snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Report: Britain Sought UFO Unit Cover-Up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Report: Britain Sought UFO Unit Cover-Up
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Britain's Ministry of Defense sought to prevent the public from knowing about the work of a unit that investigated reported sightings of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, a newly-published report says.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060925/D8KC3S8G0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always think these things are released just as a smoke screen to cover the even weirder things these people get up to.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where is the Doctor when you need him? Perhaps distracted by the lovely Rose Tyler!

Or what about those mini-skirted platinum blondes at the moon base?
They must be old by now, and no longer at their posts!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is undesirable that even a hint of this should become public and we are currently consulting the (Air Historical Branch) on ways of expurgating the official records against the time when they qualify for disclosure," under public records laws, the official said.
This 'Guardian' article mentions the story of a Mr. Hennessey who first made an enquiry in 1976.

quote:
The trail begins with a request, in 1976, from a UFO enthusiast called Julian Hennessy for access to the MoD's records on UFO sightings. A note from the UFO desk to the MoD's head of security on March 23 shows that officials intended to refuse him access on the grounds that the files contain confidential information and "very little of value to a serious scientific investigator".

But the note continues: "This is not to say that the investigation is not taken seriously. The branches have their own methods - and [the public UFO desk] has no 'need to know' about them - but we are aware that DI55 for example sometimes makes extensive inquiries.

Even into the 1990s the British government were trying to cover up their interest and it was only in 1995 that they gave up. Another quote from the 'Guardian':

quote:
Eventually, DI55 decided to allow its involvement to be made public. A note from DI55 to the public UFO desk on 5July 1995 said: "I see no reason for continuing to deny that the [Defence Intelligence Service] has an interest in UFOs. However, if the association is formally made public then the MoD will no doubt be pressured to state what the intelligence role/interest is. This could lead to disbelief and embarrassment since few people are likely to believe the truth that lack of funds and higher priorities have prevented any study of the thousands of reports received."

At this point someone, presumably from the public UFO desk, has scribbled "ouch!" in the margin.

'Ouch' indeed. I don't suppose we'll ever know how many documents were destroyed. However, I agree when the MoD report says...

quote:
few people are likely to believe the truth that lack of funds and higher priorities have prevented any study of the thousands of reports received.
Quite right. I, for one, do not believe them. 'Lack of funds' and 'higher priorities'? They may be part of the reason, but I suspect that there are, or were, other reasons for covering up UFO reports.

Dr. Clarke from Sheffield Hallam University who triggered the whole story writes for 'The Fortean Times' so it will be interesting to see what the magazine says about this.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
I, for one, do not believe them. 'Lack of funds' and 'higher priorities'? They may be part of the reason, but I suspect that there are, or were, other reasons for covering up UFO reports.

"Lack of funds" means "we blew the budget on jammy dodgers and wagon wheels for the office biscuit tin" and "higher priorities" means "we really couldn't be bothered doing anything as silly as looking for UFOs, so we did the things which bored civil servants usually do instead". It has the ring of truth, if you ask me.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Zachary Fizz said:
"we really couldn't be bothered doing anything as silly as looking for UFOs, so we did the things which bored civil servants usually do instead"

Leaping naked from filing cabinets, I understand?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
I, for one, do not believe them. 'Lack of funds' and 'higher priorities'? They may be part of the reason, but I suspect that there are, or were, other reasons for covering up UFO reports.

"Lack of funds" means "we blew the budget on jammy dodgers and wagon wheels for the office biscuit tin" and "higher priorities" means "we really couldn't be bothered doing anything as silly as looking for UFOs, so we did the things which bored civil servants usually do instead". It has the ring of truth, if you ask me.
One of the big gripes of civil servants is that, unlike people in the private sector, they don't get free tea and coffee in their offices, but have to pay for it. Much less biscuits.

Your insensitivity to the poor people in government who have to pay sometimes as much as seven pounds a month for a tea kitty knows no bounds, sir. I demand you apologise to all the hard-working paid-for-tea-drinking-and-brought-in-biscuit-eating civil servants whose machinations grease the wheels of government, and retract your foul calumnies. Or I shall be forced to demand the presence of you and your man at Parliament Fields at dawn.

With regards to the OP, this can only be explained by alien infiltration of the highest echelons of government. Perhaps, dare I say it, this is the latest strategy of those lizard-people of whom I've heard so much.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
With regards to the OP, this can only be explained by alien infiltration of the highest echelons of government. Perhaps, dare I say it, this is the latest strategy of those lizard-people of whom I've heard so much.

But how does leaping naked from a filing cabinet fit into their sinister plan?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
]One of the big gripes of civil servants is that, unlike people in the private sector, they don't get free tea and coffee in their offices, but have to pay for it. Much less biscuits.

As you know, Dara, I was for a while in the pay of the UK government myself. And I got both tea, and biscuits, for nothing, gratis, and free. So there. [Razz] Though admittedly some of the other working conditions were variable. ETA: And some of the biscuits had seen better days, too.

quote:

Your insensitivity to the poor people in government who have to pay sometimes as much as seven pounds a month for a tea kitty knows no bounds, sir. I demand you apologise to all the hard-working paid-for-tea-drinking-and-brought-in-biscuit-eating civil servants whose machinations grease the wheels of government, and retract your foul calumnies. Or I shall be forced to demand the presence of you and your man at Parliament Fields at dawn.

Be damned to you, sir, and your chocolate hobnobs.

quote:

I think people must be warned. Do you think we should share our suspicions on these boards? Or stay quiet, as ever?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what is more, those free bikkies in the private sector were so plentiful that bored eaters used to throw the round ones in the air, take photos of them, and send them to the hard-done by civil servants saying, 'Look here's a UFO over Warminster.'

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Waby
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waby   E-mail Waby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a civil servant. I was there. It was awesome.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/5084554.stm

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not annoy the farmers, Waby, this is what they do to people just doing their job, imagine what they would do to you given half a chance, sending offensive emails to them, anal probes under bright lights would be only the beginning and awesome would deffo be the mot juste

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages