snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » www.greatfacts.com (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: www.greatfacts.com
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 603 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.greatfacts.com/

A page of over 3000 bits of trivia. Feel free to debunk.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these aren't all that amazing, some of them have been previously debunked... and some could be thesaurus or dictionary entries. What really gets me though is the bad wording. These in particular made me go "huh":

quote:
Charlie Brown's dad was a barber.
How is this an amazing fact? Schroeder plays the piano, Linus and Lucy are siblings...and?
quote:
25% of a human's bones are in its feet.
Now... is this politically correct or offensive?
quote:
A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue. i know some people who can do some amazing stuff too.
That second sentence... well, good to know. Do they do the amazing stuff with their tongues? Why isn't that stuff on the list?
quote:
Bananas are actually herbs. Bananas die after fruiting, like all herbs do.
Bananas are America's #1 fruit.

What now?
quote:
Black lemurs are the only primates that can have blue eyes.
...except for humans.
quote:
Dogs can't decifer size. Thats why little dogs are mean.
So... big dogs have a right to be mean? But apparently they're not? Huh?

Now, an attempt at a summary of the site:
1. Some things have two names.
2. Most buildings have architects, most technological achievements were invented. Both generally have a date of construction/invention.
3.Some places have strange laws.

Am I just not sufficiently amazeable, or is it really as boring as I think it is?

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you are being "Fickleheaded". Fiddledeedee!

Check it out, I used two words that are the longest to have only letters from the first half of the alphabet...

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 05 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about thier claim of 3000 bits of trivia. In the first few pages, I saw about a half dozen duplicates.

Ken

Posts: 140 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look! Another bit of trivia!! Let's see... that makes 3001!

Oh, and look, in the first few pages of the book there are round six duplicates. That would be another one - so its 3002!!!!!one!!!!!111!

I HATE it when books do that!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the "facts" are contradictory:

quote:
Babe Ruth kept a lettuce leaf under his hat to keep cool during a game.
quote:
Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his hat while playng baseball, and he used to change it every two innings.
Or did Ruth keep both a lettuce leaf and a cabbage leaf under his hat, but only changed the cabbage leaf?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dookie_booty
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 23 posted      Profile for dookie_booty   E-mail dookie_booty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
Some of the "facts" are contradictory:

quote:
Babe Ruth kept a lettuce leaf under his hat to keep cool during a game.
quote:
Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his hat while playng baseball, and he used to change it every two innings.
Or did Ruth keep both a lettuce leaf and a cabbage leaf under his hat, but only changed the cabbage leaf?

Somehow I'm craving a salad right about now. Wonder why. [Razz]

--------------------
Don't blame me, my evil monkey did it.
-----------------
Just remember, When everything seems difficult, I'll be shining from a far, When it feels like things have gone away, I'll see you again.

Posts: 130 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sherlock Holmes NEVER said "Elementary, my dear Watson",
Dr Watson NEVER said "No shit, Sherlock"

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The (Puntrue) Percula
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The (Puntrue) Percula   E-mail The (Puntrue) Percula   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I know where my agenda books get their "Offbeat oddities" crap. Every page... filled with stuff like this. Much of it exact copy, paste off this site (or perhaps the other way around). This week's page:

"McDonald's Hamburgers were made with worm meat until the late 1900s."

Werre they even AROUND in the early 1900s?

Posts: 38 | From: Huntington Station, NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The (Untrue) Percula:

"McDonald's Hamburgers were made with worm meat until the late 1900s."

Werre they even AROUND in the early 1900s?

No.

This one sounds like a mutation of the McSquirmies myth.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:
Sherlock Holmes NEVER said "Elementary, my dear Watson",
Dr Watson NEVER said "No shit, Sherlock"
[lol]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these are so mind-blowingly obvious, I think a more interesting trivia bit would be to preface said item with "some people are actually unaware that..."
For example:
quote:

"Speak of the Devil" is short for "Speak of the Devil and he shall come". It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention. That's why when you're talking about someone and they show up people say "Speak of the Devil."

Really? You think? Hey, I've got a good one. "Good night" originates from an early expression in modern English, in which the speaker wishes the other person a pleasant evening since he will not be seeing him again.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"90% of bird species are monogamous; only 3% of animals are." And today we learned that birds aren't animals. Or that 90% of birds account for 3% of animals.

"A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight." 12 seconds?

More fun to mock than to read.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FC

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FC   E-mail FC   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."
They forgot about "underfund."
Posts: 45 | From: Puget Sound, WA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
98% of the weight of water is made up from oxygen.
Last time I checked it was 85%. Has the periodic table changed recently?

Atomic weights:
Hydrogen = 1.00794
Oxygen = 15.9994

Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FC:
quote:
"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."
Also underneath, undersized, and undergarments.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had to guess whether or not 90% of birds accounting for 3% of all animals was approximately true or not, I would guess "true". After all, the insects outnumber the rest of animals. I would think birds would be even less than 3%.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
5 Pin Bowler

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5 Pin Bowler   E-mail 5 Pin Bowler   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
quote:
Originally posted by FC:
quote:
Also underneath, undersized, and undergarments.
Unless I am missing a joke, (which I do on a regular basis - especially when the joke is on me), I do not believe these three words qualify.

--------------------
I'm wrong a lot....A LOT

Posts: 8 | From: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edited because I got the joke and I can't seem to read and comprehend at the same time right now.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
I'm saying nothing about this one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
Bananas are actually herbs. Bananas die after fruiting, like all herbs do.

From what I understand, the banana plant is technically a herb, but the yellow 'fruit' itself is actually a false berry.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.
And there was me thinking it was the whip speaking! You're right, some of these beggar belief.

quote:
315 entries in Webster's 1996 dictionary were misspelled.

315 words in the 1996 Webster's dictionary were mispelled.

[lol]

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
"A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight." 12 seconds?

Orville Wright's first flight was about 39 meters long (in 12 seconds). A 747's wingspan varies depending on the specific model, but would be around 60-70 meters.

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Herbs are not annual, they don't necessarily die after one year. ( think of rosemary and thyme and parsley and probably sage as well. Chives, bay leaves, mintI could go on all day if I really thought about it) herbs are not defined by whether or not they are annuals . Bananas could also be said not to die after one year as they put up suckers that are genetically identical to the previous plant. Bananas are not herbs. that one is really stupid.
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1200 equals 1 pound (72 rupees).
[Confused]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A broken clock is right at least twice a day.
Really? Even if it's broken because it fell and smashed into 100 pieces? Even if all the numbers fell off? Even if the hands of the clock fell off? Even if it's a digital with no batteries?

I'm done with this site. It's making my blood boil.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"1.7 litres of saliva is produced each day. In Discovery Channel, its a quart."

Eh?

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"A "jiffy" is actually a proper time unit for 1/100th of a second"

Yes. I can see it now.

Cosmolgists are now able to look deeper into the universe, and so further back in time, to those very first jiffy's when the universe was created.

Stay with us, on the Discovery Channel.

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gary_Reza

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Gary_Reza   E-mail Gary_Reza   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan's home:

This also suggests there's a possibility of it being right more than twice a day.

--------------------
You don't win friends with salad.

Posts: 9 | From: Surrey, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, its brokenness might consist of going many times as fast as it should.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gary_Reza:
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan's home:

This also suggests there's a possibility of it being right more than twice a day.
There is the possibility but it is very rare. If it is at the proper time on the "fall back" day at the end of daylight saving time, it may be right three times.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Well, its brokenness might consist of going many times as fast as it should.

If you allow it to move, and it is never reset, there is the possibility that it is only correct once in several months (if it is slightly slow, that is).
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 302 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say I'm surprised but on this page they say the following:
quote:
In the original Wizard of Oz, during the scene in the forest, you can see a body hanging from a tree in the background. This is real. He was an actor that hung himself after he didnt get the part of the Tinman. They cut it out of the later versions, but if you have a movie from before the golden age of film editing, you'll see him.
Brian "hopefully, Jenn won't see this" B

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrianB:
I can't say I'm surprised but on this page they say the following:
quote:
In the original Wizard of Oz, during the scene in the forest, you can see a body hanging from a tree in the background. This is real. He was an actor that hung himself after he didnt get the part of the Tinman. They cut it out of the later versions, but if you have a movie from before the golden age of film editing, you'll see him.
Brian "hopefully, Jenn won't see this" B
From the same page:

quote:
In an average lifetime, a person will eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders while sleeping.
quote:
It is impossible to sneeze and keep your eyes open at the same time.
quote:
If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Recent scientific research has has shown Duck's quacks DO echo, even though they are commonly thought not to because the echo is can [sic] not be heard by the human ear.

Not true. Last week I was standing with a couple of friends by the shores of lake Mälaren in the middle of Stockholm not far from the Västerbron bridge when suddenly a duck flow by, emitting a series of loud quacks. The echo of the quacks against the side of the bridge was definitely audible to all three of us.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages