snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Legal Affairs » Parking lot laws (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Parking lot laws
Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Okay, this is how it seems to work in Washington.

If you own a non-residential property with a parking lot, and you intend to restrict the ability of people to park there, you must clearly post the conditions of impound and where the vehicle can be redeemed.

The tow company that removes the vehicles must be authorized, inspected, etc., and cannot "be associated in any way with a person or business whose main activity is authorizing the impounding of vehicles." (RCW 46.55.080(5)).

The property owner cannot "immobilize any vehicle owned by a person other than the property owner." (RCW 46.55.300(1)).

In other words, Albertson's can call a registered, etc. tow company operator to remove the vehicle and the vehicle will be stored at some approved yard until redeemed.

If you're dying to know the details, Joe Joe, go read this.

Seaboe

Awesome, thanks dude

I apprecitate it.

--------------------
I'm so broke; I can't even pay attention

Posts: 140 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the state of Washington, the answer is no.

so, did you know I lived in seattle prior to posting, or is this a lucky co-incidence?

--------------------

Posts: 140 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
JJJJS, look at the bottom of each and every one of your posts, where it says Location.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone knows you are from Seattle. We have cameras outside your house, watching your every move. We have your house bugged and the phones tapped

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh, Mr. Vice President! You're going to blow your cover!

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn it, 4K!! Don't spank me when I'm having fun

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
Damn it, 4K!! Don't spank me when I'm having fun

Oh, you know it's even more fun when someone is spanking you [lol]

Kat" [Razz] "hryn"

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While I can understand people getting upset at strangers running over their parking strips or lawns, or blocking the streets by parking where they shouldn't, I don't understand people who can't stand to have strangers parked in front of their houses.

I don't get it, either. And if it's really a huge problem for people, they should probably reconsider where they're living. Parking on the street is common in my neighborhood because the houses are 40 years old and were built with one-car garages and driveways. But there are plenty of neighborhoods farther out from the center of my town where nobody parks on the street. If you (general) can't stand having somebody else parked in front of your house, move to a neighborhood where on-street parking isn't an issue.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea of US law, but I have a very good idea of Swedish law, as my company sells a software designed by me to help the authorities handle the legal bits of such cases.

Short version: Vehicles may be moved from private property, but it's much harder than moving them from public property. In most cases, they have to be there 7 days befory you can act, and even so, you are not allowed to move it yourself, as it's not your vehicle. It has to be moved by the proper authorities, and they are usually not that interested in moving vehicles on private property as it usually just ends up costing them money, sometimes they get stuck with a vehicle that the owner does not want and they can't sell but it's too valuable to be demolished.

Even shorter version: Push the vehicle out from your property on a dark night, then call the authorities about the vehicle that's parked on the road in the morning. It's much easier, although not strictly legal...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been on the other side of ass-hat parking.

Annual fireworks displays in Cleveland, OH. Local residential areas have enough space for two cars between each driveway. What do we see?

Instead of:
car:car:driveway:car:car:driveway:car:car:driveway:
We see
car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:car:

Oh, and if you ASK these jerks to move or to NOT block your driveway, they go ballistic and yell and scream about how evil, rude and completely inconsiderate you are.

Of course, as it is Independance Day (without aliens OR Will Smith), the police are busier with stupid people with illegal fireworks and can't be bothered with silly blocked driveways...

Although I never did it, I still had a fantasy of using a blow-torch to bubble the paint across the entire offending vehicle... and not a painted area left intact. Sometimes I HATE having a small helping of morals... [flame]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
While I can understand people getting upset at strangers running over their parking strips or lawns, or blocking the streets by parking where they shouldn't, I don't understand people who can't stand to have strangers parked in front of their houses.

I don't get it, either. And if it's really a huge problem for people, they should probably reconsider where they're living. Parking on the street is common in my neighborhood because the houses are 40 years old and were built with one-car garages and driveways. But there are plenty of neighborhoods farther out from the center of my town where nobody parks on the street. If you (general) can't stand having somebody else parked in front of your house, move to a neighborhood where on-street parking isn't an issue.
I live in a 80 year old neighborhood where the average garage is a one car. Some people, like myself have no garage, though we do have driveways. I don't know that I get upset if someone parks in front of my house, but I might not like it. The general unwritten rule in my neighborhood is that we try not to park in front of each other's house. This makes it easier for everyone especially considering the fact that none of our driveways can hold two cars side by side.

With that said though, if I have guests or somone else has guests, they park wherever is avaialabl. Most of my friends just part behind my car in the driveway, but when I have a lot of people over we can take up the entire street. The same hold true for my neighbors. Nobody ever complains about this, it's just the nature of the neighborhood.

Now if I had a neighbor who decided to consistantly park in front of my house, I'd probably say something though.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
The general unwritten rule in my neighborhood is that we try not to park in front of each other's house. This makes it easier for everyone especially considering the fact that none of our driveways can hold two cars side by side.

I'd say that's the unwritten rule in my neighborhood, with exceptions for guests, of course. But I wouldn't complain if my neighbors were parking in front of my house because their street was torn up and they had noplace else to park. Or, as happened in an earlier stage of the same construction, all the people on side of the street had to park in front of the houses on the other side because their own driveways were torn up.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I live in a 80 year old neighborhood where the average garage is a one car.

You live in an 80 year old neighborhood with useable one car garages? Most of the people I know with houses that old can fit their cars in the garage--if they never want to get in or out.

My house is 75 years old. It once had a garage. When I moved into the neighborhood, employees of the business on the corner parked everywhere that looked as if there was room for a car and generally ran one side up onto the (narrow) parking strips.

They did not park in front of my house (No Parking sign), nor did they make a habit of blocking driveways. Still, visitors to the neighborhood would be hard pressed to find anywhere to park within three blocks of their destination.

Since I actually have two parking strips (one on each side of the driveway), I put a hurking big rock on the parkeable side, as I did not want people driving onto the strip. Worked like a charm.

I notice that since the business has moved these employees to a different location, no one parks up on the strip anymore.

And Malruhn, there's definitely a difference between strangers parking in front of your house and strangers blocking your driveway.

Have you tried calling the cops on 'em?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I live in a 80 year old neighborhood where the average garage is a one car.

You live in an 80 year old neighborhood with useable one car garages? Most of the people I know with houses that old can fit their cars in the garage--if they never want to get in or out....
Some of them are usable anyway. There are some neighbors that have newer garages and some that don't have any at all. All garages are out behind the houses rather than even with or attached to them. I have a garage, but there's privacy fence and 100 feet of deck between it and my driveway.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
In most cases I would agree with this. However I Raleigh some towing companies would take it a little too far, in my opinion.

Downtown Raleigh, like most downtown areas, has very little convenient public parking, so most of the parking lots are marked as "parking for [whatever business] only." During business hours this makes sense, and I agree that people who park there during the day with no intention of patronizing the business that owns the lot should be towed.

However there were cases where towing companies would patrol these parking lots at night,

And that makes sense, too. Or can make. We actually have a big problem for some while now with people taking up commercial space for parking outside the business hours and afterwards complaining about "police just towing for the money". Seeing that sometimes the trucks bringing supplies to the shops were delayed getting to the shops because those spaces were taken by partygoers, I can see the point. This may not always be the case, but more often than not such rules are justified, you just don't know the reasons and would have to ask.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My neighbor hood used to have an annual carnival and we saw many of the usual no parking signs. I can understand parking on the street and leaving the driveway free. I want my guests to be able to park resonably close to my home. OTOH, homemade "no parking" signs were usually removed from police and those who used "place holders" often found themselves with a fine for littering.

I see nothing wrong with my moving my vehicle to the street to gaurantee my guests' parking.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm curious to know what people think of my parents' situation: They live in a normal suburban neighborhood with 2.5 car garages for everyone and a nice long driveway going up past the house to the garage. In short, there's no reason to park on the street unless your driveway is so jam-packed with guests you have no other choice. Their neighbors not only park all of their cars on the street, they park in front of my parents' house, leaving their driveway and the space in front of their OWN house free. It really pisses me off whenever I visit. Am I being unreasonable, or are they the asshats I think they are?

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they sound like asshats to me, Sullen Moon, but it's your parent's problem. If they object, it's up to them to do something about it.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Sullen Moon:
I'm curious to know what people think of my parents' situation: They live in a normal suburban neighborhood with 2.5 car garages for everyone and a nice long driveway going up past the house to the garage. In short, there's no reason to park on the street unless your driveway is so jam-packed with guests you have no other choice. Their neighbors not only park all of their cars on the street, they park in front of my parents' house, leaving their driveway and the space in front of their OWN house free. It really pisses me off whenever I visit. Am I being unreasonable, or are they the asshats I think they are?

They should sprikle their own yard with gravel and then aim for the cars parked out front when mowing the lawn.

*ETA [Wink]

--------------------

Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Seaboe, I just wanted to confirm I wasn't being unreasonable to expect them to use their own property as long as it's available [Smile]

And I think I might just volunteer to mow the lawn next time I visit... hehehehe [Wink]

Edited to change a word

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
JJJJS, look at the bottom of each and every one of your posts, where it says Location.

dope! i don't know how i missed that.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
Everyone knows you are from Seattle. We have cameras outside your house, watching your every move. We have your house bugged and the phones tapped

Ha! jokes on you, chump. I don't even the phone.

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen people get all bent out of shape about parking before too. Some of it was justified because I lived near a college campus and when there was a football game or other really large special event people would do all sorts of rude things when they parked -- blocking driveways and stuff like that.

On the other hand, some of it was just the homeowners being jerks. In one neighborhood I lived in that was right across from the campus, many of the homeowners had a real hatred for college students*. They'd do anything they could to harrass students and try to drive them out of their neighborhood -- including making a fuss about parking on the street outside their house during a big event. They even managed to get one side of a major street designated a bike lane specifically to prevent any further parking on the street.

I could tell many stories about the jerks in that neighborhood.

* (So why do you live across the street from one of the largest universities in the state? Oh, that's right, you work for the university and thus your salaries are paid because of the students you hate so much. Jerks).

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First I ain't no saint. I have a two car garage and a big cemented area out back (that I use as a basketball court) but that's within my fenced in backyard so it doesn't get used for cars (I have to look after my alfa bitch).

The front part of my driveway only fits about three or four vehchiles so if I have a lot of visitors they often park on the street (mostly in front of my home). Sometimes it runs over in front of another neighbours home that doesn't mind or a beside a company (after hours). However no one has ever mentioned having a problem. I tell people to avoid those who might.

But (and I have a big butt) no one has ever blocked a drive or made things inconvient. I think the second someone blocks a drive or takes your parking area (if you legally have one, many appartments have assigned spots) then you can get a bit ticked, otherwise what does it matter? In front of my son's school there are cars parked twice a day for two blocks. I don't think there's a law against it. It's on a public road and I've rarely seen people blocking drive or walk ways. However I am sympathetic, what do people do when attending PTA meeting and such a couple times a year? There isn't standard parking spots available, why not use the road... and if you need to know my parents live across from an elementary school so they deal with this but most people are reasonable enough not to block the drives. I would like to think most people are reasonable and can live together peacefully. If not I think we should charge $5 a car and call the towing company on the problem ones. (Actually at a house I used to live at we had a panhandler that always parked in front of our house... sadly we didn't get up early enough to charge him for parking.)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get it - people are offended when you legally park on a public street in front of their house? Perhaps it's because I am used to living in New York City, but if a person were to complain to me about that, I would think that they were not quite right in the head.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother lives next to the Vicary House, her small town's local historical building/museum. When they have their "Vicary Days," which seem to be a couple times a month, they have lots of visitors on the cramped one way streets near her house. My grandmother, capable of being a crabby, old lady, often complained about the people parking in front of her house. If she knew, some one was going to visit her on those days, then she would put out a saw horse to block the space.

The real problem though was that the lines marking off parking spaces were wrong in front of her garage. So where it should have been an L on either side to mark no parking, she had an L and a T. Not entirely the parkers' fault, but they really should also have noticed the garage and "no parking" sign only five feet away.

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Banquo's Ghost

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Banquo's Ghost   E-mail Banquo's Ghost   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if anyone from Chicago is reading this thread, but back through the 80's (when I lived there) the Lincoln Park Pirates towed cars from just about anywhere (illegally parked or not). Those guys were so infamous Steve Goodman wrote a song about them and received death threats because of it. The Pirates hit me twice, though I was illegally parked both times.

--------------------
I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent...

Posts: 138 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rodh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rodh     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sullen Moon:

Sounds like my parents' street.
Posts: 403 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in an older neighborhood with most of the houses on narrow lots. Many of my neighbors have only a one car driveway or , more commonly, none at all. Almost everyone has to park at least one vehicle in the street. As per the unwritten rule, we all try avoid parking in front of someone else’s house. This can get complicated when you have guests, and most of the neighbors are understanding. Not so the people 2 houses down from me. (Let’s call them neighbor X) They have one of the aforementioned narrow lots with no driveway. They are just barley able to fit their two Chevy Cavaliers exactly in front. One day, the people across the street, who also have no driveway, had a guest park in front of neighbor X’s house. They came home, and had to park a whole 10 feet further down the street, which was apparently just too far for them to walk. [Roll Eyes] They left a nasty note on the guest’s car, informing them not to park in THEIR spot.
Then they bitched at the neighbor in between our houses- who has an even more narrow lot- for parking his car in front of his house, because it left very little room for them to park. Since I have a double driveway, I told next door neighbor that I didn’t mind in the least if he parked in front of my house. Even if I didn’t have a double driveway, I wouldn’t dream of telling someone they couldn’t park in a legal spot on a public street.

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
I don't get it - people are offended when you legally park on a public street in front of their house? Perhaps it's because I am used to living in New York City, but if a person were to complain to me about that, I would think that they were not quite right in the head.

I'm guilty of doing this. Just once though. My house is on a corner lot and most of the street outside of my house is marked as a fire zone for emergency parking so at most, two cars can be parked on the street surrounding my house. We have two cars, no driveway or garage so those two spaces are all we have. The other houses on my street are very old and expensive and it's not uncommon for the residents of each house to have 3-4 cars, so the streets are usually cluttered with cars.

I came home from school one afternoon to find someone parking their car where I would normally park my car and explained my house's particular parking situation. The guy in the car thought I was insane but did leave. I told my boyfriend about this and he also thought I was nutty. I just think it's courtesy to not park by someone's house if they have no driveway/garage (all the other houses on the street do). If he had refused to leave, I would have had to park about a mile away.

Interestingly, whenever there is a HoA meeting hosted in one of the nearby houses, I find 2 or 3 people parked in the fire zone outside of my house. I've yet to report these people, but I probably should [Smile]

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banquo's Ghost:
Don't know if anyone from Chicago is reading this thread, but back through the 80's (when I lived there) the Lincoln Park Pirates towed cars from just about anywhere (illegally parked or not). Those guys were so infamous Steve Goodman wrote a song about them and received death threats because of it. The Pirates hit me twice, though I was illegally parked both times.

slight hijack:
I lived in Evanston back in the 80's, in an old apartment building in which you had an assigned parking space that you had to pay for. The lot was patrolled by -- you guessed it -- Lincoln Towing. They were SOBs, of course, but if you needed to get an illegal parker out of your own spot, you were glad they were your SOBs.

I saw those guys in action a couple of times. Once there was a car parked illegally near the building, and jammed in at a funny angle in the belief that if you park your car at a certain angle the tow truck can't get you. It wasn't a problem for this guy. He just hooked a cable somewhere under the car, and used his winch to literally drag the car sideways out of the spot so he could attach the tow bar.

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jmcomeau

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcomeau     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny that this topic should be up. I just got back from work, and the parking situation is confusing enough that I think I'm going to use my day off to go to the office and figure it out.

I work in the downtown area, and all the parking is for two hours, unless you pay for the parking garage or park quite a ways away.

I don't mind walking. I do mind walking after dark when the businesses between me and my car are closed and the street lamp I parked under is out.

I'll have to let them know about that, too.

JMC

--------------------
Is it always this cold? Hell is so much warmer.

Posts: 166 | From: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jmcomeau:
I work in the downtown area, and all the parking is for two hours, unless you pay for the parking garage or park quite a ways away.

Sounds pretty typical for a downtown to me.

What about public transit? Then you don't have to park at all.

Seaboe

ETC punctuation

--------------------

jmcomeau

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcomeau     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeaboeMuffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by jmcomeau:

Sounds pretty typical for a downtown to me.

What about public transit? Then you don't have to park at all.

Seaboe

ETC punctuation

I hadn't thought of that, I'll look into it. If it's still running when I get out of work, I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion!

JMC

--------------------
Is it always this cold? Hell is so much warmer.

Posts: 166 | From: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhiloPharynx
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhiloPharynx   E-mail PhiloPharynx   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We live in a cul-de-sac where we are next to the corner. We have space for two cars that is in front of our house. The next two houses have no space in front, but they do have two car garages and driveways. The other side of the cul-de-sac is the side of a house. I really only get annoyed when they fill both spaces for extended periods of time. This happens either with vacations or with non-functioning cars. I'm sorry, but if you aren't using your vehicle for a couple days, why can't you park 20 yards away? What's worse is that our city has a 72 hour abandonment policy and several times they have simply rolled a nonfunctional vehicle far enough that the chalk lines didn't match up.
Posts: 64 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages