snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » Mosquito teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mosquito teeth
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be more of a rant. I just couldn't believe it when this one came up. If you go to the Askmen website for Saturday (today) the fact of the day tells you that mosquitos have 47 teeth. Now, normally I take their "facts" with a grain of salt, as I've seen some obvious ones (the duck echo) but I've never bothered to call them on it.
However, having just completed a university course in entomology, I checked my notes and my textbook. If any entomologist has found teeth (not mouthparts, but enamel-covered teeth) I would be VERY surprised and wondering WHY this was not mentioned in any paper I've read, journal I've seen, or class I've taken. I could see on some of the jaw mandibles, the bumps and ridges calling them "teeth" however horribly wrong it may be, but on a MOSQUITO? They have a long sharp tube, and that's it. There's no biting, chewing, anything that requires teeth. It's BLOOD!(or fruit juice).
I sent them a quick email (probably quicker than I should have) and now I have to go talk to my professor and tell him that he's been shown up by a lad's-mag website.

Cheerio [flame]

ETA: Hit the "Submit" button halfway through.

Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site says it comes from "The Book Of Facts" by Isaac Asimov.

USA Today states that mosquitos have four sets of serrated teeth.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages