snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Be careful who you show your abilities to . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Be careful who you show your abilities to . . .
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across this comment on another messageboard:

quote:
I remember watching a documentary about 10 years ago on a clinical experiment on astral projection.... i young woman/girl who claimed to regularly astral project was recruited and the scientist waited till she was asleep then wrote 5 numbers down and put it somewhere high up and glued it down with the numbers facing upward. the camera was rolling the whole time and the 2 scientists where monitoring her brain patterns.

when the girl awoke she told them the numbers and where the card was located....

the day after that the girl dissapeared....

Anyone have any info on what this person might have seen, or is it another urban legend? I'm erring towards the latter. [Wink]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The set-up reminds me a bit of the methods used in Parnia's and Fenwick's study on "near-death experiences" and hospital patients' claims of taking up remote viewing positions during the process of resuscitation.

Their research report included this paradigm:

quote:
In order to test prospectively the possible veridical nature of out of body experiences, boards were suspended from the ceiling of the wards prior to the commencement of the study. These had various figures on the surface facing the ceiling which were not visible from the floor. If out of body experiences are indeed veridical, anybody who claimed to have left their body and be near the ceiling during resuscitation attempts would be expected to identify those targets. If, however, such perceptions are psychological, then one would obviously not expect the targets to be identified.
Bruce Greyson's group is conducting similar studies at the University of Virginia. You can hear more about it in this recent segment of NPR's Science Friday.

(An earlier thread about testing the visual experiences [i.e., out-of-body experiences] of those who report NDEs is here.)

Bonnie "If you can read this, you're following too close" Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages