snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Ghost busters try to be myth busters, too

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost busters try to be myth busters, too
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ghost hunting isn't as glamorous at it looks on television.

That's just one of many common misconceptions Western New York Paranormal, a local team of paranormal investigators, wants to clear up.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060430/NEWS01/604300330/1002/NEWS

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is true. I heard they don't even hardly ever use those guns that shoot ghost lasers. Like, pretty much never due to costs and stuff. Also, when a ghost possesses your woman and asks if you're the keymaster, she's usually just "role playing".

The Stay Puft thing is 100% true though.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The biggest myth about ghost hunting is that they have ever found any evidence for ghosts.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I am going to have to go with the ghost-catching lasers because those presuppose ghosts. Therefore your myth serves as a baseline in terms of bigness to mine.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, of course real ghost hunting isn't glamorous. The Ghost Hunters (on the SciFi channel) work for RotoRooter, don't they?

I still don't understand how the concept of dousing rods are supposed to show signs of activity. I thought they showed signs (alledgedly) of water underground. How are ghosts and water related, exactly?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People drink water, the water is in the people. The people die and become ghosts, therefore the ghosts are watery. Therefore the dousing rods work. [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The biggest myth about ghostbusting is that you shouldn't cross the streams. Actually, it is okay to do that.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 602 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The biggest myth about ghostbusting is that you shouldn't cross the streams. Actually, it is okay to do that.
As long as you don't change hoses while you're doing it.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Well, of course real ghost hunting isn't glamorous. The Ghost Hunters (on the SciFi channel) work for RotoRooter, don't they?

I still don't understand how the concept of dousing rods are supposed to show signs of activity. I thought they showed signs (alledgedly) of water underground. How are ghosts and water related, exactly?

Downsing rods are a way for the person's chi to be directed to find energy. It can be the gaia energy of clean flowing water. Or it can be the paranormal energy of a ghost. It is just a tool like a pencil can be used to sketch a courtroom or write a shopping list. It all depends on the control and specific training of the holder.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People drink water, the water is in the people. The people die and become ghosts, therefore the ghosts are watery. Therefore the dousing rods work.
Then you should be able to flood a haunted house with liquid nitrogen and pull out the stiff ghosts. It works with termites.

- snopes

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think flooding the walls with liquid nitrogen would cause a whole lot more damage than termites (or ghosts) would.

snopes, haven't you noticed the white dust all over everything when you flood with liquid nitrogen? That is the exploded bodies of the watery ghosts.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Providing the walls are dry then the liquid nitrogen shouldn't really do any harm. And flooding the termites must surely be localised applications rather than a literal flood simply down to cost/convenience.
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
The biggest myth about ghost hunting is that they have ever found any evidence for ghosts.

There have been lots of strange cold spots near thick stone walls in the shadows though!!!!

I know I'm convinced

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait a minute...you mean those guys from GhostHunters work for RotoRooter too? They aren't making enough money to survive on with the ghost hunting business? What?!?!

--------------------
"If you don't have anything nice to say...sit next to me"

Posts: 80 | From: Finger Lakes Region, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it should be noted at this point that most paranormal investigators do such investigations for very little money, or even free. There's not even such a thing as an accredited PI, at least that I know of. Many do it for the love of the chase and/or debunking. YMMV

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages