snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Weird News » Hateful baby toy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hateful baby toy
Danger Echidna
Petty Experimentalist

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Danger Echidna   Author's Homepage   E-mail Danger Echidna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This bit of news is a couple of years old, so my apologies if it's been covered already. A quick search in the archives yielded no results.

Anyway, what do you guys make of this?

I just found this article recently, when reading Wikipedia's List of notorious subliminal messages. I'd be very interested in any of your comments, and if anybody happens to know where I can find an audio sample of this toy I'd greatly appreciate it.

Posts: 63 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the article:
quote:
"You know China is not friends with us," Skelton said, speculating about the explanation for what she fears is a subliminal message hidden in the toy. "They're trying to get back at us. What's the best way? Teach kids when they're young to hate. It's scary."

Hmm. No hate there. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
The Skeltons don't plan on taking Wal-Mart up on the refund offer.

"It still plays music," said Blanche, "and if we take it back we lose our proof."

What is she trying to prove? That the Chinese are trying to turn our infants against us for their own gain?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What do I make of it? It's balderdash, just like the other "messages" in white noise supposedly placed there by dead people (who apparently cannot get Haley Joel Osment's manager to take them seriously, even when Whoopi Goldberg is so busy with some damn awards ceremony). What else do I think? I think Wikipedia is a highly unreliable source if it places this dubious case under the heading "Only subliminal messages proven to be deliberate are located in this part of the list." Proven because some parents said it in the World Net Daily? [Roll Eyes] That's what I make of it. Thanks for asking! [Smile]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I hope they make tinfoil hats in infants' sizes. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zakor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
World Net Daily is about half a step above the quality of Newsmax.com.....and still less accurate than the news that my Rice Krispies gives me each AM.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danger Echidna
Petty Experimentalist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danger Echidna   Author's Homepage   E-mail Danger Echidna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't take it seriously in the least myself. But just for curiosity's sake I would have loved to actually hear the "message" they were referring to. I have a weakness for stories like these.

And like S&C, I found the parents' xenophobic reactions to the toy's Chinese origin to be hilariously absurd.

Posts: 63 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fitz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fitz   E-mail Fitz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While you are listening to that make sure you spin your Rolling stones albums backwards to hear those messages too.
Posts: 45 | From: Kennesaw, GA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danger Echidna:
I didn't take it seriously in the least myself. But just for curiosity's sake I would have loved to actually hear the "message" they were referring to. I have a weakness for stories like these.

And like S&C, I found the parents' xenophobic reactions to the toy's Chinese origin to be hilariously absurd.

Chances are, WorldNetDaily made it up. This is the same company that accused a talk show host I used to work with of "plotting on the air to kill the President." Funny, I was running the show the night they mention and don't remember hearing a single thing like that.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blanche does not remember the name of the toy, but said the box bears the Wal-Mart brand label Kid Connection.
Uhh, wouldn't any legit news service have here go back and read the darned toy so they can report the proper name?

My guess is this is a parody of the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders stuff (my kid has one) and nothing else.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here's another more 'legit' version with a picture of an actual newspaper clipping:

http://www.rense.com/general33/walmartbabycribtoy.htm

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
poutyangel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poutyangel   E-mail poutyangel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wasnt that like the lion king mufasa toy that supposedly cursed or something and it was blamed on how the sound was looped.

--------------------
I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm fresh outta bubble gum! "Roddy Piper"

Posts: 30 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the Teletubbies doll that supposedly said "faggot faggot?"
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
OK, here's another more 'legit' version with a picture of an actual newspaper clipping:
http://www.rense.com/general33/walmartbabycribtoy.htm
-Tim

That's the same paper originally quoted in the article above and the exact same couple, the only source anyone has brought up so far. So, no, it only serves to further convince me that the story was the couple's active imagination plus a suspicion of toys made in China.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
That's the same paper originally quoted in the article above and the exact same couple, the only source anyone has brought up so far. So, no, it only serves to further convince me that the story was the couple's active imagination plus a suspicion of toys made in China.

I agree -- I just meant that the first link's journalism was a bit 'questionable' at best, whereas the second seemed a bit more legit reporting-wise.

Without actually hearing a clip of the toy, I have to think it was just random white noise gone awry. Back in college, I had one of those "ocean sounds" CD's to serve as white noise while going to sleep (darned noisy dorms). There were all sorts of weird random sounds you could mistake for speech, whatever...

-Tim

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(I wasn't criticizing your link. Just talking about the subject itself. It's a good link for this topic. [Smile] )
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:

I think it only said that to Jerry Falwell and to impressionable little boys who didn't shower with Dad enough.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FlashleighGordon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlashleighGordon   E-mail FlashleighGordon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dad brought me a Pokemon Pikachu figurine from China, and when you touch both the little buttons on the bottom, it says "Pikachu"...However, after hearing the phrase a few million times, it was sounding more and more like "Fuck You"... The 'Pi' was softer than the rest of the pronunciation.

This same toy used to sit on my window sill, and during rainy weather, something would set it off and it would sit there making it's noises and flashing its red eyes at me.

Very very creepy.

--------------------
I'll write my suicide note on a $100 bill

Posts: 25 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

My kid has an "alphabet pal" toy which is a centepede that teaches the alphabet. There are 26 'feet', each with a letter on it.

One of the toy's modes is "letter sounds", where you press each letter and it gives you the letter sound, e.g. "tuh" for T, "duh" for D, etc. The sound for 'F' is a very pronounced "Fuh"

Quite by accident, I was messing around with the toy, and pressed the F, followed by the K. Rather than pronounce what would be quite an alarming word for a toddler toy to say, it said "Fuh (giggle) (giggle) ooh that tickles! K" I thought this was pretty amusing, and was a little amazed at the foresight of the designers. The only combination of letters that does the 'tickles' is F-K and F-C, all other letter sounds you can run togther.

Then I was at my brothers house, and they have an older version of this same toy from when their kids were younger. I was telling him this story, and went to show it on his toy, and on the older version, you actually could get it to say NFBSK quite clearly! So it seems they actually changed it in the later versions so the toy wouldn't swear anymore...

I wonder how many older brothers/sisters taught their little siblings how to make their toys swear before the company got enough complaints to change it?

-Tim

Ganzfeld

quote:
My kid has an "alphabet pal" toy which is a centepede that teaches the alphabet. There are 26 'feet'....

PLease tell me its really a caterpillar, not my least favorite animal in the world.

We had a learning toy like that, a frog. Of course, I had to try all the dirty pronunciations but among its thousands of real words, it was also programmed not to make any pronunciations that were rude.

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rehcsif Mit:
[qb] PLease tell me its really a caterpillar, not my least favorite animal in the world.

Yeah, it's a caterpillar I guess -- all those feet got me saying the wrong thing! (do caterpillars even have feet?)

In any case, this is the toy.

ETA: A quick google shows this to be a known thing (guess I'm not the only one who attempts to make their kid's toys curse [Eek!] ). I even found a review on Amazon that was commenting that you could make the toy curse, which must have been someone who had the older version like my brother.

-Tim

Ganzfeld

quote:
Yeah, it's a caterpillar I guess -- all those feet got me saying the wrong thing! (do caterpillars even have feet?)

Whew. (To me, giving a baby a centipede toy would be worse than a toy rattlesnake.) Yeah, they have six real legs and a bunch of others that act as legs.

The first thing I do with my son's toys is make them talk dirty. It's just for parental inspection purposes, you see. [Big Grin]

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has a "Leap's Phonics Library". It has all the letters of the alphabet (in the form of buttons) on these little book-looking plastic...things. Anyways...

It has a mode where you can make three-letter words and the thing will repeat it back to you. If you try F-U-K, D-I-K, or T-I-T, or any similar combinations, the thing will always say "Let's play!" when you press the last letter.

I was QUITE relieved, seeing how it was my daughter who happened upon the first of those three combinations! Yes...my wife and I tried the other combinations for the "sanctity of our daughter's ears". Yup, that's why! [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We had one of those- probably still do around here somewhere. It DOES sound like it is saying "faggot faggot."

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember several funny stories in this vein--one was a talking doll that several people in South Carolina bought for their daughters in 1983. When the kids pulled the dolls' strings much to the parents' horror the doll said "Kill Mommy!"

Except it didn't really say "Kill Mommy,"---the dolls were saying "Quiero Mama", which is Spanish for "I want my mommy." The company that made the dolls had goofed and sent them by mistake to an area where few people spoke Spanish.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cruztacean
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "I Hate You" toy?

I was suspicious because of the names in the article. (I'm an onomastician, which is one who studies names from a linguistic point of view.)

Was this by chance a Halloween article?

Tipoffs:
Skelton = skeleton
Blanche (mother) means "white", hence "white skeleton," suggesting dried up bones.
Gary (father) = "gory"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by Cruztacean:
I was suspicious because of the names in the article. Was this by chance a Halloween article?

See the second link above. The date of the article is January. I think this is a Christmas hangover rather than a Halloween stupor.
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Someone I knew had that Po doll. It was a great audio Rorschach. We never did figure out what it was *supposed* to be saying, but the interpretation that sticks in my memory is, "Faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... bite my butt."

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mommyrex:
...but the interpretation that sticks in my memory is, "Faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... bite my butt."

I'm sorry to bring the thread to the top but...is anything else thinking this would be a possible #1 Billboard Dance Hit, with several different mixes?

[lol] [fish]

SW

ETA: I just cracked myself up - I love when that happens LOL

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FlashleighGordon:
My Dad brought me a Pokemon Pikachu figurine from China, and when you touch both the little buttons on the bottom, it says "Pikachu"...However, after hearing the phrase a few million times, it was sounding more and more like "Fuck You"... The 'Pi' was softer than the rest of the pronunciation.

This is funny - I believe I have the exact same toy. A few years ago, I brought it into one of my college classes and played the "Pikachu" sound for a few of the girls in the class.. I was completely bewildered when, instead of saying 'oh, cute!', they gasped and gave me the most horrified looks! Honestly, I never heard anything vulgar in it and they refused to tell me what they thought it was saying. .. I guess now I know [Razz]

It never activated on its own, though, thank goodness ((I had a music box that used to do that..very creepy))

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Birgie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birgie   E-mail Birgie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't most toys made in China these days? I think it would take a bit of searching to find one that isn't. So I hope the family in the OP aren't buying their kids any more toys!

--------------------
"of all tyrannies, the tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 49 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 82 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]

quote:
It's balderdash, just like the other "messages" in white noise supposedly placed there by dead people (who apparently cannot get Haley Joel Osment's manager to take them seriously, even when Whoopi Goldberg is so busy with some damn awards ceremony).

But Whoopie played an Aunt to Haley Joel Osment, who was seeing an invisible person (Gerard Depardieu) in Bogus, so it all connects somehow...

Trish "Hey, fish face!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SkyeWynters:
quote:
Originally posted by mommyrex:
...but the interpretation that sticks in my memory is, "Faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... faggot-faggot ... bite my butt."

I'm sorry to bring the thread to the top but...is anything else thinking this would be a possible #1 Billboard Dance Hit, with several different mixes?

[lol] [fish]

SW

ETA: I just cracked myself up - I love when that happens LOL

Now THAT was funny! [lol]

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages