snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Legal Affairs » Weird laws in other countries (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Weird laws in other countries
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple questions about laws in other countries.

1. Is it true that in Wales its legal to marry a sibling? somone said it was since the royal family used to do it but i have no idea if its true or not.

2. Is there any place where selling or eating any kind of meat is illegal? Like not just pork or something like that?

[ 05. December 2005, 04:36 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The law on marriage in Wales is the same as it is in England. Siblings are not allowed to marry one another.

Here is a page detailing prohibited marriages in the UK.

Cousins can marry (apparently since Henry VIII changed the law to allow him to do so).

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Question, just because I am too lazy to look it up -- which one of Henry's wives was his cousin. I know his first wife was the widow of his brother, but I didn't know any of them where his cousin.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I'm grateful for that "apparently" in my post now! I just got that from the site I linked to and I can't find anything else now saying that Henry did married a cousin.

I can, however, find plenty of sites telling me that Catherine Howard was the cousin of Anne Boleyn.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This Wikipedia page has a nice matrix on Henry and his wives' relations to each other. I didn't know that Anne B and Katherine H were actually full first cousins.

AFAIK siblings have never been able to marry here, royal or not, for a very, very long time.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
This Wikipedia page has a nice matrix on Henry and his wives' relations to each other. I didn't know that Anne B and Katherine H were actually full first cousins.

AFAIK siblings have never been able to marry here, royal or not, for a very, very long time.

So only only children are allowed to get married?

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aptenodytes_Forsteriis:
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:

So only only children are allowed to get married?
Ok, it's 12:30am here, so maybe I'm just too tired to get it, but--what what?

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, A_F's joke is based on the fact that Mosh's post didn't specify that siblings are not allowed to marry each other but rather simply says siblings can't marry.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah ha! Thank you! I thought the double "only" was a typo. Yep. Time to go to bed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a law yet (and not likely to be), but inspired by a few existing laws...

Die at your own risk, mayor proposes

BIRITIBA MIRIM, Brazil (AP)
-- There's no more room to bury the dead, they can't be cremated and laws forbid a new cemetery. So the mayor of this Brazilian farm town has proposed a solution: outlaw death.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/13/death.ban.ap/index.html

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if it proves effective, it would be a great leap for science. Perhaps he has found the key to immortality through legislation.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead:
2. Is there any place where selling or eating any kind of meat is illegal? Like not just pork or something like that?

I'm not sure I understand the question - do you mean legislation banning specific meats (other than pork), or banning meat altogether?

If the first, there are numerous different permutations of different meat banned from sale in different countries. If the second (state enforced vegetarianism), not that I'm aware of or can find with a quick Google.

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveling Grandma
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveling Grandma   E-mail Traveling Grandma   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know that in the state of Kentucky there is a law that you have to take a bath at least once a year
Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveling Grandma:
Did you know that in the state of Kentucky there is a law that you have to take a bath at least once a year

If this is a joke, it's a bad one. If it's not, I dare you to find a cite.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Hammerhead, you might like this site.

It gives the source of the law, too. Interesting.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Pogue & TGrandma, while I did not find a Kentucky law requiring baths, I did find that 436.140 (which has been repealed) had something to do with appearing on the highway wearing bathing garb.

There were 11 hits for a search of "bathe" on the Kentucky Legislature site. It is clear from the results that the site automatically stems words and searches for variants.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mah-humbug:
quote:

Pogue

Here's a cite, but I'll confess the reliability of the source is a little questionable!

--------------------

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Shadowduck's link:
quote:
In Georgia, it's against the law to spread a false rumor.
Georgia, Home of Snopsters!

Don "UL on my mind" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowduck:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Here's a cite, but I'll confess the reliability of the source is a little questionable!
Especially since I searched the actual code and it was not there. [Big Grin]

It's not hard to find and search the state codes on-line (although there are a few states that won't release their codes on-line). You don't need to rely on tertiary sources that can't be bothered to give a cite. [Smile]

Seaboe

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
From Shadowduck's link:
quote:

Not according to the State Code search engine, which tells me the word rumor does not appear in the code. [Razz]

Of course, the sites I'm searching are the current state codes. These stupid laws could still be local ordinances or even regulations. Most people who don't deal with the laws on a regular basis can't tell the difference.

Seaboe

--------------------

Shadowduck

I didn't think the one about Kentucky bathing laws particularly likely to be genuine, though there are still some strange laws on the books here and there. I felt Pogue's response to Traveling Grandma was a tad bit vehement - finding the UL cited somewhere shows it was just a newbie mistake of repeating something without checking the facts, rather than a direct assault on Kentucky hygiene made up from whole cloth!

(Edited 'cos Seaboe posted again in-between and I don't type fast enough)

--------------------

Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:

According to your cite, I have broken several laws in Minnesota. All I can say is, good luck enforcing them. [Wink]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 108 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Jeez, Pogue... it's only once a year! That's not so bad, is it?

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
(Edited 'cos Seaboe posted again in-between and I don't type fast enough)

Shadowduck, I do legal research for a living. That makes me quite the wiz at tracking down this stuff and posting (I type pretty fast, too).

[Big Grin]

I also agree that Pogue was rather vehement, but then, Pogue is. I also note that people would rather read sites like the one you linked to than go to the trouble of searching for the original. I, personally, would love to know why KY had a law in place from 1942 to 1975 concerning being on the highway wearing bathing dress. I think that sounds potentially much more bizarre than merely requiring a bath once a year.

Seaboe

ETA: Washington State once had a law against hat pins. It's no longer on the books, and the reason was pretty straight forward, but it still sounds deliciously strange.

Oh, the straight forward part? Forbidden weapon. Hat pins are quite sharp and about 7 or 8 inches long.

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe.Muffinchucker:
I also agree that Pogue was rather vehement, but then, Pogue is.

Becuase I hate false "stupid law" sites and cites, and I hate when people use that false information to make my adopted state seem dumber and more backward than it already is.

quote:
I, personally, would love to know why KY had a law in place from 1942 to 1975 concerning being on the highway wearing bathing dress. I think that sounds potentially much more bizarre than merely requiring a bath once a year.
According to several sites, here is the exact wording of the law:

quote:
Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.
Given the fact that the law was under a section of the statutes called "offenses against morality," my speculation is that it was to ensure than people were not wearing revealing clothes in the street. The inclusion of "no police protection" seems to warn people that such clothing might cause another to commit a crime against your person.

Pogue

--------------------

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PallasAthena:

While I don't deny that there are definitely dumb laws on many of the books...I was baffled by some of the entries on that Web site:

Under Wisconsin they included the following as "dumb laws"
quote:
It is illegal to throw rocks at a railroad car.
Yeah, vandalism is typically illegal all over the place. Why is this dumb?
quote:
Livestock have the right-of-way on public roads.
Isn't that pretty much the case in most areas that have agricultural economies? Obvioulsy sheep and steer aren't capable of recognizing when to yield to traffic...and failing to stop for a goat in the road would effectively be slaughtering it...I would think this law makes a lot of sense.
quote:
It is a class A misdemeanor to wave a burning torch around in the air.
Should we instead encourage torch waving?

For California they listed:
quote:
Bowling on the sidewalk is illegal.
But the statute actually states:
quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person in the city, to play baseball or any other game upon any street, sidewalk, lane or alley.
Not really such a dumb law when you realize the intent and the actual wording.

The same could be said for this entry on their site:
quote:
One may not use one's own restroom if the window is open.
Of course, reading the actual law you will realize that they COMPLETELY missed the point
quote:
No person shall urinate or defecate on private property in any area exposed to the public view, or on any public street, sidewalk, alley, park, or other public place, except in a public or private restroom.
The law clearly states that you CAN use your restroom with the window open. What you can't do is walk to the front of your yard, whip out your penis and start 'watering the petunias'. Again, not such a dumb law when you realize the intent.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
quote:
I, personally, would love to know why KY had a law in place from 1942 to 1975 concerning being on the highway wearing bathing dress. I think that sounds potentially much more bizarre than merely requiring a bath once a year.

According to several sites, here is the exact wording of the law:

quote:
Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.
Given the fact that the law was under a section of the statutes called "offenses against morality," my speculation is that it was to ensure than people were not wearing revealing clothes in the street. The inclusion of "no police protection" seems to warn people that such clothing might cause another to commit a crime against your person.

Pogue

Thank you, Pogue.

Seaboe

--------------------

Shadowduck

quote:
Becuase I hate false "stupid law" sites and cites, and I hate when people use that false information to make my adopted state seem dumber and more backward than it already is.

If it makes you feel any better, there are numerous bizzare quirks in British law (both real and imagined). Of course, being British they're not dumb - they're eccentric. [Big Grin]

I wonder if Traveling Grandma's been scared off permanently... She hasn't posted again since.

Shadow "be nice to newbies" Duck

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug

quote:

I wonder if Traveling Grandma's been scared off permanently... She hasn't posted again since.

Shadow "be nice to newbies" Duck

Perhaps we could put all newbies to the Pogue Mahone test: I get to respond to one of their first posts in my typical vehement, nasty and abrasive manner (and yes, I have been called all three in the past few days). If they stick around, they are certified snopesters. If they leave and never come back, well, they weren't made for this place to begin with.

What say, you all?

Pogue

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
From Shadowduck's link:
quote:

Not according to the State Code search engine, which tells me the word rumor does not appear in the code. [Razz]
Perhaps the operative word is "false". The Georgia Constitution guarantees that truth will discharge a libel charge.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
Not a law yet (and not likely to be), but inspired by a few existing laws...

Die at your own risk, mayor proposes

In Turkmenistan, the plague is outlawed and it's illegal to mention Turkmenbashi is bald.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck

quote:
*snip* ...vehement, nasty and abrasive manner (and yes, I have been called all three in the past few days).

At least mine was the nicest of the three! [lol]

quote:
If they stick around, they are certified snopesters. If they leave and never come back, well, they weren't made for this place to begin with.

It'd probably do a very good job of sorting those who've lurked for a while and got used to the debating style from those who haven't... I prefer to think that if they stay a while, we've got a chance of converting them - if the first ill-considered post gets torn to shreds (as opposed to gently pointing out the error) they'll just go back into the big, nasty world to spread ULs and glurge as if they'd never been here.

One of my favourite things about the ULMB is that it's far and away the friendliest and least snarky message board I've ever posted on. I'm sure I slipped up frequently in my first few weeks here (and still do), so I try to give the benefit of the doubt until someone proves themselves to be a moron.

--------------------

Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Perhaps the operative word is "false". The Georgia Constitution guarantees that truth will discharge a libel charge.

I was taught that in the U.S. truth is an absolute defense to libel as a common law principle. Which means, of course, that it's illegal to spread a false rumor about a private citizen anywhere in the U.S.

Technically, it's illegal to spread false rumors about celebrities, too, but the standard of proof is so much higher that it's practically impossible to take the liar to task. And, of course, anyone the reporter thinks is interesting enough to write about is automatically a celebrity to the media, since the "public" has a "right to know" about anything the reporter is nosy about.

Seaboe (cynical? Me? Wherever did you get that idea?)

--------------------

Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Technically, it's illegal to spread false rumors about celebrities, too, but the standard of proof is so much higher that it's practically impossible to take the liar to task. And, of course, anyone the reporter thinks is interesting enough to write about is automatically a celebrity to the media, since the "public" has a "right to know" about anything the reporter is nosy about.

AAH a chance to be a nit picky argumentative twerp (lawyer in the common parlance).

There are three standards of proof/ levels of risk for defamation (not just rumor it has to actually do some damage, unlike traditional English common law):

1. If the person defamed is a public figure (not necessarily a celebrity), THEY must prove actual and legal malice. 1. The defamer made statements that were actually and demonstrably false and 2. The defamer knew that the statements were false.

This is the Sullivan Rule and is named for/was announced in a case in which a lot of other more politically sensitive stuff was going on. The Supreme Court had to find a way to keep Bull Conner (that's right Mr. Police Dogs on School kids himself) from winning a suit against the NY Times because a group of ministers and other civil rights leaders had taken out an ad protesting Mr. Conner's treatment of Dr. King. The ad was factually inaccurate and, under common law, libelous.

2. Ordinary Defamation. A private person is defamed by another person. Here the person defamed must prove that the defamer said the bad thing and that the bad thing damaged his or her reputation. In this case Truth is a defense (the defamer can win the suit by proving that the statements were true) See the difference?

3. The weird one. An ordinary person becomes involved in a matter of public importance (Newsworthy events and a private person). This ends up being much like category 1 but the court SAYS that the standard is somewhere in between 1 and 2

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Perhaps we could put all newbies to the Pogue Mahone test: I get to respond to one of their first posts in my typical vehement, nasty and abrasive manner (and yes, I have been called all three in the past few days). If they stick around, they are certified snopesters. If they leave and never come back, well, they weren't made for this place to begin with.
Oh, me! Pick me! Pick me! I want to be a certified snopester! [lol]

Okay. I'm ready. Hit me with something especially vehement, nasty, and abrasive. I can take it. (I hope)

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages