snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » 24 hour photo challenge - round 10 "Another snopester" (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 24 hour photo challenge - round 10 "Another snopester"
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
now I have a question.....

when it comes time to vote, what are we voting on? originality? difficulty on guessing which member is portrayed? how well we like the photographer [Wink] ?

oh, and thanks jw! [Smile]

Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitoboo:
Here's my entry.

---------

YOMANK!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amethyst Dragon:

when it comes time to vote, what are we voting on? originality? difficulty on guessing which member is portrayed? how well we like the photographer [Wink] ?

The first post in the thread addresses voting guidelines.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
when it comes time to vote, what are we voting on? originality? difficulty on guessing which member is portrayed? how well we like the photographer [Wink]

From the OP:
quote:
Vote for originality, effort and comedy.
ETA: Ouch! not so hard, chillas!

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ahhh, my apologies mi amigos/amigas. i do vaguely remember reading them there rules and regs [dunce]

Amethyst "i still don't know who to vote for" Dragon

Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don, I think that you and I had the same idea...

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just going to sneak my entry in here.....

Say What you see

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
Don, I think that you and I had the same idea...

Now that you say it ...

I didn't figure out your's, so it's not a real double entry - and anyway, the rules don't say anything about double entrys ...

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This stage of the photo challenge will self destruct in 10 seconds. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and boom.

Ebil debil here, who did "ChildofMusic". Did we have fun? Well done to everybody and thanks for resisting the urge to explain your entries. Itís added an air of intrigue for this one

We now move on to the voting stage, and more than any other time put your vote, and only your vote, in bold. Otherwise it could get REALLY confusing in this particular challenge.

Iím pretty sure everyone is in the right album, and Iíve added names for BrianB and Amethyst dragon so we know whose pic is which.

One little point and itís no big deal but 24K Kate, ChildofMusic, kitoboo, Frozen Charlotte, and Andrew of Ware all linked to the photobucket page in their posts. Using the URL under the thumbnail of your pic in the subfolder will load a lot quicker. It doesnít affect me, but Iím sure there are some troglodytes still on dial-up around.

Jwís link didnít work at all. If a pic is moved, youíll need to relink it, since it will have a differtent URL.

Anyway, I only was positive of twenty of them, four I think I may know, and the other ten Iím dying to find out. Iím not going to guess or give my answers because I donít want to spoil it for you lot who are posting after me. A couple of them I thought of two answers for, these explanations could be fun

Iíll give honourable mentions to four kitties and Tam but I have to give my vote to Frozen Charlotteís portrayal of "Candy from Strangers".

And Danvers Carew gets a bonus vote for being first.

Well done again, all.

ETA Don Enrico did "First of Two" too??? I thought it was "Bill" or "Bill D" Make it nineteen I knew. [dunce]

P.S. I think we may have to put names in quotation marks for legibility,

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

For me Gotta be kitoboo

Hon mentions to everyone really, Except SatansHobbit who had to make me fink for once.

--------------------

Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote is also for Frozen Charlotte, for artistry apart from anything else...

(That was one of the ideas I had, but in the absence of a readily available small child, it might have turned out too literally).

I also like ali_marea's for simplicity and chillas's for the dubious pun. Actually they're all good... I could do with the glossary for one or two though!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, this was a great round! There's a bunch I love, and a few I'm still scratching my head over. Rhea and Frozen Charlotte I though, in particular, were great. But I have to cast my vote for Jay Tea's picture, which I thought was especially clever but not obscure.

--------------------

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was such a good subject and great photos. I loved woofer's although I have no idea who it represents - I can only recognise 16 - and Andrew's really appealed to me, as did Pikey Queen's and Frozen Charlotte's. My vote, however, goes to Rhea

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still don't get all the entries, but mine was quite obviously (or was it?)* the First of Two well known movies.

My vote goes to Four Kitties for originality and especially effort (in finding all these different styles).

Honorable mentioned are Frozen Charlotte, Rhea and 24k Kate and of course Pikey Queen.

Don Enrico

*judging from SatansHobbit's post, it wasn't. I had a hard time finding two covers of a sequeled (is that a word?) movie, computer game or whatever and than explaining to the guy in the shop why I wanted to take a photo of them, but not buy them - and all of that in my lunch break...

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

I too am voting for Frozen Charlotte. Honors go to kitoboo, Rhea, Tootsie and Danvers.

well done everyone!

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we allowed to find out who the pictures are meant to represent before we vote? I really like one, but I don't think there's a snopester called 'Kiss Ass'.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed.

I'm not going to cast my vote until I know who they all represent - I will apply extra credit for those that sneaked past my radar or were just really clever and I don't know enough snopes-nicks by heart - I won't know until we reveal all [Wink]

Mine, of course, was NewZer0 and i've edited my pic in the folder accordingly - some of you may well have known the aircraft was a Zero but had no memory of the snopester, others of course would have been flumoxed by simply knowing zip about WWII single radial fighter aircraft [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew, that would be Pogue Mahone.

I vote for chillas .

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course! Thanks guruwan2b.

Eh?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SatansHobbit gets my vote with honorable mentions to Frozen Charlotte and to ali_marea, for purely self-serving reasons.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I realized last night 24K Kate scooped me by 6 minutes, am I DQ'd?

How's this working? Should we all reveal our inspiration, or should someone post a key?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Aw, shucks, thanks guru! Yup, it's Pogue Mahone. I've updated the picture title in the album to show that.

--------------------

The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
Are we allowed to find out who the pictures are meant to represent before we vote? I really like one, but I don't think there's a snopester called 'Kiss Ass'.

How about Pogue Mahone?

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst Ū hringi
HŲldumst Ū hendur
Allur heimurinn ůskżr
Nema Ģķ stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody want to compile and edit a list?

I'd volunteer, but I'm a slow, slow typist and won't be up for much longer.

ETA I missed seven posts typing that!

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Ana: There was nothing in the rules about having to be unique, so I'd say you're still in.

--------------------

Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie gets my vote once again.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was torn between Chillas and 4k, but for effort and aesthetic value, my vote goes to Four Kitties...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've updated my description too - it was, of course, Signora del Drago.

--------------------

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by a chillas in the air:
Ana: There was nothing in the rules about having to be unique, so I'd say you're still in.

I second that - and not just because I would be out as well otherwise.

Don Enrico

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frozen Charlotte gets my vote. I tried to get the husband to dress up in a trench coat for me, but he wouldn't. But all these were excellent. I have no clue about how many I had figured out, but you guys never cease to amaze me with your creativity.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

totally picked my Snopester at random off the active topics screen....

Cinnamon

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

I briefly considered going home and taking a picture of Lizzy, but I figure that would be against the spirit of the thread. [Big Grin]

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep thinking that I also want to wait until I know whose everyone's is supposed to be, but I suspect that Frozen Charlotte will still win my vote, so I'm just going to vote for her, anyway.

Mine, of course, was First of Two.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew, if you are still confused about Pogue Mahone, I remember in a How did you get your snopes name thread, Pogue said that his name is Irish for Kiss my A$$. Pogue being kiss and mahone being the other part...

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

quote:
totally picked my Snopester at random off the active topics screen....

Cinnamon

That's a relief - it took me quite a time to work out that it was a powder on the paper [Eek!]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages