snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » 90s lyrics quiz, 1990-1993 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 90s lyrics quiz, 1990-1993
forcadragons
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forcadragons     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been so lonely without you, here like a bird without a song
= "Nothing Compares 2 U" Sinead O'Connor

although I'd say that the better punctuation would be

It's been so lonely without you here, like a bird without a song

--------------------
We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.

Posts: 130 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forcadragons

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forcadragons     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the one has been buzzing around my head

Too many dreams have been shattered around us
= Cathy Dennis (can't remember the song title)

--------------------
We're sorry to bother you at such a time like this, Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then.

Posts: 130 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buffy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buffy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:
You know you gotta have hope, you know you gotta be strong

"Dreams" by Gabrielle.

--------------------
I locked the door to my own cell and I lost the key...
...To Be Loved

Posts: 27 | From: Belgium | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrianB:

quote:
I am sitting in the morning at the diner on the corner
I know you said the ones in italics have already been answered but since others have addressed this one I will too. It's "Tom's Diner" by DNA

It IS Suzanne Vega singing, though, and she wasn't part of DNA. Wasn't there some sort of controversy or something, like maybe DNA (I didn't know they were called that) stole it, or something?
Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forcadragons

quote:
Originally posted by MizzyLou:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianB:

quote:
I am sitting in the morning at the diner on the corner
I know you said the ones in italics have already been answered but since others have addressed this one I will too. It's "Tom's Diner" by DNA

It IS Suzanne Vega singing, though, and she wasn't part of DNA. Wasn't there some sort of controversy or something, like maybe DNA (I didn't know they were called that) stole it, or something?
It was a remix of Suzanne Vega's original recording which was credited to "DNA featuring Suzanne Vega"

--------------------

jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You got me wrapped around your finger.

Linger - The Cranberries

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forcadragons

You spend ages pouring over these lyrics, show them to a colleague who gets one immediately and you go "Ohhhh! Yeah!"

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Careless whisper from a careless man, a neutron dance for a neutron fan
= "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" PM Dawn
according to my co-worker

--------------------

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Less sure about the last couple:

quote:
These bill collectors they ring my phone, they bother me when I'm not at home
I want to be rich.

quote:
I'll get over you, I know I will, I'll pretend my ship's not sinking
King of Wishful Thinking

quote:
You got me wrapped around your finger
Linger-Cranberries?

Edit: Sorry, spanked on that one. I had this page open for a while since work-type stuff kept interupting.

quote:
Like the crack of the whip I snap attack
Everybody Dance Now-C&C?

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ean

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ean   E-mail Ean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by forcadragons:
This is the one has been buzzing around my head

Too many dreams have been shattered around us
= Cathy Dennis (can't remember the song title)

It's Cathy Dennis - Too Many Walls.

--------------------
"Any more of this nonsense and we'll have a short, sharp visit from the Smack Fairy!"

"Music will get you through times of no love better than love will get you through times of no music"
- GiNGER - Something To Believe In

Posts: 178 | From: Shropshire, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"She was a Jezebel, this burstin' queen, livin' her life, like a bad sweet dream" is not right.

"These bill collectors they ring my phone, they bother me when I'm not at home" is not right.

The Snap song is actually called "The Power"

"Tom's Diner" is by DNA & Suzanne Vega. It was an accapella in 1986, not intended to be a hit, and DNA remixed it without her permission, but she liked the remix and rereleased the new one as a single.

About 20 left. Good job so far!

EDIT: Okay, I changed "These bill collectors they ring my phone, they bother me when I'm not at home" because the song was just on and that lyric was not in it. Stupid lyric site!

EDIT again: Oh wait, Elwood got it. But it wasn't part of the song. [Razz]

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon Shadows:
Can't play.. I stink at the 90's. Now.... if you had EIGHTIES up there... yeah, I might rule that one...

Now, that's a challenge. I'm gonna start compiling a list. [Smile]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
EDIT again: Oh wait, Elwood got it. But it wasn't part of the song.
???It's totaly part of the song. There might be a radio edit that shorts a verse or something, but that line definitely in the first verse.

I did misremember the title, though. Too proper. It's "I Wanna Be Rich" by Calloway. At least they didn't go with I Wanna B Rich."

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gnome
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gnome   E-mail gnome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All the denouncement, had absolutely no effect. Parents and counselors, constantly scorn them
De La Tour "People Are Still Having Sex"
Posts: 418 | From: New Port Richey, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
[QUOTE]???It's totaly part of the song. There might be a radio edit that shorts a verse or something, but that line definitely in the first verse.

Ack, sorry Elwood, it must have been the radio edit.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[ot]Umm DarkDan... 2 of your links in your sig line don't have pages anymore. sigh [/ot]
I have nothing else to add I just don't see you so much.

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages