snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » UFO's and Ghost. A question. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UFO's and Ghost. A question.
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess this is the best place for this question.

I want to know if anyone has experienced or seen a ghost, or a UFO.

My SO claims he thinks, that he has seen a UFO but he couldn't be for sure since he was lacking in a bit of sleep that night.

I am curious, since I have not experienced either one.

E*im not a ghost I swear*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UFO = "Unidentified Flying Object"

If he saw a flying object he couldn't identify, I'd say he saw a UFO. That doesn't, however, mean he saw an alien spacecraft.

Will that satisfy him?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK...I'm not crazy or anything, but I "felt" a ghost once...at least I think I did.

I was about 16 and I was taking care of my friends cat while her and her parents went to Florida. I was in her basement, cleaning out the kitty litter and something grabbed my shoulder. It was awful. I ran out of her house absolutely terrified and felt sick to my stomach. My shoulder felt cold. It was weird. I was afraid to go back there, but I had to because my friend was going to be away for 2 more days. The next day I went back with my cousin. I made some excuse as to why I didn't want to go back into the basement so he went instead. He came up right away and was like "Don't ever ask me again to go back into that basement".

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beckalina
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckalina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was nine or ten, I saw what was pretty much a full body apparition. I was at a friends house, and we saw her grandfather. We were sitting on her bed playing some weird game or another, and we both looked up at the same time and saw him standing in the doorway of her parents' bedroom, with his hand on the box that contained his ashes. (The house was set up weird. In order to get into her parents room, you had to walk through her room.) He had, naturally, passed away in the house.

Though it was obviously a benevolent spirit, I never felt comfortable in that house again. Lots of prickly neck and the feeling of being watched.

When I was younger, before I hit puberty, I think I was what people call a "sensitive." I could just. Feel it. The Edison house in Milan, Ohio was crazy. We went there in 6th grade, and I just remember being nearly bowled over by the energy emanating from the room he was born in.

The first apartment that I lived in after moving out of my parents' house had some very minor activity. It was a up/down duplex, and I used to get annoyed with my neighbors because they would have loud conversations in the middle of the night on the stairwell leading up to their apartment, which shared a wall with my room. After I moved out, those loud conversations kept up, even when there was no one living up there. (The two people who lived there after me are friends of mine.)

There was also the random things going missing and reappearing in strange places. For instance, my roommate had a spare key (one of the ones with designs on it) that she kept in a box on the mantel. One day, it was in the middle of the floor of our laundry room. We had been in and out of that room all day, and the key was right in the middle of the floor where we would have seen/stepped on it.

So yeah. I guess you could say that I'm definitely a believer. I can understand where some people may be skeptic and not believe in ghosts . . . But I can't ignore what I've experienced, you know?

No UFOs though.

--------------------
Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change.

Posts: 41 | From: West Central Ohio (Wee. Farms.) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 22 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen a UFO, in the sense of what Tootie stated. The official explanation was a rocket launch in California, but I don't believe that, it was too bright and large to be so far away. Not an alien craft I'm sure, but something unexplained to my satifaction.

I'm not crazy. Honest.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ericsmom:
OK...I'm not crazy or anything, but I "felt" a ghost once...at least I think I did.

I was about 16 and I was taking care of my friends cat while her and her parents went to Florida. I was in her basement, cleaning out the kitty litter and something grabbed my shoulder. It was awful. I ran out of her house absolutely terrified and felt sick to my stomach. My shoulder felt cold. It was weird. I was afraid to go back there, but I had to because my friend was going to be away for 2 more days. The next day I went back with my cousin. I made some excuse as to why I didn't want to go back into the basement so he went instead. He came up right away and was like "Don't ever ask me again to go back into that basement".

How good is the wiring in the house? Mild electrical shocks can feel like someone touched you.

When I was about 14, we didn't have the kind of electircal sockets that you can't put fingers into. So, this socket was behind the TV and I was trying to plug the Nintendo into it. So, as I was scrambling around, I felt like someone hit my shoulder. I turned around and no one was there. I thought my brother was messing with me, so I didn't think about it too much.

Later, after a few days I felt the same sensation again, but this time I realised that I was kind of touching the metal part inside the socket.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
quote:

How good is the wiring in the house? Mild electrical shocks can feel like someone touched you.

When I was about 14, we didn't have the kind of electircal sockets that you can't put fingers into. So, this socket was behind the TV and I was trying to plug the Nintendo into it. So, as I was scrambling around, I felt like someone hit my shoulder. I turned around and no one was there. I thought my brother was messing with me, so I didn't think about it too much.

Later, after a few days I felt the same sensation again, but this time I realised that I was kind of touching the metal part inside the socket.

Good point. I'm not sure about the wiring, but it probably wasn't the greatest. It was an older house, and I can remember being in her basement and the stereo would go on and off, change stations on it's own, etc. The lamp would flicker a lot, too. One time the lamp wasn't even plugged in...
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Did you ask him why he came back up straight away? Cleaning out kitty litter isn't the most pleasant job in the world

Also, I don't know any of the people who've put stories on here. I've no reason to believe or disbelieve you. I'll keep an open mind with all of them. But, for some reason, whenever anyone tells a story involving something like this they always say a few things that make the story swing towards the not quite right. Maybe it's just from other peoples reactions to your stories on previous tellings but things like "I'm not crazy", "I can see why people don't believe", "I don't care if you don't believe me", etc are things that are not normally said when telling a story.
I went to the park the other day. Honest. I can see why people don't believe me. I don't care if you don't believe me. I'm not crazy.

--------------------
Fetishists Unite! Anti-Fetishists Untie!

Posts: 215 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stalker:
Also, I don't know any of the people who've put stories on here. I've no reason to believe or disbelieve you. I'll keep an open mind with all of them. But, for some reason, whenever anyone tells a story involving something like this they always say a few things that make the story swing towards the not quite right. Maybe it's just from other peoples reactions to your stories on previous tellings but things like "I'm not crazy", "I can see why people don't believe", "I don't care if you don't believe me", etc are things that are not normally said when telling a story.
I went to the park the other day. Honest. I can see why people don't believe me. I don't care if you don't believe me. I'm not crazy.

The odds of someone disbelieving you when you say "I went to the park." are much smaller than "I saw something which I can only explain as a ghost." Most of us on this board have probably been to a park. We have no real reason to be skeptical about your trip to the park (although you could still be lying), as we know people go to parks quite frequently. With ghost sightings, many people do immediately assume the teller is a) lying, b) wrong, or c) crazy, which leads to the pre-emptive defensiveness.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

quote:
quote:

Did you ask him why he came back up straight away? Cleaning out kitty litter isn't the most pleasant job in the world

No, I never asked him what happened, but he never wanted to hang out at her house anymore after that (we were all friends). He would make comments about it being creepy, etc.
Anyway, I like to think there's a rational explanation for everything. So maybe it was bad wiring in an old house. I was only 16 at the time, so it was more then 15 years ago.
Oh, and I always start my sentences with "I'm not crazy". Don't you?

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a UFO once. When I was a kid, my mother had cancer and we spent a lot of time driving back and forth to San Antonio* for her treatments. One night, we were driving back home and my father noticed a strange light in the western sky. He pulled over and got out to watch it. Naturally, I wanted to see what it was and he pointed it out to me. It looked kind of like a bright star but the odd part was it would zip from spot to spot in ways and at speeds no airplane or helicopter could match. My father had some binoculars in the pickup so he got those out and watched with them and he said it looked like it was a ball of fire or something of that nature. He let me try the binoculars, but I couldn't find it through them. After a few minutes, it zipped off and we didn't see it again. I seem to recall my dad mentioning it was in the paper the next day. This was probably around 1976-1978.

I'd probably think this was just some oddly twisted memory of a dream or something from childhood except for one thing. A couple of years ago my father and I were flipping channels on the TV and some show about UFOs came on. We watched for a few minutes and he brought that incident up. "You were pretty young so I don't know if you remember, but..."

I have no idea what it was. I'm not saying it was an alien spacecraft but it was wierd whatever it was.

I've seen a couple of other odd things in the sky, but I'm pretty sure I know what they were. One was probably a rocket launch and the other was probably a sattelite.

* (I live here now, but grew up in a small town an hour's drive away)

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents talk about the house where I spent the first year of my life (and therefore have no memory of). You would always hear footsteps upstairs and toilet lids slamming down. The boiler in the basement was ALWAYS broken down. Even if you replaced a part with a brand new part, it would be broken the next day. And my grandmother (who my dad says was kinda psychic/sensitive) swore that she saw a "man made of shadow" walking through the kitchen while she was in there. It freaked her out bad enough that she said she would never set foot in the house again.

Also, my older sister would often hold conversations with thin air. Mom asked her who she was talking to and sis responded "Bobbie." Mom thought she just had an imaginary friend until she talked to a neighbor who told her that a girl used to live in that house whose name was Roberta, but she went by Bobbie. Of course, Roberta/Bobbie was dead. Freaked mom out.

As for UFOs, my dad tells a story about once when he was driving with some friends, he looked out the passenger side window and saw the full moon... then he looked out the driver's side window and saw the full moon... looked back out the passenger side window, and the "moon" was gone.

My own experience... one time I was looking at the Big Dipper and saw a 5th star in the cup part of the dipper, right in the middle (so that the stars were kind of making an X). It slowly moved toward one of the corner stars, then went in a semicircle around it, as if it were swerving to avoid it, then zipped off away from the constellation. Zoom, it was gone.

But other than funky dreams which are more likely a result of the silly movies I watch, that's the closest I come to any kind of "alien experience."

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never experienced a UFO or ghost siting. So I am generally interested in stories where people have experienced them.

E*E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom said she saw a ghost once, although she claimed later that it was a dream

She says one night she saw one of her aunts climb down from the pipes that ran outside her window, entered her window, had a chat with her and leave the same way.

My mom called up her aunt's house because she was worried after the dream. They told her that the aunt passed away that night. Even if it was a dream, it was a wierd coincidence that it happenned on the correct night

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend sent me this like a while back:
http://www.ghosts.org/stories/tales/dancing-cows.html

Now, whenever the subject of ghosts comes up, I think of this story.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
quote:

The odds of someone disbelieving you when you say "I went to the park." are much smaller than "I saw something which I can only explain as a ghost." Most of us on this board have probably been to a park. We have no real reason to be skeptical about your trip to the park (although you could still be lying), as we know people go to parks quite frequently. With ghost sightings, many people do immediately assume the teller is a) lying, b) wrong, or c) crazy, which leads to the pre-emptive defensiveness.
Yes, I completely agree. I just meant that saying those things are unlikely to convince people and in my case are more likely to push my feelings the other way.
You even think I might be lying about going to park because of the way a said it [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 215 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stalker:
[qb]

Yes, I completely agree. I just meant that saying those things are unlikely to convince people and in my case are more likely to push my feelings the other way.
You even think I might be lying about going to park because of the way a said it [Wink]

Oh, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. I was just telling a story of an experience I had. It happened such a long time ago that I hadn't thought about it in ages, so maybe I was a bit defensive about it.
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother in law has "felt" her dead brother a few times. i don't believe in ghosts so I just nod and smile when she talks about it. Good thing I love her or I'd tell everyone she's nutty. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also had dreams as described by Mad Jay. More than once, I've dreamed somebody died, only to receive an early-morning telephone call telling me it was true. I have witnesses, too, because several times, I've told my dream to others before the telephone ever rang.

Once before my mother-in-law died, she appeared in the doorway and told me she needed to see her boy. I told my husband we had to get back to the hospital but didn't have to hurry because she wouldn't die before he got there. She died twenty minutes after we arrived. I was not asleep, so I did not dream it.

When I was sixteen, my best friend was in a wreck. My Daddy was rushing to the hospital, and I said, "Daddy, you might as well slow down. Phillip died." When we arrived at the hospital about ten minutes later, we were told that Phillip had died about ten minutes before we got there.

I spent eight months of 1994 living at my mother's house in Georgia, caring for her while she was dying. I hardly ever left the house, except to go to the grocery or something necessary, because I didn't want to leave Mother. My sister finally talked me into going to her house for a break. I was supposed to spend two nights. She and my daughter were to take care of Mother while I was away. That night at about 11:00, I suddenly went to sleep in the middle of a movie I was watching. I awoke with a start, still sitting in the chair at 3:00. I had a cold, panicky feeling and could not go back to sleep. When the telephone rang at 7:00, I knew. When I arrived at Mother's, I was telling my sister and daughter about my experience, and both of them looked rather strange. It turns out that starting about 11:00, Mother had been having an unusually manic episode, and they finally got her settled down about 2:30, went to bed and collapsed in exhaustion. My sister found Mother when she got up to check on her about 7:00 and called me then. I think Mother died about the time I woke up, so maybe I was with her, after all.

Okay, now I'm sad. It's amazing how things like that can bring a tear to your eye after so many years, isn't it?

These are not ghost stories, but they certainly are cousins!

Edited to remove something that didn't sound the way I meant it to sound. Sorry.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, it has nothing to do with how you said it. I'm just acknowledging that even the the most believable statements can be false. I don't know if you did, I don't know if you didn't. Just exercising my skepticism. [Big Grin]

This sentence is a lie.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen a ghost, but I've heard one. Does that count?

About four years ago, I spent the summer living in a house with three other people. We'd been told the house was supposedly haunted, but hadn't seen any signs of anything ghostly for most of the summer. In August, the other three people left to do something or other for the weekend, and I was alone in the house waiting for the BF to show up. I was sitting downstairs in the living room reading when I heard someone walking down the stairs, and then down the hallway, but I never saw anyone or anything. Thing is, I knew all of my housemates were gone, and the stairs never creaked of their own accord, only if someone were on them. So I have to think it was a ghost.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I kinda have a hard time believing in ghost. I seen the ghost hunters shows on tv and I swear half the time I cant even see what they are talking about.

UFO's are different. I dont believe that Earth is the only place where intelligent lifeforms since we really don't know how big the galaxy is, and how long those lifeforms have been traveling around, and such.

E*E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Mad Jay

Another sort-of-ghost story, although this one was proved to be not a ghost.

In Feb of 2004, we moved into our brand new town house. After a tiring day of moving boxes around, we slept off early. So, early morning next day, I got up to make some coffee. As I was removing all the neccesary materials from the boxes in the kitchen, I heard a distant wailing sound going "Aaaaa". My first reaction was that it would turn into "Allah-O-Akbar", but it didn't!! It just died down. I was thinking "I don't think that was Allah O Akbar. THink of it, I don;t think there are any mosques here. Are mosques allowed to broadcast the prayer call in US?"

Anyways, the wailing started again. I started freaking out "Is someone dying?" "Are any of my new neighbors serial killers who have their victims trapped in the house?" I checked my entire house for intruders. No one was there. I looked outside my window couple of times. I didn't see anything strange. My mind started coming up with alternate plans of escape in case a serial killer breaks in. I started evaluating the pots and pans to see if they can be used to defend my house.

Finally, when I looked out the next time I saw steam escaping from one of the vents and the flow steam coincided with the "wailing". I had to check it a couple of times. The vent makes the weird wailing sound whenever steam escapes it

--------------------
Nico Sasha

ericsmom

quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:
I kinda have a hard time believing in ghost. I seen the ghost hunters shows on tv and I swear half the time I cant even see what they are talking about.

E*E

I'm a big fan of that show, but you are right. Everytime one of them says to the other "Did you see that?" I'm thinking, "Uh, no..."
macllyr
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macllyr   E-mail macllyr   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had several experiences that are related to ghosts. When I was in high school, my grandmother had been moved to a nursing home following a severe stroke, and I moved into her old bedroom. (I lived with my father and grandmother before she was moved.)One evening, I saw my grandmother standing in the doorway, shaking her finger at me like I had been caught doing something wrong. Then she turned away, and started to walk out of the room, and just disappeared. I went into the kitchen to find my ftaher and tell him what I had just seen, when the phone rang. It was my aunt, who was at the nursing home. My grandmother had died a few minutes earlier, at just the time I was "seeing" her in my bedroom.
I worked at the National Guard Armory in Vancouver, WA, for nearly 20 years, and there were many, many cases of "hauntings", including some pretty spectacular stuff. The building is about a hundred years old, and buildings all over the Vancouver Barracks are said to be haunted, as well. My DW and I were alone in the building early one morning, and we walked into the old day room, were WWII soldiers used to spend their off-duty hours, and felt an immediate chilling cold sensation pass through us as we walked through the doorway. As we entered the room, we saw an old vinyl chair seat slowly expanding, as if someone had just gotten up out of the seat. Another time, I was at home, and received a call from the police dept. The alarm on the weapons vault was going off, and I needed to go with them to silence it. When I arrived, the outer door alarm had not gone off, and the door was secure. The vault door inside was secure, but the alarm codes showed a motion sensor had been tripped, but not the heat sensor or the any of the entry sensors. When opened the vault door, a 980 pound file cabinet had been moved from the corner of the room to the center of the room. Several police officers and myself moved it back into the corner, and I locked the vault and re-armed the security alarm. When I arrived the next day, I re-entered the vault to file the required reports. No alarm sensors were tripped, but the file cabinet was back in the center of the room. I decided to leave it there.
There were lots of other things, like hearing windows open and slam shut, even though they were all nailed shut, and hearing someone in heavy boots walking up and down stairways that had been removed many years before. Lots more, but that gives you an idea of the place.

Posts: 5 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probable optical illusion of some sort: Around age 12, my cousin and I were playing in grandma's yard and looked up to the sky at dusk to admire the sunset. Honest to goodness, we both saw two suns in the sky for a bit before they merged back into one. It was just weird.

UFO in the sense that I couldn't identify it: One night, my brother and I were driving to the store and we saw something streak against the sky. It had the appearance of lights on a commercial aircraft in the distance but it seemed to be moving too fast to be one. We surmised that it was perhaps a shooting star, but it stopped abruptly and accelerated in another direction, away from us. It was there for a while, darting in various directions, appearing to be quite distant from our location.

Seemingly supernatural/paranormal: At a church retreat, one of my cousins seemed to be physically moved and violently attacked be some unseen force. She only weighed about 80 lbs and didn't have any history of seizures or anything of the sort. She seemed to be wrestling someone for a little while, a la Jacob and the angel in Genesis and then it was over.

Spiritual--positive: I have had the unseen hand on my back feeling, but always in a church setting and always found it comforting. Once in an especially ecstatic service at a charismatic church, I felt as though I was forced to the ground and paralyzed with reverence. It was not the least bit disquieting and when I recovered and sat up and looked around, it was as if everything in the room was covered by a heavy fog. Others reported seeing the same thing.

Spiritual-native: I once had a friend on the same floor in a dorm who very suddenly became suicidally depressed, expressing a strong desire to kill himself and confining himself almost entirely to his bed for several days. On about the third day of this, I walked past his room on the way to another part of campus and I felt a dark, heavy, frightening presence near his room. As I walked, I felt as if the presence was following me. I went to the designated "prayer tower," a place on campus reserved specifically for private, undisturbed prayer. After an intense, exhausting time in the tower that felt almost like some kind of battle, I went back to my friend's room and found he had completely snapped out of it at precisely 6:21pm, the exact time that I walked past his room and felt the presence following me. I mean, he was up and around, smiling, happy and had little recollection of being so depressed. Unfortunately, though he got better he became overly grateful over the course of time to the point that I really couldn't stand his adoration and our friendship eventually disintegrated. Worse still, I never really felt like I could shake the demon or whatever myself, and I eventually had a paralyzing nervous breakdown from the fear that it induced a few months later. I felt like it was haunting me, hovering over me at night and doing its darndest to get me to leave. I guess it won, I didn't feel like it left me alone until I left the state altogether.

Disclaimer: I'm diagnosed bi-polar, so the part apart it haunting me could have been some kind of manic delusion or hallucination. The friend's sudden depression and recovery are absolute fact that I'm sure many could verify if I tracked them down.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You may have seen a sun-dog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the "are scientists afraid of ghosts" thread, I retell my dad's UFO sighting.

I have seen a light such as MaxKaladin described that moved too erratically and quickly to seem to be an airplane, satellite, helicopter, etc. But it was just a tiny light - no details, couldn't make out a saucer shape, etc. So, who knows. *shrug*

Never have experienced a ghost. I do know some folks who have seen what they believe were ghosts - and some were kinda out there folks but some were about as skeptical and critical thinking as anyone if not more.

again, *shrug* Who knows?

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to see and feel a ghost at least a few times a month at the bar I used to work at. We used to call him "Shadow Man". It looked like a dark shadow of a man with a wide brimmed hat on. The original Erie Canal system used to run right out of the back door of the bar before it was filled in and the canal was connected with the river that also ran through town. The shadow looked like someone who maybe would have worked digging the canal. Several other employees as well as the owner have also seen this "man". It used to creep me out really bad and I never wanted to close the bar by myself after the first time I saw it, but when i did have to I made sure that i did it as fast as I could and I would say very loudly, "I don't want to see, hear, or feel you, but I don't care if you're here". After I started saying that the sightings became less frequent. [Eek!]

--------------------
"If you don't have anything nice to say...sit next to me"

Posts: 80 | From: Finger Lakes Region, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son saw two ghosts in the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia. He was about 8 and on a field trip with the school; I was a chaperone. He started talking about the people -- thought one was a wax figure -- in the displays in the house when we got home. I told him there were no people or wax figures in the rooms. When we realized we were talking about what might be ghosts I figured he it was a kid with an overactive imagination or just telling stories. So I called the Betsy Ross House to ask if there were any reports of people seeing ghosts and they told me "no". However recently (about 10 years later) we discovered there are indeed reports of people seeing ghosts exactly where my son saw them, in the very same positions he saw them in. The most common sighting is of a female sitting in the bedroom, the descriptions of which are exactly as my son described her the day of the trip. In fact, the people who owned the house a century ago were aware of ghosts so when I was told there had never been sightings, I wasn't being told the truth. The house is now on the Haunted Philadelphia tour.

He also saw a some local ghosts -- kids who were drowned by their mother long ago. He didn't know they were ghosts but noticed they were oddly dressed. It wasn't until he read the local ghost story book that he realized who they were and why they disappeared so suddenly.

Just recently he thought he saw a man step into the path of the car and yelled because he thought I hit the man. That quickly the man disappeared. We were driving across the country when that happened so we have no way of checking if that is a known apparition

All apparitions he has seen have been so clear to him that he thought they were solid people.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen a ghost myself, but I've had a few weird encounters.

The ghost in our old house likes to play with the water in the upstairs bathroom. I've heard the water being turned on and then off several times, when no one else was up. A few times it has been left running, and I've had to get up to shut it off. We've come home from being out to find the tap on, too. My husband has heard it and seen it, but he likes to pretend that there's something wrong with the plumbing.

Friends have many stories about the old theatre in our city, and I've had a couple of experiences there. Once during a play, terrified sobbing was heard coming from one of the towers that isn't open to the public. Our makeup person was in the back row of the audience, and it pissed her off because she was afraid that we could hear it on stage. One of our cast members was waiting in the Green Room and heard it clearly. The front of house mangager searched the whole area, because she thought that it was an elderly patron who might be lost, but there was no one.

In the same theatre, a cast member in another show thought she heard me sobbing in the bathroom adjacent to the one she was in. When she asked me what was wrong, and realized that it hadn't been me, and everyone else was on stage in that scene, her hair literally stood on end (her body hair - not on her head!) she was so freaked out.

The only thing that is close to a UFO encounter was a supremely weird experience I had late one Sunday afternoon. It was so weird, I don't really know how to describe it. I was standing talking to a friend on the street, and a very strange louod vibrating noise started, and increased in volume until it was almost deafening. At the same time, there was what I can only describe as a drop in air pressure. It felt like being in a vacuum, or just before a violent storm. Suddenly, there was a deafiningly percussive boom, and a flash, and everything was back to normal. The only thing I can compare it to, is seeing a plane break the sound barrier, but much much louder. Both of us were pretty shaken up, and actually wondered if a bomb had gone off. Then we wondered if a transformer had exploded somewhere near us.

There was no smoke, no flames, nothing in the paper the next day, and no one else I talked to seemed to have experienced it.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monster of Samos
Make Me a Fire Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monster of Samos     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More than ten years ago, I saw something from my back porch that I must classify as a UFO, simply because it was a flying object I didn't have enough information to positively identify. I lived in a home similar to a brownstone, with a two-floor front and single level kitchen area. It was connected to identical homes on either side. Standing on the very narrow back landing, I saw a small white light moving in a sort of Z shape above the buildings.

From my perspective, It looked like something very large moving very very quickly at very high altitude. I had the sort of frisson we all feel when we encounter the uncanny. However, reflecting upon what I saw, I now realize that the exact effect could have been accomplished by a light colored bird, like the peregrine falcons and owls that lived in my city, flying a little higher than rooftop level, with the lights of the city reflected by its feathers as it passed overhead.

One interesting upshot of this experience, though, is that it sort of started me down the road to my present full-blown scepticism of the supernatural. To that point, I had been a bit more likely than most to credit something like my sighting to the supernatural, under which rubric I place the extraterrestrial ideation of UFOs. However, when I realized how easily I had interpreted what was probably incredibly mundane for what I sort of wanted to be incredibly exoteric, I began to see the holes in the whole skein of supernaturalist thinking. Now, I'm ideologically somewhere between Michael Shermer and Richard Dawkins.

--------------------
When Hell is full, the dead will walk to work.

Posts: 32 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
I saw a UFO once. When I was a kid, my mother had cancer and we spent a lot of time driving back and forth to San Antonio* for her treatments.

I believe you. I lived in San Antonio for about 5 years and I once saw something similar there myself.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a student I moved with a friend of mine into the top floor apartment in a run down art-deco building. Over-looking the river and adjacent to parklands it must have been very stylish in its time but had not been kept up and now had a shabby and hunched over look. The residents tended to be student types or single parent families without much cash. The first night I was there I awoke to see the shape of a man standing over me. He wore a long coat and a hat and just stood there silently watching me in the dark.

The next morning I realised that the man was actually made up of the shadow of my dressing gown hanging on the wardobe, my shoes on the floor and some stuff piled up on some shelving next to the wardrobe.

I've also lost count of the times that I've mysteriously heard someone crying - only to find that its the cat (when she was still around) or the TV or kids next door, or the bloody toilet cistern filling itself (especially at the end as it shuts itself off).

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Sara:
I used to see and feel a ghost at least a few times a month at the bar I used to work at. We used to call him "Shadow Man". It looked like a dark shadow of a man with a wide brimmed hat on. The original Erie Canal system used to run right out of the back door of the bar before it was filled in and the canal was connected with the river that also ran through town. The shadow looked like someone who maybe would have worked digging the canal. Several other employees as well as the owner have also seen this "man". It used to creep me out really bad and I never wanted to close the bar by myself after the first time I saw it, but when i did have to I made sure that i did it as fast as I could and I would say very loudly, "I don't want to see, hear, or feel you, but I don't care if you're here". After I started saying that the sightings became less frequent. [Eek!]

Did any of you, the employees or the owner get a picture?
Just thinking that if it was a common occurence for me I'd have probably taken a camera along at some point.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages