Any
truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxGunnar   E-mail MaxGunnar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In 1977 it did, that, and the chronic masterbater
Posts: 283 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages