snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Girl Survives Lightning Strike That Evaporated Gold Cross Pendant on Her Neck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girl Survives Lightning Strike That Evaporated Gold Cross Pendant on Her Neck
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A 16-year-old girl has survived a direct lightning strike. The gold cross pendant on a chain melted and evaporated from the girl’s neck.

http://mosnews.com/news/2006/07/19/boutlightning.shtml

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The glurge which will no doubt be written about this could go either way... I suspect the "saved by the cross" angle will win out over the "overt displays of religion attracts divine vengance" angle, but you never know.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are only a few people who survived a lightning strike, and most of them develop telepathic or psychic abilities,” says her doctor.
Okay... Do they have some sort of proof of this? [Razz]
Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FOAF I know, but... a brother of a friend of mine was struck by lightning and survived. I talked to him about it. He was holding an umbrella, and lightning struck the tip of it. Apparantly it melted the soles of his shoes! Dunno about any psychic powers though! Although he did always seem to call when his sister and I were getting...intimate... [Eek!]

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
Dunno about any psychic powers though! Although he did always seem to call when his sister and I were getting...intimate... [Eek!]

[lol] Well there's your proof right there, Mythophobia.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 206 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mythophobia:
quote:
There are only a few people who survived a lightning strike, and most of them develop telepathic or psychic abilities,” says her doctor.
Okay... Do they have some sort of proof of this? [Razz]
Well, I've had a quick check through the standard literature on the subject, and I think that to say "most" is something of an exaggeration, at best.

In fact, it seems more common to find lightning strikes being involved with time travel, or revivification of the dead (there was even one case from 1968 where a tailor's dummy seems to have been brought to life).

Where people have gained unusual powers from lightning, they seem to more often be of a physical, rather than mental nature – though even here, it's difficult to be certain, since there is frequently some other element involved.

The classic example, of course, was in 1956, when a Barry Allen, a police scientist, developed the ability to move at superhuman speed after being struck by a freak bolt of lightning while working in his laboratory. Significantly, though, he was soaked in an apparently random mixture of chemicals at the time.

Almost unbelievably, only three years later, the exact same bizarre sequence of events happened to his wife's ten-year-old nephew – with the same result!

The only instance I've been able to find so far of unusual abilities resulting purely from lightning happened in 1964, when New York electricity worker Maxwell Dillon is reported to have been struck by lightning while working during an electrical storm, and subsequently became what the sources describe as "a living electrical capacitor", able to absorb and discharge vast amounts of electrical power at will. Sadly, Mr Dillon seems to have used his new-found talents to pursue a life of crime.

Veeble "you couldn't make it up" Fetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:

The classic example, of course, was in 1956, when a Barry Allen, a police scientist, developed the ability to move at superhuman speed after being struck by a freak bolt of lightning while working in his laboratory. Significantly, though, he was soaked in an apparently random mixture of chemicals at the time.

Almost unbelievably, only three years later, the exact same bizarre sequence of events happened to his wife's ten-year-old nephew – with the same result!

Yes, well in one report of Barry's experience, the lightning actually stopped in mid-air and started talking to Barry... so this was obviously not normal lightning.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You read too many comic books, Veeble. [Wink]

- Pseudo "fanboy" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 22 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
You read too many comic books, Veeble. [Wink]

- Pseudo "fanboy" Croat

This is possible, of course. In my defence, I rarely rely on them when forming a prognosis on a patient. [Wink]

"Few people survive exposure to extreme radiation, and most of them grow to heights of fifty feet or more."

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Singing Psychic had obtained her powers through a lightning bold, but checking her website, I see she was actually hit by a lumber truck. That might be different, somehow.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea that this was an act of the Christian God is too ludicrous to even consider.

Clearly, Zeus is tired of the new guy getting all the attention.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this information about lighting strikes and death at NOAA. It look like you have only about a 25% chance of dieing from a lighting strike. By this data I would have to say that most live and not die.

Edit:

I apologize to these people for using a ".gov" site. I should remember that there is a conspiracy to hide the truth.

I know. [fish]

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Clearly, Zeus is tired of the new guy getting all the attention.
Bah, everyone knows that it was Thor. Zeus is old and retired by now.

----

Another lightning incident:

Thor strikes down knight!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,861375,00.html (in Swedish)

At a medieval festival, the jousting was disrupted by heavy rain. The people went inside tents to seek shelter, and the "knights" took of their armour. When the rain stopped, one of them went outside to gather up their gear, and was struck by lightning and killed instantly.

Too bad he took off his armour, it could very well had saved him, acting like a lightning rod and protecting him like a Faraday cage.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whichever deity it was is clearly getting bored- he did it backwards!!
quote:

“I was running to the tree for shelter, when thunder struck very near, so loudly that I covered my ears, then I saw a flash of light right in front of me…"

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages