snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » "Famous" Rhyming Couplets (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Famous" Rhyming Couplets
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Globe and Mail daily newspaper runs a weekly contest known as "The Globe Challenge". It is a competition of wit and wordplay. One of the challenges from a while ago was to take a famous first line from a poem and change the second line with humourous results (if the first line is really short, one can copy verbatim the first two lines and make up a third and fourth). Some examples from that challenge were:

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree/
But now it's gone, because it had no weatherproofing guarantee.

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day/
Three players tested positive and weren't allowed to play.

The Assyrian came down like a wolf on the fold/
Was it terror or war? We were all Gallup-polled.

So I was thinking that we could get something going where someone tosses out a first line from a poem, and the next person adds a rhyming line and suggests a new first line for the following person.

--------------
The Rules:

1) The poem (or at least the poet) must be relatively well-known.
2) The matching line must rhyme with the first line
3) The poster must follow up his or her rhyming line with a new first line for the next poster
4) Bold the real first line when you suggest it. When adding a rhyming line to someone else's first line, copy the original first line in plain text and bold your rhyming line.
5) There is no need to identify the actual second line of the poem unless you feel it crucial.

I hope it catches on. I'll go first:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I waited until I was mugged by a hood
Who left me stunned in the undergrowth.
----

I heard a Fly buzz--when I died--

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a Fly buzz--when I died--
After that, a cricket sighed.

----

Thank Heaven! the crisis, the danger is past,

Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank Heaven! the crisis, the danger is past
I found my lucky socks at last!

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwww RingKeeper, did you have to edit your first line, I just thought of something! I'm bad enough at rhyming as is, I don't think I can think of two rhymes a day [Frown]

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
They down their tools, then mount their mules,
When the hour of twelve is tolled

Were my bosom as false as thou deem'st it to be,

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Were my bosom as false as thou deem'st it to be, [/QB]

It'd be not A, but double D.

Oh yeah, i have to add my own!

He did not come in the dawning; he did not come at noon;

edited because i forgot to continue the whole thing by adding a new one

edited again, because 'assing' isn't 'adding'

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by going slightly mad:
Awwww RingKeeper, did you have to edit your first line, I just thought of something! I'm bad enough at rhyming as is, I don't think I can think of two rhymes a day [Frown]

Sorry. I re-read the rules and then thought that the poem may not be well known enough.

--------------------

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He did not come in the dawning; he did not come at noon;
I'll have to go to Tesco's if the milkman's not here soon.

The boy stood on the burning deck
Whence all but he had fled...

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweat was rolling down his neck,
And his feet glowed cherry red.

----

'Twas the eighteenth of April in 'seventy-five,
Hardly a man is now alive....

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Twas the eighteenth of April in 'seventy-five,
Hardly a man is now alive....

Perhaps next time the rest will strive
To shift to 'reverse' instead of 'drive'

----

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love you like the yowl of a thousand strays.

Who's woods these are I think I know.

--------------------

Tabbymago

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whose woods these are I think I know
He's got a gun -- we'd better go.

'Twas the night before Chistmas, and all through the house

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Twas the night before Chistmas, and all through the house
many beer cans were strewn by my husband the louse

I met a traveler from an antique land

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I met a stranger from an antique land
who gave me a good deal on an old TV stand

Tyger, Tyger, burning bright

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tyger, Tyger, burning bright
Someone's set its tail alight

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?

--------------------

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused as to the rules. The OP said "the first line" but many people are using the first two lines.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
It is a competition of wit and wordplay. One of the challenges from a while ago was to take a famous first line from a poem and change the second line with humourous results (if the first line is really short, one can copy verbatim the first two lines and make up a third and fourth).
Someone's cast you evil charms
Your neck, it is a-goiter-ing.

---

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Stoneage Dinosaur

quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Someone's cast you evil charms
Your neck, it is a-goiter-ing.

[lol] Excellent.

--------------------

RingKeeper

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?

Nay, keep a watch out in the back
Lest they get you from behind.

--------

I think that I shall never see

--------------------

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that I shall never see
Unless in the meter I put five pee.

Nature and Nature's Laws lay hid in Night

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God I remembered my flash-a-light.

I was born in the house my father built.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

I was born in the house my father built.
It was crooked and smoked like a Labrador tilt

----------------

Once upon a midnight dreary

--------------------

Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once upon a midnight dreary
We got drunk - our eyes were bleary.

---------------------

Who will go drive with Fergus now
And pierce the deep woods' woven shade?

(Edited to fix irregular meter)

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Hold up your hand and out I'll bow,
'Cause spooky woods make me afraid.

----

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,

--------------------

Brad from Georgia

Nobody wants to play? Okay, so I kill the thread:

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,
If I don't find a loo, haul me to the boneyard.

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree

Hey, it was fun while it lasted. And I'm honestly surprised it got this much of a result.

(If anyone wants to ressurect it down the road, feel free.)

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'll do it:

On the shores of Gitchee Gumee
By the shining big Sea-Water...

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
On the shores of Gitchee Gumee
By the shining big Sea-Water...

I got myself in trouble
When I boinked the General's daughter.

Another from "The Highwayman:"

Dumb as a dog he listened, and he heard the robber say-

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Give me your money or I'll do with you away!

If at first you don't succeed...

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If at first you don't succeed...

NFBSK it, just have some weed.

Stop all the clocks,
Cut off the telephone...

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stop all the clocks,
Cut off the telephone...

turn out the lights;
ConEd's shut down your zone.

Terrible. [Razz]

Jenny was so happy about the house they had found.

(Hey, it's well known to us snopesters!)

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Jenny was so happy about the house they had found.

Little did poor Jenny know
She'd soon be underground

------------

O World! O Life! O Time!

--------------------

RangerDog

O World! O life! O Time!
I scrub and scrub to get rid of this grime.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
I love thee even when thou breath dost stink.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in....

ETC my selection

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages