snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Weird News » Some compulsive gamblers may have a reason

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some compulsive gamblers may have a reason
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another odd tidbit from the Toxics Law Reporter, just tossed out because it made my jaw drop.
quote:
A series of lawsuits filed in federal court in Minnesota claim that a prescription drug taken to treat Restless Legs Syndrome has caused compulsive gambling disorders (Conway v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc., D.C. Minn., 06-CV-901, No. 2/28/06).
Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's very weird.

Interestingly, my brother's SO has RLS, and she and her sister just went to Vegas.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there's been enough anecdotal evidence of a connection that the drug company listed compulsive gambling under their "adverse reactions" on the labeling.

These suits claim (among other things) that it should've been listed under "warnings" instead.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's odd. I can see how it would cause "addictive behavior" because that's generally caused by a chemical imbalance, but I wonder how a medication could determine the focus of the addiction... Are there drugs out there that cause alcoholism or chain smoking or kleptomania specifically?

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Imagine if they found the drug that makes you addicted to hard work and healthy food!

Personally I find this bogus.I can see how a drug could make your system addicted to another substance,like alcool or nicotine.But how the hell does a drug give you an addictive behavior such as gambling?

Communication "Must...play...Blackjack!" Attempt

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

By changing the chemical balance in your brain.

I think it's funny, in a way, but I don't disbelieve it. And certainly, if you're properly warned about the possibility I believe you have no right to be compensated if it happens to you.

The question is whether they were properly warned.

Seaboe

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages