snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Trivia » Unsolvable Riddles (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Unsolvable Riddles
Lamuella
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimbo 50% off:
Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go?

Nowhere, as you're mis-stating this case.

Let's go through this from the start

when the men come in, they have $30

When they have paid for their rooms, they have $0 and the hotel has $30

When the bellboy takes the money to give back to them, they have $0, the bellboy has $5 and the hotel has $25

When the bellboy gives them the money back, they have $3, the bellboy has $2, the hotel has $25

The fallacy here is to think you can "add" the bellboy's $2 to the $27 they have paid for the room. It's already part of that $27, as it's $25+$2

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lamuella

quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
The real question is: "If a tree falls in a forest and kills a mime, does anybody care?"

pinqy

as any player of the Monkey Island series of games knows, the correct question is:

"If a tree falls in a forest and there's no-one around to hear it, what colour is the tree?"

BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No cat has eight tails. A cat has one tail more than no cat. Therefore, a cat has nine tails.
Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frenchy

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
as any player of the Monkey Island series of games knows, the correct question is:

oh, yeah! I played that!! [Big Grin]
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits: kits, cats, sacks and wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?

Ordinarily, of course, the answer is "one." The others were coming from St. Ives. However, I maintain that the riddle is patently not solvable, since the speaker may have caught up with this felinophilic bigamist. After all, with median weight of ten pounds per cat and eight ounces per kit, and throwing into the equation the weight of the sacks, each wife is staggering along under a 665.86 pound payload. Their rate of progress must have been abysmal, allowing the speaker to overtake them. However, were I one of the wives, at some point I would give up and dump the whole boiling of cats and kits onto my husband's head before decamping for Reno to obtain a quickie divorce. Assuming the cats would kill the husband and then they and their progeny would scatter in all directions (one direction necessarily being toward St. Ives), the math becomes staggering.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From "Mad Magazine":

As I was going to St. Ives
I met a man with seven wives.
Of course, the seven wives weren't his;
But here in France, that's how it is.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:
If we approach the tree conundrum on the surface level, it is a damn stupid question - of course a tree makes a sound at the moment it falls when no one is there to hear it - a hidden tape recorder played back would verify this. That satisfies all the criteria of the question - someone could quite accurately 'solve' the riddle on that level and go away smug in the knowledge that they are far superior to all the buddist monks who have struggled for centuries to work it out, but they would have really solved nothing and limited their level of understanding and wouldn't really have understood the point of the riddle.

I think I would walk away mildly confident in the opinion that the culture from which this came from had a significantly different concept of sound and perception than I do, and that much of its meaning is lost in translation.

The point of koans - if they can be said to have a point - seems like a thing to bang your head against for a purpose I cannot adequately explain. To suggest it's wrong to try to approach the question, or that, after somehow reaching a satisfying answer, one should ignore the answer and hold an artificial amazement at the koan, is strange to me.

What if the question was "How many grains of rice are in an empty bowl?" or "What is a triangle, the sum of whose angles are not 180 degrees?"

If you are amazed by these questions and want them in a safe place so that you don't have to actually think about them, that's fine. But if nobody tried to answer these questions, we'd not have the concept of zero or non-Euclidean geometry.

The reason society works is because people think differently.

quote:
The sciencey route can solve the puzzle on a very superficial level quite quickly and discussion reaches a dead end, which is no way to enlightenment.
While I imagine it's at least possible you are in fact a Bodhisattva, I find it very unlikely, so forgive me if I don't put much credibility in this particular assertion.

Who says I can't be a student of both science and Buddhism? I find a lot of value in Mahayana and Zen writings. If you think I'm missing the point by attempting to answer koans, that's certainly a valid opinion, and you may in fact be right, but I can't possibly understand how you expect me to change my philosophy, my moral code, my ethics, my religion, my political leanings, or my favorite brand of ice cream simply by voicing your disapproval. While it's certainly possible to change the way I view the world, I can't quite do it on demand.

Alchemy

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Alchemy:
If you think I'm missing the point by attempting to answer koans, that's certainly a valid opinion, and you may in fact be right, but I can't possibly understand how you expect me to change my philosophy, my moral code, my ethics, my religion, my political leanings, or my favorite brand of ice cream simply by voicing your disapproval. While it's certainly possible to change the way I view the world, I can't quite do it on demand.

I didn't expect you to change any of these things, I was just offering my point of view, same as you, which as you say, is how society works.

You're perfectly correct in that you can approach a riddle or koan in any way you see fit and no approach is more or less valid, objectively speaking.

The only point that I was trying to make was that if you see the tree question as a straightforward question about whether a falling tree might make a noise when no one can hear it, and get bogged down with air vibrations, sound waves, etc, and treat it as a testable scientific experiment, then it's really not much of a question. As I said, you could hide a tape recorder, have no one around to hear the falling tree, go back and play the tape and prove that a falling tree does make a sound at the moment it falls when no one is there to hear it, thus solving the riddle. It fully satisfies all the criteria of the surface question and you could accurately say you've solved the puzzle.

When you say:

quote:
If you are amazed by these questions and want them in a safe place so that you don't have to actually think about them, that's fine.
you sum up my opinion. See, if you take the scientific route of treating the question on a surface level and think about it as dealing with a particular tree, etc, and 'solve' it quite quickly, that to me is wrapping the question up, breaking it down and making it more managable, putting it neatly away in a 'safe place' marked "solved! category: dead easy, aren't I a brainbox", so you don't have to actually think about it.

See, to me, this method isn't engaging with the question on any sort of meaningful level - it's making the slightly slippery back-street tactic of trying to argue that actually, someone has 'heard' the tree falling, in some capacity, whether through air vibrations, residual sound wave dispertion, a passing woodlouse who heard it, etc. To me, this is the old technique of dismissing the question, pretending their isn't really a question there, rather than engaging with it. People who approach and answer the question in this way haven't really solved anything but the most superficial question, which anyone could 'solve'. Again, this is merely my opinion.

Your technique is valid certainly - I wouldn't argue that it wasn't, or that anyone is 'wrong' exactly - but I think there is more to the question than this, that's all.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Dope:
What if a object that was litteraly unmovable was attempted moved by a force that was litteraly irresistable. Who would win?

I didn't see this one as too hard, but I'm sure someone will dissect me. Mmm, brains.

An "unmovable" object or an "irresistable" force can only be defined as being unmovable or irresistable compared to anything else known. If someonething is unmovable it is only because there is nothing else around that has the capability to move it. The same applies to the irresistable force.

If the two were to meet, presumably one would have to give way, which ever had the least force in the first place. Let's presume that the irresistable force wins and the unmovable object moves. The object is has been moved so it is no longer defined as unmovable, however it was never truly unmovable in the first place. For something to be truly unmovable it would have to have properties of infinate force, and infinity is a concept as opposed to a reality.

So in conclusion, the object that was "infinately" unmovable and the force that is "infinately" irresistable, aren't actually truly infinate, just that which everone wins has yet to discover anything that can stop its force. Indeed there may be nothing in the universe which can stop its force, however there is a finite point at which it stops being infinately forceful.

English is not my forte as you may be able to tell.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravensbane
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ravensbane         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Irresistable force vs. immovable object

(from George Carlin's comedy album "Class Clown")

Smart Aleck Catholic schoolboy (with thick Brooklyn accent): "So Father...can God make a rock SO heavy that He Himself cannot lift it?" (*cackles helplessly*) "Can He?"

Priest (in thick Irish brogue): "Well, my son....It's a Mystery..."

--------------------
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives."
Dr. Charles Fisher, psychoanalyst and sleep researcher.

Posts: 671 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever hear of the "Runner's Paradox?" It goes like this:

A runner is trying to run from Point A to Point B. But according to the paradox, he can never reach Point B. Why not? Because first, he has to cover half the distance to Point B, then half the distance he's crossed, and so on into infinity. Therefore, he can never cover the whole distance because he has to cross an infinite number of half distances.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gg83
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Gg83         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Ever hear of the "Runner's Paradox?"

I've heard of that one in terms of Achilles and the Tortoise. Achilles can run ten times as fast as the tortoise, and they have a race. To be fairer, Achilles gives the tortoise a ten meter head start. By the time Achilles runs the ten meters, the tortoise has gone one meter. By the time Achilles runs that meter, the tortoise has gone one decimeter further. By the time Achilles runs that decimeter, the tortoise has gone one centimeter further. Achilles gets closer and closer to the tortoise, but never overtakes him.

But in real life, of course, the tortoise would be left in the dust. So, how to resolve the paradox?

In reality, there's no paradox at all. The problem is that, despite what one might think, an infinite number of amounts added to each other may not necessarily have an infinite sum. Take the Runner's Paradox. Say the distance from point A to point B is one meter. Thus, the runner first must run 1/2 meter. Then he must run 1/4 meter more, then 1/8 m, then 1/16 m, and so on (the infinite number of half distances mentioned in the original problem). However, 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 + 1/256 (and so on infinitely) = 1. Despite the infinite number of fractions, they end up equalling one. I believe it's called a diminishing series. And in the case of Achilles and the tortoise, 10 m + 1 m + 1/10 m + 1/100 m + 1/1000 m + 1/10000 m + 1/100000 (and so on infinitely) = 11.11111... m, which is the same as 11 1/9 m. Thus, Achilles will overtake the tortoise when he's run eleven and one-ninth meters.

(Thank you, Isaac Asimov, for the marvelous essay which explained the above concept clearly to me.)

--------------------
More Snape in drag. Seriously, man, that just improves any book. Like, A Tale of Two Cities? TEN TIMES BETTER if Madame Defarge is really Snape in drag with a bad knitting habit.

Posts: 241 | From: Land of Lincoln, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu the Black Mage

quote:
Originally posted by ravensbane:
Re: Irresistable force vs. immovable object

(from George Carlin's comedy album "Class Clown")

Smart Aleck Catholic schoolboy (with thick Brooklyn accent): "So Father...can God make a rock SO heavy that He Himself cannot lift it?" (*cackles helplessly*) "Can He?"

Priest (in thick Irish brogue): "Well, my son....It's a Mystery..."

One better:

Marvel Comics Characters The Blob vs. Juggernaut.

Blob cannot be moved by anything, Juggy can break thru anything, nothing can stop him.

Pit the two together.

Blob is sent flying, Juggy is stopped dead in his tracks.

End of story.

kessira

quote:
Originally posted by Frenchy:
quote:

oh, yeah! I played that!! [Big Grin]
---
And dug up the treasure, and hacked open the huge lock on the treasure chest, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt... [Big Grin]
The Ghost Pirate Judy

Cowgal

What is the opposite of "if"?

I know the answer, but I don't really get it.

Sunline

quote:
Originally posted by Cowgal:

The closest I can think of is 'when' but that still doesn't seem quite right. [Confused]

Can you let us know the answer... or I'll get no sleep tonight thinking about it! [Big Grin]

Publius
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Publius     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Unless," maybe? "If" establishes a condition under which x will occur, and "unless" establishes a condition under which it will not?
Posts: 1640 | From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sunline

Good thinking publius! [Smile]
Publius
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Publius     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I think so rarely I figure I'd better make it count when I do. [Wink]

(Now I'll be embarrassed if it turns out I'm wrong.)

Posts: 1640 | From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Think of a number between 1-10. Now multiply that # by 9. Now add the two digits of that number together. Now subtract 5. Take that number and assign it to it's corresponding letter, 1=a, 2=b etc... Think of a state that starts with that letter. Take the second letter in the state and think of an animal that starts with that letter (C=Cat, R=Rhino etc) now imagine that animal pink...

You're thinking of a pink elephant.

Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PASnow:
Think of a number between 1-10. Now multiply that # by 9. Now add the two digits of that number together. Now subtract 5. Take that number and assign it to it's corresponding letter, 1=a, 2=b etc... Think of a state that starts with that letter. Take the second letter in the state and think of an animal that starts with that letter (C=Cat, R=Rhino etc) now imagine that animal pink...

No, because the animal you are thinking of will always begin with the letter "d."

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, since it was the second letter, Pogue, she's right, since people will think of the only D state (Delaware), and most people will think of an elephant than say, an emu.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
the only D state (Delaware)

What about N. and S. Dakota?

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowgal

The opposite of if is "unless". I finally get it. Say the sentence "I will do it if she does it." is saying you will do something, depending if somebody also does that. the sentence "I will do it unless she does it" is saying you will NOT do something depending that another does it. The exact opposite.

Nice work Publius.

Cowgal

Any math wizzes (not me) might be able to get this one. Still unsolved......

1. If I buy a certain 4 items priced at:
$1.20
$1.25
$1.50
$3.16

- To get the total of these figures, it does not matter
if the prices are added together as one would expect or
if the prices are multiplied. The total bill will be the
same: $7.11. What mathematical principle is being
displayed in this problem?

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avril:
Actually, since it was the second letter, Pogue, she's right, since people will think of the only D state (Delaware), and most people will think of an elephant than say, an emu.

Avril

How about the state of disillusion? Or the state of despair?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Level47

Back to the "Who shaves the barber?" question for a minute:

quote:
Originally posted by Tokugawa Bakayasu - Shoguns 50% Off:
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Maybe the barber doesn't shave- he plucks his beard out with tweezers, or uses hot wax, or.....

Again, it hurts my head, but I love this stuff.

Right, he doesn't shave himself, so he must be shaved by the barber according to the 'rules.' The necessity of shaving doesn't count - otherwise, one might suggest the barber is a man who grows no facial hair.
But without facial hair, the 'rules' are irrelevant, because then all the barber is really doing is dragging his razor back and forth across the guy's face without actually cutting anything off. That's not shaving, that's just going through the motions of shaving. By definition, in order to be shaven you must first have facial hair to shave. So, if the barber grows no facial hair, or removes his facial hair by other means, it would be not only unnecessary but flat-out impossible for anyone to shave the barber.

------------
Level "Jesus Shaves (The Barber, That Is)" 47

TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody's figured it out yet?! THE BARBER IS A *WOMAN!!!*

-TB "With really hairy legs!!!" Tabby

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Really?

quote:
(1) A certain male inhabitant of Russellville (call him 'the barber') shaves all and only male inhabitants of Russellville who do not shave themselves. Who shaves the barber?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-Gator:
quote:

No, because the animal you are thinking of will always begin with the letter "d."

Pogue

Not true. I chose 1. 1 * 9 = 9. Since i have no double digits, the number remains 9. The ninth letter is I. The state i though thought of was Iowa. The animal would be somthing that starts with o. Lets say Ostrich. There is no such thing as a pink ostritch. End of story.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Publius:
quote:

"Unless," maybe? "If" establishes a condition under which x will occur, and "unless" establishes a condition under which it will not?
In computing terms, NOT would oppose if. But the english language differs...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-Gator:
quote:

Pogue

Not true. I chose 1. 1 * 9 = 9. Since i have no double digits, the number remains 9. The ninth letter is I. The state i though thought of was Iowa. The animal would be somthing that starts with o. Lets say Ostrich. There is no such thing as a pink ostritch. End of story.
I think you missed the part in the instructions which tells you to subract 5; 9-5 = 4. That would be D rather than I.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

your right, i did miss that... my bad, i guess thats why they ask you to multiply by nine so that you get four....

ETA: I figured it out. Multiplying any number 1-9 by nine and adding the two double didgits up will get you nine which subtracting 5 from will always get you four.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Rosalind

If the law states that all murderers, but only murderers, must be put to death, then what happens to conjoined twins, of which one pair commited murder, but the other did not, and who could not survive should one of the pair die?
Sunny Lea

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosalind:
If the law states that all murderers, but only murderers, must be put to death, then what happens to conjoined twins, of which one pair commited murder, but the other did not, and who could not survive should one of the pair die?

My own personal (twisted) answer to this one: Have the innocent twin kill the guilty twin. Thus, the innocent twin has murdered and can now safely be put to death without violating the letter of the law. [Smile]

As for the immovable object and the irresistible force, I would assume they would sit there each trying to do their thing, thus creating inertia for all eternity, but neither would technically ever become movable or resistable, since neither would technically ever be officially moved or resisted. (I thought to hard about that one...)

As for the barber, I think it is obvious he has no head! [Razz] (And I think I've figured out that I have to do this [fish] to myself now.)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages