snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » Yet another "True or False?" list of trivia (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet another "True or False?" list of trivia
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you guess which of the following are true and which are false?

1. Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button.

3. A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

4. People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.

5. When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop, even your heart!

6. Only 7 per cent of the population are lefties.

7. Forty people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.

8. Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.

9. The average person over 50 will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.

10. The toothbrush was invented in 1498.

11. The average housefly lives for one month.

12. 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year..

13. A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.

14. The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.

15. Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than any other time of day.

16. Most of us have eaten a spider in our sleep.

17. The REAL reason ostriches stick their head in the sand is to search for water.

18. The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.

19. John Travolta turned down the starring roles in "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Tootsie."

20. Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South Carolina State anthem.

21. In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.

22. Prince Charles and Prince William NEVER travel on the same airplane, just in case there is a crash.

23. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.

24. Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. They are used in vein transplant surgery.

25. Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. They were 7th cousins.

26. If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.

Answers below...

They are all TRUE....Now go back and think about #16!!!

While I could find some of these dubunked on Snopes (the aforementioned '#16'), there were some that I couldn't find a reference to.(E.G.: Coca-Cola being green if colour wasn't added-I found this
but it's to do with the myth that it USED to be green.

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
#8: Babies are born without kneecaps: False.

Babies are born with kneecaps, but they are cartilaginous and harden with age. See http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may97/861940964.An.r.html

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2. Since Alfred Hitchcock was not Adam, he must have at least been born with a belly-button.

6. Here's an article that claims the percent of lefties varies from 4.9 to 15 percent of the population.

4. is true.

21. I always heard it was Elmer's Glue-All because the milk a) wasn't opaque enough and 2) wouldn't stick to the lip.

17. Here we have a statement about the real reason birds do something there is no proof they do. Of course it must, therefore, be true. [Big Grin]

10. The modern toothbrush was 1938, but the idea's been around since 3000 bc, according to this.

I'm sure there are others that are easily challenged (not necessarily easy to disprove, just to challenge--which IMO implies they are not true).

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You are actually not born with a belly button though. You have to have your umbilical cord to fall off and have the button scar form. If he had abdominal surgery close to his birth it is possible that he doesn't have a chance for a belly button to form.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nolly:

18. The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.

22. Prince Charles and Prince William NEVER travel on the same airplane, just in case there is a crash.

18. What about an owl? I thought that whilst the rabbit can see almost behind it, I believe there is a blind area it can't see.

20. Doesn't he also own the rights to the Beatles songs?

21. I don't think they ever travel together if there is a chance of an accident and both might be killed in an accident, terrorist attack, etc. For that reason I don't think Prince Charles and the Queen ever travel together.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Cat Named Easter
Catfish on a Hot Tin Roof

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Cat Named Easter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother doesn't have a belly button. She loves freaking out her grand(and now great-grand)kids with that little fact. Hers was removed during some kind of abdominal surgery though. I don't have all the facts because I could never get a straight story out of her.

--------------------
I am the death that walks the night.
I am the bringer of dreamless sleep.

Posts: 196 | From: Newly relocated to Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
18. What about an owl? I thought that whilst the rabbit can see almost behind it, I believe there is a blind area it can't see.

The key phrase in the original #18 is "without turning its head." I believe owls have to turn their heads.

How far back an animal can see (BTW, do you suppose "animal" in this context includes "fish"?) is dependent on how far to the sides its eyes are.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
2. Since Alfred Hitchcock was not Adam, he must have at least been born with a belly-button.

I have no cites, but the legend is that Hitchcock had abdominal surgery at some point, and his naval was removed. Not completely unfeasible, but I have no proof.

quote:
21. I always heard it was Elmer's Glue-All because the milk a) wasn't opaque enough and 2) wouldn't stick to the lip.
While it's definitely true that they don't use milk, and that they occasionally use glue (usually in still photography), most commercials where the milk is taken into an actor's mouth is not glue-based. It's a mix of either heavy cream or ice cream, milk, and corn starch. The "Got Milk" folks leave out the corn starch, but do use the ice cream and milk combo.
quote:
Aug 5, 1999 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Q: You've mentioned the "milk mustache mixture" before. What is it?

A: Ah, the secret milk mustache recipe. It's fairly easy. Five scoops of vanilla ice cream to a half-cup of whole milk. The more fat, the better. The fat just clings.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right then!

*Rubs hands with glee* (always have a tub of glee around for these posts)

for those not dealt with so far... (and those I have .02 to add)

If someone is throwing them at your face, then yes.

I Strongly doubt that, but it all depends on dental hygene etc doesn't it?

4. People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.

this one should be struck from the list it's too vague. what about hypothermia? frostbite?

Bollocks. (my heart stops about 80 times per minute anyway)

Jolly good. (TIC)

This doesn't make any logical sense to me

17. The REAL reason ostriches stick their head in the sand is to search for water.

Repeat after me Ostriches DO NOT stick their heads in the sand

and most rodents, and spiders, flatfish rays, some jellyfish... shellfish (clams) ghekos (probably) chameleons, house flys, dragonflys damselflys, my mother... the list goes on and on

19. John Travolta turned down the starring roles in "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Tootsie."

Wouldn't he have been too young for Tootsie?

I have a gut feeling that this is not true (currently) But I have certainly seen them leaving a plane together when William was a youngling so that throws that one out into the trash anyway.

23. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this one is correct.

24. Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. They are used in vein transplant surgery.

No they don't

25. Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. They were 7th cousins.

Aren't we all dear?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

waffles, plus I needed to change a word. [Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:

If what is really waking you up is a sugar rush, that may be true. See this.

quote:
Summary of a medical article on the relationship between smoking and tooth loss.

quote:
Here's a post on an anatomy board that says your heart doesn't stop.

quote:
7. Forty people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.
Doesn't look like it, according to Dog Bite Law

quote:
9. The average person over 50 will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.
Statistics site debunking this one.

quote:
11. The average housefly lives for one month.
Wow! This one's true!

quote:
After a quick search on this one, I think we have to decide what being injured by a toilet means...

quote:
14. The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
This site claims it's only 5.

quote:
This shoe buying tip site agrees.

quote:
Well, I don't know about the tomato can, but this site has interesting information about that 1903 date.

Seaboe

--------------------

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think #15 should be struck as false as it implies that your feet will begin contracting again in the evening.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:

and most rodents, and spiders, flatfish rays, some jellyfish... shellfish (clams) ghekos (probably) chameleons, house flys, dragonflys damselflys, my mother... the list goes on and on

Ooh, you forgot the woodcock. 180 degree vision in each eye.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
I think #15 should be struck as false as it implies that your feet will begin contracting again in the evening.

But don't they? After the work day is over and you put them up while you read/watch TV/whatever?

Seaboe

--------------------

Hans Off

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my point exactly, If it can be disproved by example then it should be struck off the list.

For example what about people that work nights?

Like clowns?

--------------------

Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Summary of a medical article on the relationship between smoking and tooth loss.

Very interesting article, Seaboe. My dentist threatened that I would most likely lose all my teeth if I didn't quit smoking. I had this horrible mental image of putting my dentures on the nightstand at age 23 and that was it for me...I've been cigarette free for over 3 months now.
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
my point exactly, If it can be disproved by example then it should be struck off the list.

For example what about people that work nights?

Like clowns?

So if it's not true for some people (those that work nights) it's not true for anyone?

I think that, for the majority of people, their feet are largest in the afternoon. I wasn't able, during the few minutes I spent searching, to find any medical information on the phenomenon. So in the meantime, I'm more inclined to believe it than not.

YMMV

Seaboe

--------------------

timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Seaboe

I read an interview with the makeup guy from the Got Milk? ads who said it was mostly heavy cream. I'll go google it.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Siawasi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siawasi   E-mail Siawasi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazed:
quote:

quote:

Very interesting article, Seaboe. My dentist threatened that I would most likely lose all my teeth if I didn't quit smoking.
Unfortunately, I come from a large family of smokers. The majority of us are past the 30-year mark doing it and we are all over a pack a day. Fortunately, we still have all of our teeth (and they're healthy, too!). Whether it's just good genes or dumb luck, I can't say. Also, our dentists have never raised this particular concern with any of us that I know of.

On a side note - congratulations on being smoke-free for three months!! Awesome job!

--------------------
"All I saw was a thud..."
"Some people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience."

Posts: 81 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
South Carolina has two official state songs, designated as such in 1911 and 1984, according to an official state website: http://www.scstatehouse.net/studentpage/songs.htm

The later one, "South Carolina On My Mind" has a similar title to the famous James Taylor song "Carolina In My Mind." That song was once recorded and released on the Beatles' label Apple Records: http://www.jpgr.co.uk/col_apple32.html (with Paul McCartney on bass!)

Now Michael Jackson does indeed own the rights to a large portion of the Beatles/Apple catalogue, possibly including "Carolina In My Mind," but certainly not " South Carolina On My Mind."

Hooray! I really wanted my first post to be a debunking that no one else had gotten to yet!

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nocturnal Emissions Test
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nocturnal Emissions Test     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I love the most about snopes is that someone can post a statement & within 24 hrs 10 different people will have 10 different arguments as to why that person is wrong!

Long time lurker, 2nd posting!

--------------------
Danielle

Posts: 282 | From: Muggy Chicago | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

#15 could read like this and probably be correct:

"Your feet are bigger *at the end of your work day* than at any other time of day."

#22 is probably correct - various companies and governments have protocols for the number of people in a direct chain of command (or even co-workers) who can be on a plane together. I used to work at Westinghouse and in their 100+ years of existence, the bureaucracy had this in a formal document. For the British Royals, it could simply be that two consecutive people in line for the throne won't travel together. As for Charles and his sons travelling together, that may only be true once his sons are adults and able to take the throne. Before he was married, you didn't see Charles and his brothers flying together.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Right then!

[/b] this one should be struck from the list it's too vague. what about hypothermia? frostbite? [b]

I would classify both of those as "injuries" rather than "illnesses."
Frost bite is an injury caused by exposure to extreme cold, Hypothermia has symtoms similar to a state of shock.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
#22 is almost true. Princess Di caused a controvesery in the 80s by insisting that she travel with both Charles and William on a trip to Australia. Otherwise those in the line to the throne don't travel together (or at least not that close together in the line of succession).

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
4: is only partially true, the more accurate phrase is "you can't get a cold from cold weather", you only get them from going to temperiture extremes (warm to cold).
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought a cold was a virus though? what has temprature got to do with it?

--------------------

ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
True or false;
Scientists and statisticians don't write "trivia" lists.

The problem with "true/false" lists is that they are seldom written by scientists or statisticians. If the statment is phrased to imply an absolute (always, never, is, does, doesn't isn't), the statment is false. Someone said earlier, if it can be disproved by example then it is false.

-P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

rapidly changing temperitures weaken your immune system temporarily and makes you catch diseases you'd otherwise shrug off un-noticably
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Yes... But you still have to be infected by a cold virus so suffer from it.

--------------------

OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
If the statment is phrased to imply an absolute (always, never, is, does, doesn't isn't), the statment is false.

Ironically, your statement is phrased to imply an absolute...

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
quote:

rapidly changing temperitures weaken your immune system temporarily and makes you catch diseases you'd otherwise shrug off un-noticably
Can anyone point me to definitive evidence that rapidly changing temperatures weaken the immune system? I'm not saying I don't think it happens, I just want to know how the "weakening" actually manifests itself.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

for the sake of argument in the above post, if a lowering of temprature reduces your immune system to nil. without infection you will be ok. So statement in the above link is BS however you look at it.

As to lowering of temprature, AFAIK, everyting your body does requires energy (i.e. plenty of warmth) if ou get so cold that your body has to preserve heat for you to survive, then at some point your defense mechanisms (production of white blood cells etc) will be sacrificed in order to keep your vital organs going... therefore immune system fuct.

But I know it is far more complex than that!

Hans "Lies to children" Off

--------------------

ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
If the statment is phrased to imply an absolute (always, never, is, does, doesn't isn't), the statment is false.

Ironically, your statement is phrased to imply an absolute...
But your statement implies a dilemma where there is none. Mine is an elaboration on an item referenced elsewhere in the document or in this case, the previous sentence.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Number 22 is false absolutely. I think it was when the queen mother died and Charles and his sons were in Europe they all flew back together. I remember the comments about it as before that it was true. To prevent all the heirs being wiped out in one go.
Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 96 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I thought that was blinking?

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages