snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » 24 Hour Photo Challenge - 29 - Aesop's Fables (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 24 Hour Photo Challenge - 29 - Aesop's Fables
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your task this time is to illustrate one of Aesop's Fables.

My version of ...The Cat and Venus.

Subfolder
Slideshow

Rules:
  • Posters have 24 hours from the post that sets the new challenge to submit their pictures to the thread.
  • Voting will then start, continuing for another 24 hours.
  • After those 24 hours, the votes will be counted, and the winner issues the next challenge.
  • All pictures must be taken specifically for this thread.
  • One entry per person per round.
  • Once you have posted a pic, you cannot change it.
  • The first person to post a pic (not including the person who set the challenge) automatically gets one bonus vote.
  • One vote per person.
  • You can't vote for yourself.
  • You do not have to have entered a picture to vote for the winner.
  • Votes must be posted in bold. If quoting someone else, please edit out bold tags, to avoid confusion. Please do not put any other text in bold.
  • In the event of a tie, the person who posted their picture first wins.
  • Votes are cast for the content of a picture, not picture quality or photographic skills. Vote for originality, effort and comedy.
  • Be honest. If the challenge is to have a picture taken with a dog that is not yours, then don't take a picture with your dog. You're only cheating yourself.
  • No Photoshopping or editing of any kind. You can reduce the size of your pictures, but no cropping or anything else. The photos must be as you took them.
  • This is the Photobucket page for this competition. The name is "snopesphoto", and the password is "snopes". Visit here and upload the picture to the appropriate subfolder, putting your name in the "description" field. Provide a direct link to the photo in your post.
  • Be careful when choosing a filename for your photo, before uploading it. 2 photos with the same name in the same folder can cause problems with Photobucket. It's suggested that you save the photo with a filename that is a combination of the challenge name and your name. So, if your name is "Discogal" and the challenge is "take a picture with a dog that is not yours", then "Disconotmydog" would be a good filename.
  • The winner, once they have set the new challenge, will create a new subfolder, obviously titled.
  • The winner will set the new challenge in a new thread, which is to be titled "24 Hour Photo Challenge", and which is to contain the name of the new challenge and the round number.
  • These rules are to be pasted into the first post of the new challenge.
  • The first post should also contain a direct link to the new subfolder, and one to the slideshow for that subfolder ("http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/snopesphoto/NAME OF SUBFOLDER/?action=view&slideshow=true" Note, this url, as written will not work, as it contains spaces. Where there are spaces in the "name of subfolder" space, replace them with "%20").

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you'd read my rant-y letter in "Letters you wish you could send", then you'd know why this is my version of "The Horse and the Ass".

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
My version of ...The Cat and Venus.

YOMANK Tootsie. This is a great topic.

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
If you'd read my rant-y letter in "Letters you wish you could send", then you'd know why this is my version of "The Horse and the Ass".

Only one question.  - Was the ass aware of what you were calling him?  -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, he was. I said, "Hey, we're doing fables for the photo challenge, I'm going to do "the Horse and the Ass"..." and I handed him the horse. He said, "Do I have to smile or anything?"

He knows he's an ass. He just doesn't do anything about it. [lol]

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sad! That whole internet connection issue isn't cleared up yet so the friend's wireless connection I'm using is sloooow and I'm unable to upload my picture for this challenge. I can't even attach it to an email. I'll have to sit this one out and just vote...my internet should be up and working tomorrow sometime!

Pixie"waaaaah photo withdrawl"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmISam:
This is a great topic.

So, where are all the entries?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working on it! I just have to wait for my battery to finish charging. And then I have to talk the little McWolfersons into cooperating.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here you go!

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Watch out- she's a sly boots.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"That is all very well, but who is to bell the Cat?"

ETA here's the original story and the moral, "It is easy to propose impossible remedies."

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A sick lion was too ill to go hunting, so he let it be known that he was dying and would welcome animals to visit him so he can say goodbye to them. Whenever animals entered his cave he leapt on them and devoured them. A fox waited at the cave entrance and the lion said to him, Why don't you come in to pay your respects. It's quite safe.'

The fox replied, 'I see a lot of tracks going into the cave, but none coming out. I think I'll stay here.'

Moral: Don't believe all you hear.

ETA: Both NeeCD and I have an identical number of posts! However, I hyave taken over two years longer to reach my total. And the moral? Quality counts more than quantity. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 106 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the original fable of the fox and the crow. The moral is "Do not trust flatters".

--------------------

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew, I messed it up by posting elsewhere, but I did see it when they were the same. As a matter of fact, I would have answered earlier, but didn't want to mess it up just to respond here. I won't argue with your moral though, since I would just about guarantee that fewer than 5% of my posts are meaningful in any way. I think I've racked most of them up playing these games. [Smile]

Edited because I got tripped up on my own munchkin.

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AmISam, is your dog always that thrilled at the sight of flying cheese? Or toucans/crows?

Toad"Just say cheese"Magnet

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This dog in the manger is hoarding cookies that he can't eat, not hay.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToadMagnet:
AmISam, is your dog always that thrilled at the sight of flying cheese? Or toucans/crows?

The :cough: crow :cough: she could do without but she just loves her cheese.(and the peanut butter helps [Wink] )

--------------------

FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:

hahaha...even the shirt he's wearing fits in!

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK I keep telling myself I have no time to enter so today I dragged my camera into work and took my photo over my lunch break. I have been constrained by only being able to use proprs from my desk...(luckily I have lots of silly "toys", it is a shame the robot pencil sharpener didn't fit the challenge).

So I give you My version of The Bats The Birds and The Beasts.

Apologies for the fuzzy picture, I don't know if that is because my camera batteries were low, or because my work computer is useless.

I love the topic Tootsie, and if I had been in time to vote in the last challenge I would have definitely voted for Tootski.

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first entry! (Found my camera dock.)

Our version of The Cat and the Mice

I was going to try to get a sleeping kitten and some mice, but was informed by the kittens that it is NOT sleepy-time right now.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woolf in sheep's clothing

ETA: Curses! Someone's already done it.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Time for entries is up. Time for voting starts now.

Frog_Feathers gets the 'first post' vote.

--------------------
--Tootsie

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for Frog_Feathers because J really deserves the ass label.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for landmammal just for the expression on the sheep's face.

Also loved Frog_Feathers and AmISam, though.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AmISam gets my vote for such a silly entry.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote this round goes to Brillo Bee. Kittens + Mice = CUTENESS!

Pixie"this is as close as I get to kitties"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Pikey Queen

--------------------

SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by bundle of twigs. I thought I try it on my eldest

Alas the force is strong in this one

Oops late. disregard [Smile]

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AmISam for perfectly capturing one of the many few* moods of dogs.

*(Thinking about food, feeling guilty, over excited ... I have only ever known neutered dogs but I guess they have a thinking about sex expression too).

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Grumbling slightly, but he knows that it's his own fault.

Vote for AmISam. The tongue is brilliant.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

AmISam. The dog, er, I mean wolf has just the right attitude here.

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AmISam

--------------------
--Tootsie

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also AmISam.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NeeCD I love the cat looking at all the little mice!

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pixiechic, what was your idea? I see half a photo - a cowboy and a fax machine, neither of which can I remember ever appearing in an Aesop fable.

My vote's for AmISam, with kudos to both "wolves."

Toad"I hope Tootsie's mouse was chocolate-covered!"Magnet

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh some good ones here. Torn between Tootsie Plunkette and AmISam but Tootsie Plunkette gets the vote because it made me giggle.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages