snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Military » Kuwait offered reward to U.S. troops after 1991 Gulf War?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kuwait offered reward to U.S. troops after 1991 Gulf War?
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was chatting with a 1991 Gulf War veteran buddy of mine, and he said something about how President George H.W. Bush pissed off a lot of the troops by blocking a plan by the Kuwaiti government to cut a check to every U.S. (I assume this plan would include the other coalition nations) soldier who served in Operation Desert Shield/Storm.

Supposedly, Bush's reasoning was that "American soldiers are not mercenaries."

I do know many oil-rich nations give each of their citizens a dividend of their oil profits (even Alaska does something similar), so it sounded plausible, but I was looking for confirmation.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the same thing, but was starting on the Great Journey that would eventually lead me to snopes... I figured it was an urban legend.

Woulda been nice to get a check, but I figured it was a lie. Oh well!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the same rumor, but never as anything more than just barracks bullNFBSKing.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"American soldiers are not mercenaries."

Sounds like rubbish. If your a movie nut, you'd see that soldiers that have been burned out of the military sometimes become mercs. Least when it's all about the money it is. (IE: 'The Rock', 'The Substitute')

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, JZ, but active duty soldiers can NOT be mercs, and the act of a foreign government giving our soldiers money for doing their job would give the effect of making us SEEM like mercenaries. And of course, perception IS reality...

And, please don't forget that those are movies and do not necessarily indicate the truth.

I still don't think it was real.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"active duty soldiers can NOT be mercs"

Yeah I know they can't. That's why I pointed out that "soldiers that have been burned out of the military" become mercs down the road. Like "The Substitute" when the substitute character and his pals went merc when they heard the news that their failed assassination was denied truth or covered up.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And we all know that Jerry Bruckheimer movies are the unvarnished truth.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is true, I agree with the decision.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The term mercenary NOT a well received moniker anymore. Friends and acquaintences employed by various PMCs (professional military companies) never refer to themselves as mercenaries. The field is much more nuanced than is commonly understood.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Turquoise Guy was in GW1 and heard the same thing. I think the amount was something like $5000.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GI Joe
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GI Joe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder:
The term mercenary NOT a well received moniker anymore. Friends and acquaintences employed by various PMCs (professional military companies) never refer to themselves as mercenaries. The field is much more nuanced than is commonly understood.

Very true. PMCs are a whole 'nuther animal. The term mercenary has been tossed around so loosely that we often forget that there is a real meaning, and one with significant legal consequences.

Citing the Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions(GC) of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I), 8 June 1977. It states:

"Art 47. Mercenaries

"A mercenary is any person who:
":(a) is specially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;
":(b) does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;
":(c) is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party;
":(d) is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;
":(e) is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and
":(f) has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces."

While many countries - to include the US - have not signed the 1977 Protocol, it stands as the most commonly agreed upon definition of mercenary. The flip side of this Protocol is that
any prisoner found to be a mercenary by a competent tribunal forfeits all protections under the Geneva convention and may be treated as a criminal.

PMC employees clearly do not fall into the mercenary category.

The rumored post-war Kuwaiti offer of a bonus to US troops would not have put those troops in the technical mercenary category, but it sure would have been bad public relations.

--------------------
Once a Warrior Prince

Posts: 496 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simon
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I am a Gulf War Vet and I know this to be true. Prior to us leaving the King of Saudi Arabia offered to give every solider that helped in Desert Storm $5000 each. bush said that the US were not mercenarys and declinded the money but allowed Saudi Arabia to produce the campain medal. This medal is made of Gold and is worth quite a bit of money. I believe that every other nation involved accepted the offer.

Simon

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also a Gulf War Vet, and do NOT know this to be true. It was certainly told often and as truth in 1991, but I have never seen or heard anything that could confirm it. Everyone believed it and retold it, but that doesn't make it true.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the Saudi "Kuwait Liberation Medal":

Perhaps the originals were "made of gold" (or perhaps not), but the ones currently at the exchange are most certainly not. They cost $14 each-- more than the average medal, yes, but certainly not worth their weight in gold.

At the most, the newly manufactured ones may be gold-plated, though I'm not really sure. They ARE more expensive than the avrage dangly-shiny.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
temato
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the same thing from friends of mine that served in the gulf and don't doubt the validity of what they say but also can't find a single reference to this (GIS)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages