snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Legal Affairs » Lawsuits I'd like to know more about

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawsuits I'd like to know more about
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neinstein v. Dodgers: Decision by the California Court of Appeals in a suit brought by a woman who contended that she developed breast cancer from being struck by a batted ball at Dodger Stadium.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this helps:

quote:
Under Neinstein v. Los Angeles Dodgers, 185 Cal.App.3d 176 (1986), getting hit with a foul ball is an inherent risk for a spectator who voluntarily chooses to sit in an unprotected area of the stadium.
Cite

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A better cite.

Looks like the court didn't even bother to address her claim of getting cancer from a baseball...the court made a summary judgement for the Dodgers, stating she assumed the risk by accepting the seat in an unscreened portion of the stands.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity, can one really get cancer from an injury?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

- Pseudo_Croat

Yes. Repeated injury to the oral mucosa can lead to oral cancers.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

- Pseudo_Croat

really? what kind of injuries? accidentally biting your lip/tongue/cheeks?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soviet Kitsch:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
quote:

- Pseudo_Croat

really? what kind of injuries? accidentally biting your lip/tongue/cheeks?
If done frequently enough, also repeated burning of the mucosa can lead to cancerous lesions.

If you have a sore in your mouth, get it checked out. Mouth and throat cancers can be brutal.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Likely though that a blow to the breast could cause a cancerous tumour?

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure there's a doctor of something out there who would testify to it...for a price.

I've encountered such "experts".

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got an injury to my nipple and shortly thereafter developped a benign lump in that breast. I pondered a connection at the time, but it's more than likely coincidental. But if the claim is ever proven then I'll know why. [fish]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this study...

quote:
The most likely explanation of the findings is that physical trauma can cause breast cancer.
However, the courts have generally ruled that when you go to a baseball game there's an implied assumption of risk of getting hit by a batted ball (or other risks common with the game of baseball). One could make the argument that the warning on the back of the ticket stub would create an express assumption of risk, but the counter argument is that a) those warnings are boilerplate, and b) who reads the back of the ticket anyway?

But then you'd have to prove that the baseball hitting her breast was the cause in fact of the cancer.

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She must have had at least the idea that she could prove it in court.

As for biologically possible - I'm a simple MSc in biology, don't know too much about cancer. I recon it could theoretically cause cancer in the same way that wearing glasses could cause lightning to strike you.

Breathing in the air on the stadium parking lot was probably more likely to cause cancer than that ball, is what I'd say.

Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zakor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Breathing in the air on the stadium parking lot was probably more likely to cause cancer than that ball, is what I'd say.
Michael Moore flashback!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about issuing the following warning: Caution - may cause drowsiness, do not listen to baseball when driving or operating large machinery.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages