snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Ghost caught on office CCTV?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost caught on office CCTV?
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I searched but couldn't find this posted here yet.

Picture & short article here

quote:
The image, of a woman writing on pad, was taken by a security camera in a locked office in a US court room.

Court official Barbara Jones identified it as a ghost and alerted security guards. But on entering the room they walked straight through the image.

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Could this grainy blur be a ghost caught on film?

Some workers think the image could have been a reflection.

They beat me to it - I was just going to ask whether Ms. Jones happened to write her sighting on a pad.

(edit) Actually I'm being stupid - it can't be a reflection on the monitor screen because if it was it wouldn't show up on the video... d'oh!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the quality of the image, it could be anything. I wish they also had an image of the security workers who supposedly walked right through it, as they walked through it.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Court official Barbara Jones identified it as a ghost and alerted security guards. But on entering the room they walked straight through the image.
Why did she identify it as a ghost and not as someone where they weren't supposed to be? From the pic included with the OP link, that could very well be a flesh-and-blood woman sitting in a dark corner taking notes.

I would also like to know how/why the security guards "walked straight through" the ghost. When I talk to someone, I personally stop before I run into them. The guards would had to have run into this woman Night at the Roxbury-style to walk through her.

Either these people overreacted/misinterpreted, or this story is really poorly written.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ica171:

Either these people overreacted/misinterpreted, or this story is really poorly written.

There's no reason it can't be both.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps watching on the video it seemed to her that the security guards walked through the image. They wouldn't have necessarily seen it.

I agree. Not well written. It's a difficult article to understand. Pretty light on the detail.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a news video

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/10566275/index.html

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They appear to show the part where security guards "walk right through her", but to me it looks like THEY are shadowy half-there figures! Something definitely moves, but that's about all I could see.

She doesn't move though. Odd that they got the same thing during the day with their news camera, and she still hadn't moved. I suspect it is a reflection of a poster or something, rather than of a real person.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, it's a ghost alright, Pepper's variety.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm such a chicken but I figured if they show it on the news...geez...according to The Shadowlands North Carolina website, the courthouse isn't listed & I don't know how close any of these places are. I don't know what it could be...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I guess my question would be, is there a poster there? Is it possible that there was a person there? What could be causing that reflection?

I'm such a chicken. I got goosebumps when I saw that video!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it is even a reflection of a person, it's just a shape and we fill in the blanks.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks a lot like Sheen from "Jimmy Neutron." Is he dead?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still don't understand why a ghost would wear clothes...

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 27 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
I don't think it is even a reflection of a person, it's just a shape and we fill in the blanks.

I totally agree. The "daytime capture" of it during the news segment filming sealed the deal. They really think that same ghost lady was sitting there while they were filming that? Come on.

Similarly, just today I was browsing realty listings and saw this image in a virtual tour...my first thought was of those faces that supposedly appear in television reflections. Then I realized it was a lamp. [Roll Eyes] If you squint you can see it.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages