snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Legal Affairs » Man Sues After Using Glue-Covered Toilet (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Man Sues After Using Glue-Covered Toilet
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A hardware retailer Home Depot has found itself in a sticky situation, defending a lawsuit filed by a man who claims the chain's Louisville store ignored his cries for help after he fell victim to a prank and was glued to a toilet seat.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051103/D8DKMTUG1.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I not surprized? Whenever I go to Home Depot, I am rarely able to track down an "associate" to help me find items I'm wanting to purchase. When I finally do find someone, I can't count the number of times I've been told, "I'll be right with you as soon as I'm finished with [fill in the blank]." They never come back.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jmac
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That will teach him to use the butt-gasket!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well we know he went, but did he ever get off the pot?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stkelly52
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stkelly52     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else notice that yesterday's "From the archives:" article was similar to this story? http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/doctor/framed.asp
Posts: 6 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 22 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope some day I'll stop finding the thought of this happening to people funny.

I know it's not funny, but at the same time it is. [Big Grin] Perhaps it's karma and the guy deserved it.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
I hope some day I'll stop finding the thought of this happening to people funny.

It's called growing up.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it mean that the first thing I though of was, "I'll bet he looks before he sits down next time."

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
quote:

It's called growing up.
When I get that grown up, I'll need a pine box to sleep in.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's called growing up.
Wow. Someone either has sat on a toilet seat laiden with glue and are sore about it (no pun intended) or that was snarky and a half.

SW

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Finding the undeserved misfortune of others funny is juvenile beyond reason. You're damn right I'm snarky about it.

--------------------

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DavieV
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DavieV   E-mail DavieV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I take it you are mot a fan of slapstick comedy,
Posts: 94 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Finding the undeserved misfortune of others funny is juvenile beyond reason. You're damn right I'm snarky about it.

Or apparently America's Funniest Home Videos [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-- Mel Brooks

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Interesting how my reaction to a single event pretty much sums up my entire level of maturity in your opinion. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Your post pretty much stated that you find this sort of thing amusing on a regular basis. Then you made a feeble attempt to rationalize it by saying 'maybe the guy deserved it.' Yes, I've formed an opinion of your maturity based on that.

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll tell you what's funny: Seeing someone who enjoys laughing at people's misfortunes getting taken down a rung! [lol] Thanks, chillas
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Look, the guy deserved it, alright? Anyone stupid enough to sit down on a public toilet without looking first deserves what they get. Either this guy has the world's numbest ass, or he has a high tolerance when it comes to sitting in a sticky liquid. His sheer stupidity makes it perfectly fine to laugh at him in my book.

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THis reminds me of Jr. High. We had that mean sub that was the principal's sister. This woman was about 300 lbs and always wore these skin tight warmup suits with orange(suposedly blonde)hair. She was super mean and had even cursed a few students out b/c her sis the pricipal would always back her. One day some body smeared nail glue all over her seat when she left to get coffee and she was stuck to the seat. Somebody ran out of the class and was screaming down the hall "ms smith is stuck in her chair". We all took off and ran to stare as she was screaming "it's burning my skin"!!!! They had to call an ambulance that separated the cushion and basically had to hoist her down 3 flights of stairs. I'm sorry but every time I happen to see an old classmate someone brings that up.

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some glue bonds instantly and is very hard to see, by the time you sit down it could very well be to late.

I think it's immature, and if someone else thinks it's funny, I feel perfectly justified in smacking them across the head. It is never funny to be cruel to random people.

Just thinking about being the victim ofa prank like this makes me nervous to the point of being physicly ill, and my butt is planted safely on my sofa, I could just imagine what would happen if the wrong person got pranked.

Now random freak accidents, or the results of people's own stupididty can be funny. Spreading glue on a toilet seat is juevenile, and mailicious, and yes the people who did it, and those who laughed at it do need to grow up.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Scoops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:

I think it's immature, and if someone else thinks it's funny, I feel perfectly justified in smacking them across the head. It is never funny to be cruel to random people.

So it's ok to hit people who have nothing to do with the situation other than laughing and that's mature?
Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem in this situation is that the people who think its funny effectively encourage the action of the 'prankster'*. Whoever put the glue on the seat would be killing themselves with laughter and getting their jollies from seeing others find it funny too. Seeing it in the paper and have others snigger along only enforces the view that its ok to do those things. Comments along the lines of that "the guy deserved it" help the idiot believe he bears no responsibility for what happened.

Even without the tacit approval and encouragement that 'laughing along' provides you've got to wonder about the sense of humour involved as the whole of the humour derives from its association with the victim's bum. For people with a juvenile sense of humour anything to do with bums (and probably with poo as well) must be funny. This is just sad.

So I would think a good slap upside the head for those who laugh along is certainly warranted. They can join those people who call out "jump" to people on window ledges.

Dropbear

*I hesitate to use the word 'prankster' because in my book that word should not be used for people whose actions can result in serious physical injury - skin grafts are a real possibility as a result of that type of "prank" and skin grafts are bloody painful.

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:
*I hesitate to use the word 'prankster' because in my book that word should not be used for people whose actions can result in serious physical injury - skin grafts are a real possibility as a result of that type of "prank" and skin grafts are bloody painful.

Nail polish, anyone? [Wink]

--------------------

Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea all you need is acetone to remove nail or super glue and hot water for regular. I think just the absurdity of the situation is what the hoopla is about. I also wonder if they cant feel any wetness or odd feeling when they sat in the glue. I would think you could feel it right away.

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Your post pretty much stated that you find this sort of thing amusing on a regular basis.

No, it didn't. I said nothing about anything other than this incident. Besides, what other sort of thing is similar to being stuck to a crapper anyway?

Perhaps what you're picturing is an individual pointing and laughing while watching this event unfold and laughing because the guy suffered pain. That's not what I meant by finding it funny. I meant that as I read the article and pictured this guy realizing he was glued to the toilet I laughed- out loud a bit even. As someone else mentioned, it's the absurdity more than anything that was funny. Perhaps you find no difference between the two scenarios- if so that's just dandy.

Besides, I'm in good company. A few profs, a music pastor, my big sister... all some of the people who are considered to some to be unreasonably juvenille. Not a problem [Smile]

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Wrong. The fact you felt the need to rationalize it by suggesting he may have "deserved it" would indicate it was his misfortune and pain you found funny. If you were focusing on the visual you would not have had any need to do that.

As for "being in good company' - age and occupation (sadly) have little bearing on maturity.

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Wrong. The fact you felt the need to rationalize it by suggesting he may have "deserved it" would indicate it was his misfortune and pain you found funny. If you were focusing on the visual you would not have had any need to do that.

As for "being in good company' - age and occupation (sadly) have little bearing on maturity.

The "it" that I was addressing in the first place was "the thought of this happening". That was what I said I found funny. It was a pretty general comment regarding someone's ass being glue to a toilet. While I did address this man in my comment about karma, that wasn't even meant as a rationalization- it was a joke. Having a friend who lives and dies by that belief, I joke about it often because I don't. ETA: Had I known it would be scrutinized I may have expounded.

Do I have juvenille sense of humor? Perhaps. Does that indicate one's overall level of maturity? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat. . .
I would love to be there when Home Depot's attorneys argue that there was nothing they could do to help the man. A further irony is that that particular stall will probably be closed for repair for weeks. Anybody in Louisville want to go check it out?

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a part time employee of HD, I'm trying to figure out what was going through the Associate's mind at the time. All HD employees are trained to follow specific protocols in certain situations. Customers who are in need of medical attention have a certain procedure we are to follow. Calling the head cashier is not even in the steps we are to follow. If a customer requires medical attention, we are supposed to restrict the area, call 911 and then inform the store manger on duty.

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull:
As a part time employee of HD, I'm trying to figure out what was going through the Associate's mind at the time. All HD employees are trained to follow specific protocols in certain situations. Customers who are in need of medical attention have a certain procedure we are to follow. Calling the head cashier is not even in the steps we are to follow. If a customer requires medical attention, we are supposed to restrict the area, call 911 and then inform the store manger on duty.

One possibility is that it was a female employee that heard the guy and didn't want to enter the men's room. I could see how she'd may want to let a boss, or at least another male check things out.
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who sits straight down on a public toilet seat, especially without noticing it looks either wet or lumpy? Blech. He's lucky it was only glue, IMO.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

One possibility is that it was a female employee that heard the guy and didn't want to enter the men's room. I could see how she'd may want to let a boss, or at least another male check things out.
Even if it was a female employee, all HD employees are instructed to call 911 and alert the manager on duty. If it was a female, she could have done that without entering the men's room.

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even if it was a female employee, all HD employees are instructed to call 911 and alert the manager on duty. If it was a female, she could have done that without entering the men's room.
What if his calls for help were just that he was out of toilet paper?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

quote:
Originally posted by Roadie4JCM:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What if his calls for help were just that he was out of toilet paper?
If someone is yelling for help, I'm certainly NOT going to call the head cashier. If it were a female having a problem in the rest room, I would at least try and discern if medical attention was necessary. If it wasn't a medical emergency, as an associate of HD, I have been instructed to always contact the manager on duty with customer problems.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages