snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Weird News » Woman Finds Prom Dress 33 Years Later

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman Finds Prom Dress 33 Years Later
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marlene Wyatt went to a second-hand store to buy a Halloween costume, but what she found could be just as scary: the prom dress she had made 33 years ago.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051101/D8DJESSG0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kinda sad that, when you think about it, her "white double-knit polyester dress" had probably been sitting there for 33 years and no one wanted it. Not to mention she was looking for a halloween costume but happened across the dress. Enough said [lol]

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, not quite 33 years for me, but I would consider much of the what I wore in High School (mid-80's time frame) fantastic Halloween costumes. Unfortunately, the parachute pants I wore then had at most a 27 inch waist and the last jeans I bought have a 36 inch waist. Somehow, I suspect I will never have a waist undere thirty inches again.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My prom dress *was* kind of like a halloween costume- I rented it from a company in Port Jeff that specializes in weddings, called Antique Costume and Prop. It was a deep red skirt with a real hoop in it, a corset top, and a white poet-type shirt. I could conceivably find it looking for a costume. [lol]

My much-tormented boyfriend John wore a kilt, from the same place, and he looked really cute.

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(The proprietor) doesn't remember where she got the dress, which she had labeled "Way Retro" in her inventory.
That's got to be a little depressing, doesn't it? Something you once created to be the height of fashion is now "way retro"?

I'd love to hear more about the path of this dress. Did she give it away to charity or sell it at a garage sale or something? I hope so, bc otherwise there's a chance some loved one she nostalgically entrusted with a handmade heirloom went and sold it on ebay or something. [lol]

ETA-I mean, obviously not, but it would be...funny if...well...never mind.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure she gave it away years ago and it's been making the rounds between thrift shops and and people's closets ever since. She was probably thrilled it still exisited.

Reminds me of a recent situation. I wanted to be a southern belle for Halloween and remembered that my maid of honor dress from my sister's wedding in 1987 might fit the bill. One of the other bridesmaids had planned to take the group of dresses to a consignment shop to be sold as a group but I found out she never did. Sure enough, it was still in my mom's basement closet and I brought it home when I visited recently.

Of course the skirt was full so it still fit there. The top was form fitting and used to zip halfway up for a low back coming to a point. Well, a little strategic velcro and it was backless which was a mercy in the Hawaii heat since the fabric was rather unbreathable. It was a beautiful satiny fabric in a color that looks great on me. My mom also handed me a lacy shawl which she believed had not been used since my sister's prom ('82). That made the hackneyed surgery to the back of the dress less obvious.

My boyfriend was a civil war general (Union, since that was the hat we could find) and we played the parts well. The crowd on the streets of Waikiki loved it and we had the best time walking around. The only other southern belle types I saw were drag queens including Scarlett herself.

Hopefully my sister appreciated that this was a bridesmaid dress I could truly wear again.

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Babby:
Hopefully my sister appreciated that this was a bridesmaid dress I could truly wear again.

That sounds like the punchline to a bad sitcom set-up. Bridezilla shows bridesmaids the hideous monstrosities they'll be paying $300 to look awful in. "You can wear them again!" she chirps. "Yeah, on Halloween," the sarcastic bridesmaid deadpans.
Cue canned laughter.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, you can write for sitcoms when you get your Eglish degree! Don't for get to put "Yeah, on Halloween.... in 17 years!"

Actually my sister thought it was pretty funny. And it was a flattering style.

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've worn part of the only bridesmaid dress I have, as a costume... I'm pretty sure I could in fact wear it again in another setting as well but I haven't had a occasion for something that fancy.
The bride let us choose from a selection of dresses she'd picked out. The color was BLACK. I chose one that was separates, a top and a skirt. I wore the skirt (less than a year later) with a black corset top to a convention, however not on Halloween although the second time I wore was at a convention right before Halloween. I was supposed to be a sort of gothic neko (catgirl) and it turned out pretty good.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
That's got to be a little depressing, doesn't it? Something you once created to be the height of fashion is now "way retro"?

Yeah, part of getting older (hey, according to your profile you're only 3 years younger than me, so you should know! [Big Grin]

Kind of like when I hear a song on the radio, thinking "oh that was only a few years back" and finding out it was from 1991. Or hearing my favorite 80's music on the oldies channel. Not the 80's channel, mind you, the OLDIES channel -- the same one that plays 50's and 60's music. Wow.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages