snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Kill a kitten, become a Seal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kill a kitten, become a Seal
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In training, Do US Navy Seals really have to raise a kitten and
eventually kill it? I guess this is supposed to turn them into
cold-blooded killing machines...?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nazis, Navy Seals, all the cool kids are doing it. Not to mention all the kittens killed from common household masturbation.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NovaSS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes it true, but first they have to raise them in little square jars.
Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that was all you had to do, I would have volunteered myself!

But my first thought was:

"Kill an aardvark, become an emu!"

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Over here, I heard it was a chicken or a rabbit that then had to be killed and eaten.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen documentaries where marines had to kill rabbits when on survival training and then eat the rabbit.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard tell of survival training where the participants spent a week carrying the rabbit or chicken around with them and caring for it, only to have to kill it on the last day and eat it. I took it with a pinch of salt as it seemed very impractical to me to tote a probably unwilling animal around with you.

On Bad Lads Army (the Officer version), the lads were on a cross-country run and were shown how a rabbit was killed. The rabbit had myxy and was in distress so the trainer put it out of its misery with a neck break. The lads then made a grave for it (probably for the sake of the TV cameras). The business of the grave shows how we anthropomorphise animals.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
World champion boxer Kostya Tsyu relates a similar story in his autobiography. He was at a national training camp when he was 16 and had to tend the chickens. (That is not a euphemism)

At the end of the camp, he had to kill all the chickens for everyones dinner.

He went on to be possibly the greatest pound-for-pound fighter ever, so it may work.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A kitten, huh?

I was told by an Iraqi man (who very much believed it) that American Marines had to kill a member of their own family in order to complete their training. You'd think the Navy Seals would outdo that. Frankly, I'm disappointed.

Killing kittens just doesn't have the dehumanizing effect that it used to.

--------------------
Bediffled: adj. to be in such a state of confusion that you are unable to remember any real words that mean: to be in a state of confusion. bediffle, bedifflement, bediffling

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So to become a SEAL, he has to kill a member of a Marine's family?? [lol]

Sorry, it had to be said!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 209 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody else think of this?

from "Three Kings":

quote:

Gates: Any questions?
Vig: Yeah, is it true to be special forces, you gotta cut off an enemy's ear?
Gates[to Troy Barlow]; Are you able to control him?

It seems pretty obvious that killing and eating a snake, rabbit, or chicken during survival training is a hell of a lot different than raising and killing a kitten. And besides, if you actually did raise it, it wouldn't really be a kitten any more, now would it? Honestly....

Ali "Armed Farces" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hehe well I can see the point of killing a snake or a rabbit on Survival Training.. It is *Survival Training* after all, the point from the title seems to be to learn to survive in the wilderness, Dunno about other countries but I know here you can certainly keep yourself fed off rabbits. Perhaps a better way would be to raise a male & female, let them ermm go like rabbits and soon you'll have a banquet [Wink]
Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do know that killing and eating a rabbit is part of the US military's SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) school.

It's designed for pilots and special forces types who are most at risk for being cut off from the main body of US forces and captured. It includes a mock POW camp complete with interrogators and torturers. (FYI: Not sure if the "must sign a waiver to have one small bone broken during interrogation" is true about SERE)

Anyways, everyone I've talked to says the instruction part of the course includes a class on how to eat a rabbit in the field, and get every last bit of nourishment from it, including eating the bone marrow and eyeballs.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar legend (different characters) in another thread:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/36/t/000745.html

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how tough it makes them? Farmers do it all the time. Care for and raise something and then kill and eat it.
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matt H.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt H.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg of Winter:
It includes a mock POW camp complete with interrogators and torturers. (FYI: Not sure if the "must sign a waiver to have one small bone broken during interrogation" is true about SERE)

Nope.

--------------------
"Who needs the Bible? I've got this magic 8-ball."

Posts: 354 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt H.:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg of Winter:
It includes a mock POW camp complete with interrogators and torturers. (FYI: Not sure if the "must sign a waiver to have one small bone broken during interrogation" is true about SERE)

Nope.
That's right, you actually have to sign a waiver to have either a finger or toe severed with a pair of tin snips.

Right? *nudge* *wink*

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has nothing to do with 'making them into a killing machine', and why in the heck would they use a cat/kitten?

SEALs are mentally programed to kill in an instant, without hesitation if the situation arises from the earliest stages of training.

And personally, I think every one should have have survival training that would include how to catch, kill, eat and use all of an animal.

. . . and a kitten would hardly be worth the time and trouble. Good grief.

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Im reading a book now about soldiers trained from birth who are given a puppy to raise. After a year they have to kill the puppy. Sounds like a UL to me.
Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
7thWheel, are you going to keep us in suspense or do we get to know the name and author of the book? [Smile]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages