snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » Why Nine Minutes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Nine Minutes?
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been using various types of alarm clocks for several decades, and have often wondered why the nine-minute interval was chosen for the time their snooze button delayed the next alarm.

I've found the nine minutes to be the same for my cell phone's alarm, for digital clock radios and non-digital clock radios. It would seem likely that, with the ubiquity of digital technology and customization, there would be several models whose snooze settings could be shortened or delayed based on user settings.

Does anyone else have knowledge of or experience with alarms with a different snooze delay? Admittedly, my personal experience may be limited [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine can be adjusted between 10 & 15 minutes

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With mine you can set how long you want the snooze to be. Anything between 1 minute and 30 minutes. I set it to 10, because that whole 9 minute thing has always bothered me (why not 10?). Anyway, it's a GE "Digital Clock and Wake Set" (model # 7-4837C). You can also chose if you want to wake up to the alarm or radio and it starts off very quiet and gradually gets louder. That way you wake up at the softest noise that will wake you up. It's better for you to wake up gradually instead of having the crap scared out of you every morning.
Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have a Magnvox clock radio that had a 7.5 minute snooze. Pretty handy - every two slaps was a quarter-hour.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is partly because we play such elaborate games with ourselves regarding getting up for work. Many of us set our clocks somewhere around 20 minutes ahead, but often not exactly 20...more like 18. Which doesn't really make sense because internally we always make the adjustment, and thus hit the snooze heh. I have a very old clock that has ten minute snooze, but is also adjustable. I don't know if we sort of ended up generally setting the clock 18 minutes ahead to allow two standard snoozes or if the snoozes developed because so many people don't set the clock a full 20 ahead. Either way I can see the psychology behind not using a full 10 minutes but I can't seem to find words to explain it.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
9 minutes to snooze and 1 minute to pick up the pieces of the alarm clock after you smash it against the wall.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
9 minutes to snooze and 1 minute to pick up the pieces of the alarm clock after you smash it against the wall.

If you do it the other way around it works better; then you can sleep all morning [Embarrassed]

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was the result of using a three-bit counter to keep track of the elapsed time.

The rest of the clock works on Binary Coded Decimal (BCD), but that is more complicated and therefore more expensive to implement, so it might not be worthwhile for something which only needs to count ten minutes. Using a four-bit register would make the snooze period 17 minutes, which would probably be too long and result in missed morning appointments.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
I always thought it was the result of using a three-bit counter to keep track of the elapsed time.

The rest of the clock works on Binary Coded Decimal (BCD), but that is more complicated and therefore more expensive to implement, so it might not be worthwhile for something which only needs to count ten minutes. Using a four-bit register would make the snooze period 17 minutes, which would probably be too long and result in missed morning appointments.

3 bits = 8? Four bits = 16? Where does the extra minute come from?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
111 = snooze button pressed, count starts,
000 = 1 minute elapsed,
001 = 2 minutes elapsed,
010 = 3 minutes elapsed,
011 = 4 minutes elapsed,
100 = 5 minutes elapsed,
101 = 6 minutes elapsed,
110 = 7 minutes elapsed,
111 = 8 minutes elapsed,
000 = 9 minutes elapsed, reset and alarm goes off.

ETA: you would require a couple of extra gates to latch one of the MSB 1s and AND it with the counter ouput to avoid having the alarm go off at one minute, but that's still less hardware involved than implementing BCD.

--------------------

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? I don't get it.

000 equals both 1 minute elapsed and 9 minutes elapsed? 111 equals both snooze button pressed and 8 minutes elapsed? [Confused]

I must be missing something here.

ETA: Saw the edit...gotcha.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

The counter is set to 111 when the button is pressed. The fact that 111 is also used to indicate 8 minutes doesn't matter if you can latch one of the MSBs to differentiate between 111 as a reset and 111 as an 8. A latch requires 2 gates, an AND requires 1 gate. That's one counter and three gates in total.

ETA: Now that I think about it, using a four-bit counter would work just as well. I tend to think of BCD as hardware intensive because it is when you're performing operations with it. If you're just counting it shouldn't be any worse than my suggested three-bit counter with add-ons.
Sorry guys. [dunce]

--------------------

DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
(8) On a digital clock, nine is the greatest interval obtainable by advancing some sort of "snooze counter" on the ones column. But why mess with the ones column? Why not put the snooze counter on the tens column and advance that by one?

Because if the ten were the trigger it would be incosistent.

E.g. if you set your alarm clock for 7:15 you would only get up to 5 minutes snooze for the first time, but interval of ten after that.

But when its the one digits its always up to 9 minutes no matter what time the clock was set for.

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've worked out why I was going with an 3-bit counter. My alarm clock has an 8 minute snooze. At some point in the past I had thought about it and worked out that all it needed was a 3-bit counter. I then got carried away with trying to fit that "known fact" into this discussion of the more normal 9 minute timeframe without actually realising that my clock is unusual and that 8≠9.
Excuse me for a moment... [fish] [fish] [fish] [dunce]

Ok, all better now. If anyone wants me I'll be in the How do these people survive? thread.

--------------------

Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
...without actually realising that my clock is unusual and that 8≠9.
Excuse me for a moment... [fish] [fish] [fish] [dunce]

Don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe your clock uses an unusually large value of 8? [Wink]

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think a better idea is to smash the clock and sleep until you awaken naturally, it's more peaceful that way.

Unless the cat decides she wants to play in which case 'awakening naturally' involves a small paw gradually extending needle sharp daggers as it kneads sensitive skin. Cats need snooze bars!

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aptenodytes_Forsteriis:
I still think a better idea is to smash the clock and sleep until you awaken naturally, it's more peaceful that way.

Unless the cat decides she wants to play in which case 'awakening naturally' involves a small paw gradually extending needle sharp daggers as it kneads sensitive skin. Cats need snooze bars!

Funny you should say that my cat won't let my wife use more than 2 snoozes. After that she will pummel till my wife gets up. (Never does that to me as am sick so don't need to go to work).

--------------------

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spindely Fingers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindely Fingers   E-mail Spindely Fingers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My (digital) alarm's four minutes.

--------------------
Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. ...
What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.
And all music is. -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 55 | From: Salisbury, NC/Bridgewater, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Funny you should say that my cat won't let my wife use more than 2 snoozes. After that she will pummel till my wife gets up. (Never does that to me as am sick so don't need to go to work). [/QB]

How can I train one of my cats to do that to SO? He is capable of sleeping *through* the snooze. I have to wake him up and tell him to hit the snooze button. I end up being his alarm most of the time.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Raven Waift:
How can I train one of my cats to do that to SO? He is capable of sleeping *through* the snooze. I have to wake him up and tell him to hit the snooze button. I end up being his alarm most of the time.

I think my cat has figured out that the snooze keeps going off till my wife gets up so to get a little peace the cat decides to help things along.

--------------------

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
111 = snooze button pressed, count starts,
000 = 1 minute elapsed,
001 = 2 minutes elapsed,
010 = 3 minutes elapsed,
011 = 4 minutes elapsed,
100 = 5 minutes elapsed,
101 = 6 minutes elapsed,
110 = 7 minutes elapsed,
111 = 8 minutes elapsed,
000 = 9 minutes elapsed, reset and alarm goes off.

ETA: you would require a couple of extra gates to latch one of the MSB 1s and AND it with the counter ouput to avoid having the alarm go off at one minute, but that's still less hardware involved than implementing BCD.

I have a simpler explanation. It waits for the last minute digit to go to one less than it is now (rolling over at 0). Why one less? Because then you don't have to use logic to check if it's still the minute in which the button was pressed.

Example:

Button is pressed at 7.03, the last digit is 3, so the clock waits until it's 2, to avoid having to differentiate between 7.03 and 7.13.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That algorithm almost works, Troberg except, I think, it results in times of 8 to 9 minutes. When the snooze button is pushed, record the righthand minute digit. When you reach the same digit, sound the alarm. The result will be times between 9 and 10 minutes. Easy to implement in decimal anyway.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My snooze button lasts seven minutes, and I'm sure I've had more than one clock like that - I always thought that was the standard...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always wondered why it's called a 'snooze' button, surely 'denial' button would be better [lol]

My alarm clock is in pieces right now - there I was this morning, lucid dreaming, Christina Ricci adhering to my every sordid whim, then the claxon went off! >smashie!<

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tequila Mockingbird
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tequila Mockingbird   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tequila Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like alarm clocks because they scare me. I'd rather be tapped on the shoulder or shaken awake than thinking there's a fire every morning (my alarm clock sounded like my smoke detector). I just knew that one day I'd sleep through it and wake up in the middle of a fire.

I guess getting a radio alarm clock would have been the logical plan...

--------------------
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face."
I said, "You'll be sorry."
He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?"
I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well"

Posts: 49 | From: Teesside, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That algorithm almost works, Troberg except, I think, it results in times of 8 to 9 minutes. When the snooze button is pushed, record the righthand minute digit. When you reach the same digit, sound the alarm. The result will be times between 9 and 10 minutes. Easy to implement in decimal anyway.
It may, as you say, vary between 8-9 minutes, provided they don't check seconds, in which case it would be more exact.

To just record the right hand minute digit and wait for it to appear does not work. Why? Because it will appear for up to a minute after the button is pushed. Say it's pushed at 7.03.34. In that case, the minute will remain 3 for another 26 seconds. Of course, the seconds can also be checked, but it's simpler to just wait a minute less.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My clock radio starts at 9 minutes after the first push of the snooze, and then 8 minutes after the next one, and then 7, and so on until there is only 1 minute between each press - until the next full hour then it doesn't go off at all.

followed by 14 more one minute hits until the hour.

Yeah - apparently my clock is far from the norm.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aptenodytes_Forsteriis:
Cats need snooze bars!

You're just not hitting it hard enough.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages