snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Is this real? Vampires actually exist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this real? Vampires actually exist?
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ran across this:

http://www.vampyreverse.com/facts/faq.shtml

Say what???

Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure. Vampires are real. Also, God is an astronaut, OZ really is over the ranbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Considering that they say vampire haemoglobin has magnesium at its core rather than iron, I would say no.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spooky waffles....how the hell did that happen? There was only one post last night!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditional vampires that drain humans of blood, are immortal, and do all that creature of the night stuff? No.

Emotional, or psychic vampires, that have the ability to, in a friendly little "chat", leave you feeling drained? You betcha. Met more than my fair share of those.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is this idea that the vampire legends grew from observation of people with cutaneous porphyria (would avoid the light, very pale, have cravings for blood,) but it is just speculation. Historical forensics is a sort of medical parlor game. Porphyria would of cours not account for all the supernatural stuff.
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
supernatural stuff can easily be explained as a simple fear of the different. much like the current fear that everyone who has a mental illness is a potential mass murderer. there are those, but not all mentally ill people are capable of that. Probabally had to do with the belief that people who had cutaneous porphyria were in league with the devil, which leads to the whole evil/undead/witch/powers thing.
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But Cecil debunked the vampire porphyria connection...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I guess even calling it speculation was giving it too much credit. Not my intention.
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All of wich stems from the basic idea of Unnatural = Evil

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops. Sorry, Dr. Dave. Didn't read your post closely enough and didn't realize you were saying that porphyria doesn't quite explain everything.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that the first question in the FAQ is "Do vampires still exist?" Because, of course, there's no question that vampires were ever real.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like that the article says that it has reports of vampires in Eastern Europe from "professional vampire hunters"- because they would definitely be unbiased and reliable sources... And they complain that emergency rooms don't keep track of vampire bites as evidence. definitely worth their time, huh?

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have vampire tours in Newport (I guess they just loved the ocean view in the 1600s?). The way for people to know who was a vampire then was if a tombstone was slightly crooked or toppled over. That meant the buried person was a vampire who was bustin' out at night (they never explain the whole "So, why is the rest of the ground intact?" question). You'd do the old dig 'em up and stake their heart routine, and sometimes when a person got staked, they "gasped" (because the gases are being forced out of their bodies, but try explaining that science back then). So, because they "gasp", it proves without a doubt they are the freakin' undead.

Someone once said that if someone was very sickly - possibly from consumption a.k.a. TB - when they died (and again, the tombstone was off, so they digged them up to examine), there would be blood at their mouth, which was proof enough that they were a vampire.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages