snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Urban Legends Contest #7 » "A cite on the Internet is available to back up any opinion" game

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "A cite on the Internet is available to back up any opinion" game
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a recent discussion on the message board someone claimed that it is not true that "a cite on the Internet is available to back up any opinion". In this game, you find a cite for an unusual opinion. (Nothing too NFBSK, of course.) Then you write the opinion only. The next person finds a cite supporting that opinion, posts it, and writes the next opinion. (It doesn't have to be the same website, just the same opinion.)

I'll start (easy, I think):

"Eating soil is good for your health."

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Sep02/2759.html

"What we're finding out is that birds and other mammals are able to eat soil, and that allows them to be able to eat foods that are fairly toxic. Based on the same mechanisms of how that works for parrots, consuming soil for humans turns out to be a really valuable thing."

Bullets cause cancer.

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Propellant used with the ammunition has left deposits of a probable carcinogen on the firing range, training halted.

Abstinence leads to pregnancy.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But the truth is buried beneath the murk of time. One thing is clear though, as beautiful as the sanctuary is and as striking as the crucifix (El Sefior de Esquipalas) above the altar is, nearly none of those in the pews today have come to see the sanctuary or the crucifix. Instead, they have come from all over the world to this place in New Mexico to eat the dirt that lies beneath the adobe floor.

Some believe it is!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't type fast enough to play this game.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Propellant used with the ammunition has left deposits of a probable carcinogen on the firing range, training halted.

Abstinence leads to pregnancy.

A catastrophe for the conservatives: abstinence leads to pregnancy

America should annex Canada.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want YOU to invade Canada

I have a question, Ganzy: do loony blog sites count in this game? What kind of restrictions are there?

Here's mine: English speakers demand that "cite" and "site" should be interchangeable. [Razz]

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got a couple:

(Loony blog-type) http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive24/newposts/143/topic143797.shtm

(Definition) http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/letscomm/versus.htm

How about.... "Watching too many cartoons blamed for increase in criminal activity"?

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:

How about.... "Watching too many cartoons blamed for increase in criminal activity"?

http://www.coursework.info/i/46687.html
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/violence/effects_media_violence.cfm

Those airplane trails in the sky are really attempts to give us an uncurable strain of flu

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you settle for a genetically modified bacteria that is extremely resistant to antibiotics and causes upper respitory distress?

That took all of 10 seconds.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The government is up to it again

quote:
The strange-looking streaks in the sky aren't your imagination. They are anti-bacteriological warfare chemicals being tested by the federal government. And the public has been kept in the dark.
The moon is made of cheese.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to add my theory.

Manufacturers are adding mind controlling elements into the comfort and anti-odor shoe inserts.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.skepticreport.com/funnies/mooncheese.htm
http://www.planetfusion.co.uk/~pignut/cheese.html

Slavery is biblically condoned and therefore morally right

edited to add a site that doesn't have "funnies" in the url.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible condones slavery

Edited to fix URL

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

Manufacturers are adding mind controlling elements into the comfort and anti-odor shoe inserts.

quote:
Your search - "mind control" "anti-odor shoe inserts" - did not match any documents.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it's Jocko's turn to find an unusual opinion.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
I have a question, Ganzy: do loony blog sites count in this game? What kind of restrictions are there?

It's like the history game. You don't have to be exactly correct. Just keep it going and keep it interesting! I think real loonies and official sounding sites are better than loony blogs.
quote:

Here's mine: English speakers demand that "cite" and "site" should be interchangeable. [Razz]

For all "intensive" purposes?
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

quote:
Your search - "mind control" "anti-odor shoe inserts" - did not match any documents.

Cool. Do I win points for finding an odd opinion that doesn't have a site?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages