snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » 24 Hour Photo Challenge 40 - When I Was Your Age (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 24 Hour Photo Challenge 40 - When I Was Your Age
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's your new challenge Ladies and Gentlemen! We've all heard it at one time or anohter "When I was your age...". I want to see your interpretation of "when I was your age". Have fun!

When I was your age, we didn't have no high falutin cd player, nosiree, we had this.

subfolder
slideshow

Rules:

Posters have 24 hours from the post that sets the new challenge to submit their pictures to the thread.
Voting will then start, continuing for another 24 hours.
After those 24 hours, the votes will be counted, and the winner issues the next challenge.
All pictures must be taken specifically for this thread.
One entry per person per round.
Once you have posted a pic, you cannot change it.
The first person to post a pic (not including the person who set the challenge) automatically gets one bonus vote.
One vote per person.
You can't vote for yourself.
You do not have to have entered a picture to vote for the winner.
Votes must be posted in bold. If quoting someone else, please edit out bold tags, to avoid confusion. Please do not put any other text in bold.
In the event of a tie, the person who posted their picture first wins.
Votes are cast for the content of a picture, not picture quality or photographic skills. Vote for originality, effort and comedy.
Be honest. If the challenge is to have a picture taken with a dog that is not yours, then don't take a picture with your dog. You're only cheating yourself.
No Photoshopping or editing of any kind. You can reduce the size of your pictures, but no cropping or anything else. The photos must be as you took them.
This is the Photobucket page for this competition. The name is "snopesphoto", and the password is "snopes". Visit here and upload the picture to the appropriate subfolder, putting your name in the "description" field. Provide a direct link to the photo in your post.
Be careful when choosing a filename for your photo, before uploading it. 2 photos with the same name in the same folder can cause problems with Photobucket. It's suggested that you save the photo with a filename that is a combination of the challenge name and your name. So, if your name is "Discogal" and the challenge is "take a picture with a dog that is not yours", then "Disconotmydog" would be a good filename.
The winner, once they have set the new challenge, will create a new subfolder, obviously titled.
The winner will set the new challenge in a new thread, which is to be titled "24 Hour Photo Challenge", and which is to contain the name of the new challenge and the round number.
These rules are to be pasted into the first post of the new challenge.
The first post should also contain a direct link to the new subfolder, and one to the slideshow for that subfolder ("http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/snopesphoto/NAME OF SUBFOLDER/?action=view&slideshow=true" Note, this url, as written will not work, as it contains spaces. Where there are spaces in the "name of subfolder" space, replace them with "%20").

Edit to add link to the rules.

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, you kids these days... you don't know how easy y'all gots things...

High definition? What's that?

Digital cable? You must be joking!

What's a remote control anyway?

Pssst... this is actually in my bedroom. It still works!

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
4GB ram, 500GB hard discs, games on DVD ... bah ... when I was young we had 32K ram, cassette recorders, we had to type in our own bloody programmes ... and we were grateful.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was your age I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. And we couldn't get those fancy white ones, only the big yellow ones. Kids today have no sense of fashion. Do you even know how hard it is to tie an onion to your belt?

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RingKeeper, did you steal that belt out of my closet?! [Eek!]

Also... [lol]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang nabbit. I was hoping the onion would disguise it enough that you wouldn't recognize it. Might I add that I believe the hat from your profile pic is from my closet.

And thanks. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We didn't have backpacks.

Of course we didn't have that much homework, either. Unfortunately, that pile is exactly what my 12 year old daughter brought home in her backpack today.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had to walk barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways to and from school.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancin' Fool
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dancin' Fool   E-mail Dancin' Fool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These guys were champs!

Believe it, *hissing noise - Jack Palance style* Or Not . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 266 | From: Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in my day, we didn't have cute lingerie. No thongs or g-strings...we had to make due with boring granny panties.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in my day we didn't have indoor plumbing. When it was too cold or too dark to go out to the outhouse we used one of these.

Back in those days we didn't throw stuff out. When we got our indoor plumbing we found a way to reuse it.

I am old enough that this is actually a true story.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you grow up in a small town? My parents are 60 and 57 respectively, and they've had indoor plumbing all their lives.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

MapleLeaf, My parents are the same age as yours and they used outhouses for most of their childhood. Then again, my MIL, from Ontario, showed me an antique school desk she had and it was just like the ones I sat in until eighth grade. [Smile]

Despite what my kids think, it wasn't that long ago.

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mapleleaf, my parents are right around that age and they had outhouses when they grew up- on farms in Wisconsin. My mom didn't get indoor plumbing till she was around 16 and moved into town.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had to get our water from here.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the good old days we didn't have any cameras to take photographs with.

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay the time for submitting pictures is up! FrogFeathers gets a vote for being first. My personal vote goes to kitoboo for daring to hang an outhouse/toilet thingy on her wall!

Pixie"object d'art"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Adelaide, because not only is that the ultimate 'when I was young' saying, she put her bare feet in the snow!
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Adelaide, not only because I'm sure I've heard my own parents say that, but she suffered for her art.

--------------------

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For exactly the same reasons I will have to go with Adelaide.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to vote for going slightly mad because if I had thought of that, I could have participated!

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RingKeeper, because that's exactly the way I've always pictured it.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RingKeeper. A great reference and a great belt.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 19 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Adelaide.

(By the way, on days when I had to walk to school, I really did have to walk uphill both ways. I lived on a big hill, and the school was on top of an even bigger hill. Thus, uphill to school, and then up my own hill on the way home!)

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RingKeeper for a hilarious entry!

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic

Okay I must have missed something. Someone please explain Ringkeeper's entry...I thought she was just being funny (and it was darn funny!)

Pixie"I don't get it"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its from The Simpsons.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here under the heading "A recurring feature..."

Edit for clarity: Heading is Personality, paragraph is A recurring feature

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to vote for Ringkeeper, because it's the only way I'll get my belt back. [Wink]

Syl "The hat stays with me though!" lavus

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic

Giselle and glass papaya, thank you both so much! I watch the Simpsons and I can't believe I missed the reference.

Pixie"oooh NOW I get it!"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ringkeeper

inspired [Smile]

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 11 Dad retired from the military and we moved into the house my great-grandfather built on a farm. Our running water was a hand pump on the back porch. The only electricity was to a single light bulb hanging from a cord in the middle of the room.

Dad did most of the renovations himself and we had indoor plumbing within the year. He installed gas space heaters in the downstairs rooms but I had to haul firewood up to my bedroom. I set up a cot in the kitchen and slept there until he finaly installed heaters upstairs.

The telephone company didn't run wires out our way until the mid 60's. We only got DSL out here recently and we still don't have cable.

My Mom actually was the one who first hung the urinal/chamber pot in the macrame hanger. She put it in the downstairs powder room and stuck plastic daffodils in it. I just pulled it out of the cupboard for the photo but I think I'll leave it up for a while.

History lesson is over. Proceed with the voting.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved RingKeepers too, although by the time I got to enter most of my ideas had been stolen, incl. Andrew, F_F and Pixiechic's efforts. So I was forced to drive two miles up the hill to my Father's and Grandfather's old cottage, where this pump is still there and still working. I never had to use it as my Mum and Dad moved out of the cottage after my two older brothers were born, my mother being unable to stick the winters up in the mountains.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
kitoboo, for authenticity.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought going slightly mad's photo was saying that "in his day" God hadn't gotten around to creating light yet.

RingKeeper

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages